Connall Courtney joins Team ILR
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Connall Courtney joins Team ILR
[Image: lougherplainlogo.jpg]

Reigning Irish and Ulster 125/300 Production short circuit champion, 17 year old Connall Courtney will make his British Championship debut this year as the latest addition to Ian Lougher's Team ILR set-up.

The Warrenpoint rider, who scored no less than 23 podiums, including 9 wins last season, will compete in the Moto 3 British Championship. Still at school, the double champion, in only his second full season of racing, had an outing a Magny Cours in France towards the end of last season, where he took part in the European Pata Honda European Cup Championship.

Despite a practice spill and technical problems, Connall made impressive progress, before being forced to retire at half distance.

For 2016, Connall, looked set to contest the 600 Irish Championship, but decided that he wanted to remain in the smaller classes for the time being with a view to gaining more experience, before moving up to bigger machinery. And when an opportunity arose to ride under the tutoring of one of our most respected racers Ian Lougher with his wealth of racing experience, plus being in one of the highest domestic championships in the world, this was simply an offer to good to refuse.

Connall is honoured that Ian has offered him this opportunity and is getting the chance to race in a professional respected team such as Team ILR.
Lougher, no stranger to Irish motor cycle race fans, runs a very busy race team, contesting the 1000 Superstock and Moto3 races in the British Championship, along with his own race outings at Scarborough and the Manx Classic TT etc.

Last season was the team's first foray into the Motostar Moto3 class, with Dutch newcomer Vasco Van Der Valk being the only rider to score points in every race, a testament to the reliability of the Team ILR 250 Hondas and the dedication, technical know-how and experience of the team.

Connall will get acquainted with his standard class Moto 3 Honda when Team ILR have a pre-season test at Kirkistown next month. The team will also use the Easter meeting at Bishopscourt, and the Official BSB test at Donington on March 31st to give Connall every chance to familiarise himself with his new bike before the start of the 2016 British Championship at Silverstone on the weekend of the 8/9/10th April.

Ian Lougher; 

''As a race team owner/manager, I am always on the look out for exciting and up and coming new talent in racing. Living here in Northern Ireland, I of course noticed and kept an eye on Connall Courtney's progress throughout 2015.

Despite his short time in road racing he has shone quite a bit already, going on to win the Irish & Ulster 300 Production Championships.

So it's with great satisfaction that we at Team ILR, have been able to sign up Connall for the BSB Moto 3 standard cup class, and look forward to teaching and working with him, and help him to progress in the sport.''

[Image: lougher&courtney.jpg]
Pictured at the NI Motorcycle Festival are Team ILR owner/manager Ian Lougher
with Connall Courtney and his dad Tommy.
Photo: Team ILR

Connall Courtney: 

"I’m really happy with the opportunity I have for this season.

I want to make as much progress as a rider this season and to join this team and to be in such a highly competitive championship will help me improve a lot. I am really motivated for this and I am training hard to be ready for the start of the season.

Thanks to everyone who has made this possible."

Tommy Courtney: (Connall's Dad) 

"It is fantastic to look back on such a short space of time and see the progress Connall has made in the racing scene.

To win the Irish & Ulster Championships in his first full season was a dream come true, and now to get teamed up with someone of Ian Lougher’s standing in Team ILR and in the BSB Moto3 Championship is just every racer's goal.

So we are just excited to be in such a high level race team and will be working hard to learn and progress as much as we can with this opportunity.

This also would not be possible without some key people helping to make this all happen.

Mr Rory Byrne of Modern Tyres, Brian Jones Mototech, Martin Whyte, Baylon McCaughey and so many friends and family.
I would just like to sincerely thank you all.”

(This post was last modified: 06-02-2016, 04:13 PM by Malcolm.)
06-02-2016, 02:52 PM
Website Find Reply