Isle of Man 50p ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Isle of Man 50p ?
One of my childminder children gave me a coin that she had got in her change today. She wondered who the two racers are on the back of the coin ?? i said i would find out ? anyone please...
cheers,
Stella.
P.S. its 1997 issue
17-11-2003, 07:15 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Isle of Man 50p ?
Think Robert Dunlop was one...
17-11-2003, 08:07 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

On the subject of Manx money why is it that their currency has the Queen of Englands head on but is not accepted legal tender in England?
17-11-2003, 08:50 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

IT IS LEGAL TENDER IN BRITAIN.I SPENT ALL MY LEFTOVER NOTES AND COINS IN MY LOCAL PUB WHEN RETURNING THIS YEAR AND THE LANDLORD JUST BANKED THEM WITH HIS NEXT DAYS BANKING AND WAS CREDITED A BRITISH POUND FOR THEM.
17-11-2003, 09:05 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yes, it is ignorance not law which causes the problem. We sometimes have the same difficulty with Scottish notes in England. Fortunately the Manx are happy to accept anyone's money!
17-11-2003, 09:16 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

You want to try Ulster Bank (sterling!) notes in England Helen!!

Fight guaranteed . . . . . . . .
17-11-2003, 09:39 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Arthur i beg to differ the only way to get rid of Manx coinage is vending machines or pay phones, otherwise keep hold of it till your next visit.
17-11-2003, 10:02 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

WELL WE BEG TO DIFFER BUT I CAN ASSURE YOU THAT ANY CURRENCY WHICH IS GUARANTEED BY THE BANK OF ENGLAND IE STERLING [I PROMISE TO PAY] IS LEGAL TENDER IN GREAT BRITAIN.IF IT WAS'NT IT WOULD BE ILLEGAL TO USE IN VENDING MACHINES OR TELEPHONE BOOTHS
17-11-2003, 10:58 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

How can we stop New Zealanders bringing their undervalued coinage to Australia everytime they come over here? The coins are the same size but they are 13% less value. They smuggle them in in their gumboots.
Fortunately I have this small rectangular plastic thing that gets me out of trouble overseas but into trouble at home.
The interesting thing is that our currency has the Queen's head on it as well. Must check out the sizes for my next visit to the Island.
18-11-2003, 12:25 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have this same coin here and I raised this point once before, the other rider is Phil McCallen.

As far as money is concerned I work for a Bank so understand a bit. All British Isles notes and coins(apart from Eire euros) is legal tender anywhere in the UK. If you look at your Bank paying in book you will see a section S & I Notes, (ie Scotch and Irish......plus Manx, Channel Islands) People wont accept this currency nationwide mainly because they are not familiar with it, and are concerned they're not real. I brought home the other day a 10p from Gibraltar, looks identical from the queens head side
18-11-2003, 12:55 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

The British Public ignorant? NEVER!!
18-11-2003, 08:25 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yes, I had some trouble with some Ulster 50 Pound notes. I rushed to buy some currency as I was leaving a Saudi airport, (better rates than in the UK) and received 240 pounds.
A couple of days later I used a 50 note to buy some shoes (better quality). The assistant was gone a long time the said that she had to get pemission to accept the note. I looked at the others and only then realised that they were all from NI.

I had to rush to Gatwick to meet an incoming flight and changed the remaining notes back to "Bank of England" at one of the banks there.
18-11-2003, 08:26 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Stella,back to your original question.The Joey Dunlop ones are few and far between now,probably snapped up by all his fans---I have one,but the one with a bike bearing #9 is,I believe Phil McCallen.Not sure who the other rider is on the same coin though.
18-11-2003, 08:36 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

From memory, rider nuumber 9 is Phillip McCallen, not the greatest of likeness though!! My parents bought me and my sister the ones that were produced in 1981 and 1982 depicting Joey Dunlop and Mick Grant. They were a lot clearer images and you could pretty much tell straight away who the rider was. They might be over 20 years old but all four of them are still at our house and prized possesions - mind you I did have to talk my sister out of spending hers once down at the sweet shop!
18-11-2003, 10:43 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Isle of Man 50p ?Note?
I still have an Isle of Man 50p Note? are those still in use over there? so brings me to wonder where the saying "Bent as a ten bob note" comes from! Cheers John
18-11-2003, 11:56 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Isle of Man 50p ?Note?
Nine bob note, John...
18-11-2003, 12:42 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

As far as I'm aware.... the Manx 50p coin was (and is) supposed to be Joey Dunlop...... but some numpty (who obviously knows SFA about bike racing) told the IOM Treasury he was No9..... which doesn't surprise me.... Therefore it could be interpritated that it was McCallen....

It must be true, because my mates Dad's friend told him.......... in a pub.

Cheers
Spook
18-11-2003, 02:50 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Isle of Man 50p ? Thankyou everyone.
Thanks everyone certainly caused a bit of conversation there. Will be hanging on to my IOM 50p.
cheers,
Stella
18-11-2003, 03:22 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Isle of Man 50p ? Thankyou everyone.
Don't hang on to it too long...spend it there soon.
Thanks for your company on Sunday, what a great day out, and I have thawed now!
18-11-2003, 04:22 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I remember a few years ago on the way back home I paied for a cup of coffee with little coins. They gave a 5p coin from the IoM back and said "THAT'S NO BRITISCH"
18-11-2003, 05:09 PM