5-cylinder HONDA
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: 5-cylinder HONDA
If anyone wants to hear the RC149 then click on the website below.
This machine would not idle and had to rev at 13000 if you went below that it stopped. This was apparently due to the lack of counter weights on the crank and the very low crank mass. The torque was 1.22kgm at 19300 and it weighed approx 85kg.
The maximum speed was 210kph.
As discussed previously the RC148 5 cyl did run in the Japan GP with Taveri and Bryans on board but there is a tantalising mystery as to why both bikes were not the same. The front brake torque rods were different and there is a question as to where the exhaust for the third cylinder emerged, to the right or left of the seat. Could it have been that they were already testing the RC149?
The development time for the RC148 was very short (started in Feb 65) and this could only have been achieved by the utilisation of the 50cc engine technology. I also think there were some ideas borrowed from the 6 cyl 250 in the area of valve and ignition timing (more of this later). The rush for development was of course due to the increasing performance of the Yamaha ,Suzuki and Tohatsu 2 strokes at the time.
It is probably due to the rush that these machines had a lot of trouble with overheating. It is amazing that Mike Hailwood brought one home in 6th place in the 1966TT after a 3 hour delay in the start the settings on the 5 tiny carburettors were not correctly tuned.
Can anyone tell me did Mike practice on this bike in 66 or was he riding Kaminaka's bike?
That is what is so good about motorcycle sport - there are so many conspiracy theories.

<A HREF="http://www.honda.co.jp/SoundofHonda/sort/rc149.html">http://www.honda.co.jp/SoundofHonda/sort/rc149.html</A>

29-11-2003, 04:05 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thank you all for this most interesting thread.
After being a TT fan for 55 years, some memories are LESS crisp, so this feedback has made it all clear again....

You've all done very well !!!!!!

I have actually contacted Mr Taveri as well, thank you..
29-11-2003, 04:28 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

What a fantastic machine & noise & Taveri is a real gentelman.He still has an original 5 cylinder Honda which he demonstrates from time to time although less frequent these days due to it being quite fragile. Have you a copy of his autobiography Ian?
29-11-2003, 05:27 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

No, I have not a copy got--- Must get one now !!

Great sound of the "5" on that website, innit !
29-11-2003, 06:18 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

If my memory serves me well,the first hondas in europe were ridden by BILL SMITH and IAN DOUGDALE at oulton park.ridden not raced.CHEERS BARNESIE.
29-11-2003, 07:29 PM