Provisional Licences....
Stroller Offline

Threads: 14
Provisional Licences....
Some information from the IoM Police:

I have had a number of people contact me this week about UK riders coming to the Isle of Man riding motorbikes on L plates using their UK provisional licence.

A provisional licence can only be used in its country of origin therefore coming to the Isle of Man from a different country and riding such a machine under a provisional licence is against the law.

I understand this message might not please everyone however at least you now have clarity.

Sergeant Steven LAPSLEY
18-05-2016, 01:51 PM
Find Reply
DBD 34 Offline

Threads: 20
RE: Provisional Licences....
Surely the country of origin would be classed as British would it not? Otherwise if you rode from say your home in Liverpool to North Wales on their terms you would be un-licensed. Doesn't sound right to me.
Probably some civil servant has come up with yet another way to screw some more money out of the general public.
19-05-2016, 08:53 AM
Find Reply
captainsparkledotcom Offline

Threads: 392
(18-05-2016, 01:51 PM)Stroller Wrote: Some information from the IoM Police:

I have had a number of people contact me this week about UK riders coming to the Isle of Man riding motorbikes on L plates using their UK provisional licence.

A provisional licence can only be used in its country of origin therefore coming to the Isle of Man from a different country and riding such a machine under a provisional licence is against the law.

I understand this message might not please everyone however at least you now have clarity.

Sergeant Steven LAPSLEY

Has it not always been thus?, Stroller.
I always see a couple of British 'L' plates while on the Island, then have the quandary of whether to tell them,
spoiling their holiday,
or don't,
leaving them open to prosecution.
19-05-2016, 12:45 PM
Website Find Reply
Stroller Offline

Threads: 14
(19-05-2016, 08:53 AM)DBD 34 Wrote: Surely the country of origin would be classed as British would it not? Otherwise if you rode from say your home in Liverpool to North Wales on their terms you would be un-licensed. Doesn't sound right to me.
Probably some civil servant has come up with yet another way to screw some more money out of the general public.
The licence is a UK one and Liverpool and North Wales are both in the UK.... but as the IoM isn't part of the UK, a provisional UK licence is invalid.
19-05-2016, 01:17 PM
Find Reply