spectating
dudley472 Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 1
spectating
Hi folks, I normally go to the manx on a motorcycle, this year i'm flying to the island for a couple of days for the TT and hiring a car, can I have some ideas of the best places to watch and park a car, cheers
18-05-2016, 03:20 PM
Find Reply
Carlos 500 Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 2
RE: spectating
Cronk & Voddy is a favorite for many, sit on the grass verge before the right hander. Car parking is possible on the small lanes nearby.

Hillberry, if you sit on the grass bank before the small grandstand on the left which is just before the right hander then you will be within two feet of the riders, one foot if its Michael Dunlop. There is parking at the back.
Check this part of one of my videos, go to 11:35 for MD bit. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7dEMLvyLUc

Rhencullen 10:09 in video is another spot I like, after the jump there is a wall on the left where theres plenty of space and room for some nice photos etc, just dont fall onto the track :l. Tricky to park but there are some very small single track lanes near there.

I really like some of the lesser known areas where I am sometimes completely alone, BallaCobb is one 10:49 on video above. Parking on the Ballacobb lane is possible if I remember correctly.

Crosby Jump is good too, easy parking in a nearby field, many people sit on top of their vans to watch the action, and a very friendly elderly lady even let me use her loo in her home while she was in the field serving tea, great lady.
18-05-2016, 04:42 PM
Find Reply
dudley472 Offline
Just Getting Started

brilliant thanks for that, what is the k tree like for car parking ? I've never been there before,
18-05-2016, 06:57 PM
Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Offline
Administrator

Threads: 13
Think you park in the field at K-Tree where they do the food, Brandywell, top of Barregarrow(and bottom if you walk down field), Douglas Corner Kirk Michael, Gorse Lea - little lane that leads to the parking field from Foxdale Road on closed roads, Crosby church hall - little path behind the houses then through the field to hall on the right or walk up on open roads - good food facilties etc here, Ginger Hall, May Hill .. can't wait
18-05-2016, 08:52 PM
Find Reply
Smokin Haddock Racing Offline

Threads: 8
Lots of parking at the K tree. A small charge but worth it. Viewing is brilliant. A good food stand and loos.
19-05-2016, 07:09 AM
Find Reply
maybolezx12r Offline

Threads: 28
Good parking available at the Gooseneck which can be accessed from the Laxey road.

Mountain Marshal from 2013 Icon_biggrin
19-05-2016, 12:32 PM
Find Reply
HammerHead Offline

Threads: 23
(19-05-2016, 07:09 AM)Smokin Haddock Racing Wrote: Lots of parking at the K tree.  A small charge but worth it.  Viewing is brilliant.  A good food stand and loos.

In practice week 2014 parking was free but food and loos were not operational. Charges applied for race week when the food was provided too.

"There is nothing so momentary as a sporting achievement, and nothing so lasting as the memory of it."
19-05-2016, 04:10 PM
Find Reply
HammerHead Offline

Plenty of parking at Whitehouse Park in Kirk Michael. Charges apply in race week. Chairs can be hired for a couple of quid and refreshments are on tap with portaloos provided.

"There is nothing so momentary as a sporting achievement, and nothing so lasting as the memory of it."
19-05-2016, 04:12 PM
Find Reply
maybolezx12r Offline

Threads: 28
is that the place in Kirkmichael where you right next to the track Hammerhead? If so I have always fancied watching from there looks like it would be amazing.

Mountain Marshal from 2013 Icon_biggrin
20-05-2016, 08:59 AM
Find Reply
HammerHead Offline

That's the place. At the far end of the village on the right (in course direction). Great view back through the village. I think it was £10 in race week.

22-05-2016, 08:49 AM
Find Reply
meridian Offline

As above, Kirkmichael is one of our favourites. You hear them coming from so far way and get a proper long view of them approaching, all the way through the village and all but kissing the houses with their shoulders on the way out. As also said, Hillberry gives a long view of them all the way down the hill and a real impression of speed through the right hander as they disappear
23-05-2016, 08:32 AM
Find Reply
King Orry Offline

Threads: 2
In the past I've headed out early to Ramsey, watched for a bit there, then on to the Gooseneck, Creg or Hiilberry. Or on the other side. Back to Milntown, even Union Mills or Bradden etc. Traffic is easier on a bike I'd guess but if you're on a short trip or have itchy feet it allows you to view from lotsa places. Obviously you'll not get pole position view wise but there's usually a good spec to be found somewhere.
Hillberry behind the wall is always my fave.
28-05-2016, 11:26 AM
Find Reply