Will these two new exotic bikes have an impact?
KypDurron Offline

Threads: 23
Will these two new exotic bikes have an impact?
I'm curious what people think about Bruce's RC213 and the Suter bike.  I'm certain they will be faster than the Norton projet was, but will they be the fastest bikes out there, and if so, is that a problem for the TT?
(This post was last modified: 29-05-2016, 09:20 AM by KypDurron.)
29-05-2016, 09:19 AM
Find Reply
NSR500 Offline

Threads: 2
RE: Will these two new exotic bikes have an impact?
The RCV will be quicker than the Norton, or should be! But no matter how well they do it will be a spectacle to see and hear them on the roads and see how well they go in their maiden year. No doubt with Bruce and Lougher they will be ridden hard anyway. The next few days will tell just how well they will go around the Island.
A proud member of the Orange Army
                 Party2
29-05-2016, 09:47 AM
Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Offline
Administrator

Threads: 13
The Suter will have both a visual and very welcome audio impact being a crisp 2-stroke, realistically I can't see it winning but having a trick 500 2 poke on the grid with an experienced pilot can only add to the atmosphere, a properly set up 2-stroke will be reliable as Bruce proved with YZR so hopefully the Suter can be as competitive. The RCV213 is a brave move but that's what TT Course racing is all about, the bike is new to the course, there will be defo be a few things crop up in practice that haven't happened in testing but again if you don't try these things you're never going to find out - the man that's never made a mistake will have never made anything :0), the RCV should have enough poke and if they can get the bike to steer and drive well it has a chance with Bruce onboard, I doubt very much Clive has invested that much money/time just to womble around making up the numbers and having a loud big cc V4 back out there should be another good thing to hear. What I'd be interested in finding out is what parts are added or specially made for the Honda and if they are HRC or custom designed / manufactured, going back to RC30 days there were some unbelievably expensive HRC RC30 parts that could be bought with mortgage money and after spending that much money the factory RVF750 was still streets better.
29-05-2016, 10:21 AM
Find Reply
L1v32R1d3 Offline

Threads: 4
I am pretty sure that if Bruce is happy with the setup, he'll be putting the bike to the test. I guess we'll have to compare his times from last year to get a feel how the bike is performing compared to last year's ride. Let's face it, last year he was really on pace!
29-05-2016, 11:00 AM
Find Reply
scaramanga Offline

Threads: 25
for me bruce is the most naturally talanted rider out there
lot of respect for bruce always have had
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

proud to own and ride a british motorcycle  triumph daytona 675 Hehe
(This post was last modified: 29-05-2016, 05:29 PM by scaramanga.)
29-05-2016, 05:29 PM
Find Reply
Superbike Offline

Threads: 4
Bruce is a superb racer as scaramanga said naturally talented and always competitive in every race he rides in,any track any place and he's pretty much on it.
30-05-2016, 01:25 AM
Find Reply
DBD 34 Offline

Threads: 20
First impressions, one will one won't.
30-05-2016, 09:03 PM
Find Reply
roger9650 Offline

Threads: 0
Can't see why it should be a problem for the TT, not so long ago most of the top runners were on prototypes.
31-05-2016, 12:09 PM
Find Reply
Revvin rich Offline

Threads: 70
i would have thought the rcv honda would be a better bet than the suter don,t get me wrong im a big supporter of twostrokes but they have had there day in modern racing as good a rider Ian Lougher is he might put it in the top 20 if it keeps going ,I see Bruce as got round at 127 plus on the rcv so its definatley in the ball park.
31-05-2016, 01:06 PM
Find Reply
KypDurron Offline

Threads: 23
It sounds like the Suter had trouble on its first day.
31-05-2016, 01:51 PM
Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

Threads: 16
They will have a big impact on my enjoyment of listening to the noise they make. I just hope the Sutter is still running when I get there on Friday.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse
31-05-2016, 02:05 PM
Find Reply
mazza Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 1
I am a big fan of Bruce , is one of my favourite racers but I don't think it would be good if they win or win by a big margin then will the big teams be moving towards competing on these really expensive prototype machines ?
as it is now everyone is competing on equal or equivalent machinery
01-06-2016, 12:19 AM
Find Reply
scaramanga Offline

You really think there all on equivalent machinery?

Try telling that to privateers running stock bikes in superbike class never mind stock bikes against the top reams superstock bikes
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

01-06-2016, 11:24 AM
Find Reply
badlyoverdrawnboy Offline

I think the 'exotics' are welcome, I'm a bit bored watching production bikes in almost every race, i don't see the point of having superstocks and superbikes when the gap between them is so small but the cost of the latter are so high. I think there should just be stockers and let them run race tyres in the senior alongside the exotics.

As to the current crop - I noticed last night that on Bruce's last lap he was 8 or so seconds quicker to Glen Helen than anyone else then backed off, wouldn't surprise me if he kept sticking random sector best times in all week then strung them together in the race (obviously no-one will notice him doing this!) I wouldn't be surprised if, barring tech issues, the Honda wasn't 20 - 30 seconds quicker than anything else and I fear that others might push too hard trying to catch him, the only other issue could be fuel - its got a 24lt tank but I wonder how far it can go with the wick turned up.

The Suter is unlikely to last the distance and if it does I doubt it will threaten the top 30 such is the strength in depth of the field but it adds some colour to the event and I like many others would love to see a 2 stroke race back again

The Norton is just an embarrasment, Cameron clearly made the right decision and Davo would be better popping into a dealer and buying a standar Apprillia rsvrrrr (or whatever). Any clown can get a bike to make loads of noise and all the public go oo-er when it crawls past but its nothing more than another in a long line of publicity stunts - definitely shouldn't have been seeded  in the top 20 expect Davo to do a couple of laps and have a technical issue at the Sulby or the Ginger, he'll need a drink to calm his nerves.
(This post was last modified: 01-06-2016, 06:19 PM by Malcolm.)
01-06-2016, 03:19 PM
Find Reply
warrior Offline

(01-06-2016, 03:19 PM)badlyoverdrawnboy Wrote: the only other issue could be fuel - its got a 24lt tank but I wonder how far it can go with the wick turned up.

I wonder if it employs the same 'get you home' technology as the motogp bikes where the electronics measure fuel consumption and then begin to progressively cut the power if required, to ensure it makes the finish line?
01-06-2016, 04:35 PM
Find Reply
scaramanga Offline

its also not too much different from back in the day when the rc45's rc30's and owo1's were new on the scene yes its expensive but thats the only real difference for me
its out there on general sale so not as "exotic" as some of the tt bikes that were around years ago

01-06-2016, 05:09 PM
Find Reply
badlyoverdrawnboy Offline

(01-06-2016, 04:35 PM)warrior Wrote: I wonder if it employs the same 'get you home' technology as the motogp bikes where the electronics measure fuel consumption and then begin to progressively cut the power if required, to ensure it makes the finish line?

I wondered about that but, given the topography of the course, I expect it would have to 'learn' the fuel consumption of different sections and do some clever calculations - just cutting back the fuel near the end of the second lap each time would penalise it on the fast bits over the mountain for instance, whereas, ideally, you might want it to run a bit lean from Ginger Hall to ramsey and save enough for a proper blast over the mountain. dunno if the system is that sophisticated - if it was really clever it would save enough to give half second bursts to run/coast from governors to the pitlane and save Bruce having to push in - not fun with that beard!
In an idle lotto dream moment last year i worked out that a Ducati MotoGP bike could do 2 laps but my lucky numbers weren't so Clive has beaten me to it - fair play to him
01-06-2016, 05:46 PM
Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Offline
Administrator

Threads: 13
(01-06-2016, 05:09 PM)scaramanga Wrote: its also not too much different from back in the day when the rc45's rc30's and owo1's were new on the scene yes its expensive but thats the only real difference for me
its out there on general sale so not as "exotic" as some of the tt bikes that were around years ago

True Mr Manga, The money required to get an RC30 going properly was ever so expensive and a stock over the counter RC30 was 100bhp if you were lucky and was complete with a useless 18 inch back wheel, I think the HRC carbs were £20k+ and it would still be down on pace compared to the factory RVF750 which was quite possibly the purest specially built for purpose bike i've seen close up, with reference to the fuel - does anybody know if The Senior regs still allow you to run a bigger tank ?
01-06-2016, 09:14 PM
Find Reply
DBD 34 Offline

Threads: 20
Just looking at this, if the tank holds 24ltrs, or 5 gallons, two laps would equate to 16 miles per gallon, surely it's not that thirsty.

Thinking about it, I am sure Bruce has done a couple of laps at a time this week.
(This post was last modified: 01-06-2016, 09:35 PM by DBD 34.)
01-06-2016, 09:34 PM
Find Reply
scaramanga Offline

a superstock bike for a priveteer i know struggles to do 2 laps on pump fuel at race speed

01-06-2016, 10:22 PM
Find Reply