John McGuinness: To match Joey’s record would be icing on the cake
captainsparkledotcom Offline

Threads: 364
John McGuinness: To match Joey’s record would be icing on the cake
John gives his thoughts on matching Joeys record number of wins.

Read our local paper interview here -

http://www.thevisitor.co.uk/sport/john-m...-1-7933378
30-05-2016, 06:34 AM
Website Find Reply
DBD 34 Offline

Threads: 20
RE: John McGuinness: To match Joey’s record would be icing on the cake
I like JM but wouldn't want to see Joey's record equaled or beat.

Plus JM should really only be on 21 wins due to two placcy bike wins.
30-05-2016, 08:17 AM
Find Reply
Andy from Kazakhstan Offline

Threads: 4
Personal opinion or TT rules?
(This post was last modified: 30-05-2016, 11:27 AM by Malcolm.)
30-05-2016, 08:28 AM
Find Reply
DBD 34 Offline

Bit of both really, like I say I like JM.
30-05-2016, 08:45 AM
Find Reply
Superbike Offline

I really like JM he's one of are own but that leccy bike thing I don't think that is a TT win only one Lap and a handful of bikes, I went for a jimmy last year missed the whole lot, no hardship, and even if you finish last place you finish in the top ten.
30-05-2016, 11:36 AM
Find Reply
bsa499 Offline

Threads: 48
All race wins on the TT course are legitimate wins be they on 50 cc or 125 machines (if they still raced them) a battery powered machine or a superbike. I admired Joe Dunlop and I admire John McGuinness too and if McGuinness is fortunate to equal or even surpass Dunlop's record then good luck to him it would take nothing away from Dunlop's incredible achievements.
30-05-2016, 12:28 PM
Find Reply
Andy from Kazakhstan Offline

(30-05-2016, 08:45 AM)DBD 34 Wrote: Bit of both really, like I say I like JM.

Seriously, which TT rules? just asking like.

(30-05-2016, 11:36 AM)Superbike Wrote: I really like JM he's one of are own but that leccy bike thing I don't think that is a TT win only one Lap and a handful of bikes.

Any more than one machine taking part makes it a race, doesn't it?
(This post was last modified: 30-05-2016, 12:37 PM by Andy from Kazakhstan.)
30-05-2016, 12:34 PM
Find Reply
tigerted Offline

Threads: 6
When and if John beats Joeys record it wont make a happorth of difference to John I am sure as like all of us he will still have the upmost respect for Joey and what he achieved.
30-05-2016, 02:19 PM
Find Reply
Superbike Offline

I think JM has stated that he wouldn't want to beat Joey's record maybe equal it.
Yes very true it's not the size top speed or anything that doesn't do it for me it's the lack of grid and only one lap I know it's still a race but the 125cc and 50cc were of a full race distance with full grids it's just my opinion I admire JM and even have a personally signed piece of memorabilia of Johns in my front room.
30-05-2016, 07:36 PM
Find Reply
Woffy Offline

Threads: 0
I like JM, but Joey is my all time favorite, so naturally I would want my hero to be the #1 around here.

If JM would get 26+ wins on a real bike with a proper engine in a race with more than 1 other serious competitor then fair enough, hats off to him.

However those leccy bikes shouldn't count in my opinion. Hardly a race on a plastic bike with a handful of other riders, and even then Bruce Anstey is the only other one with half a chance.

Might as well award him a TT win for finishing a parade lap...
30-05-2016, 09:03 PM
Find Reply
Timmy594 Offline

A few years ago (on iomtt.com) wasn't it Paul Philips that said it wasn't a valid TT if less than 50 competitors finished (not started) a race. That was one of the reasons for the lower classes being dropped? It was something like that anyway. I used to have a link to the post but can't log in any more to search.

Although no-one was more impressed than me with JM's performance in last years senior I have to agree with Woffy. All the leccy race is is a parade lap. Only 2 bikes have any chance of winning it with half of the others being quite literally miles behind.
01-06-2016, 04:25 PM
Find Reply
JAT Offline

Threads: 5
Although I am not a fan of the electric bikes JM has won 7 Seniors plus a fair few Superstock/Superbike TT's which are probably the hardest to win. Nothing can be taken away from his achievements nor JD's for that matter.
02-06-2016, 09:31 AM
Find Reply

Race = contest of speed. that's it.
I was a little sceptical of the electrics at first, but now the speeds have increased tremendously, it has become much more interesting!
I would think within the next couple of years they will run more than 1 lap, with more entries too.
One point for your consideration, if a 'traditional' TT race was red flagged & shortened, for whatever reason, down to one lap, would that count?
02-06-2016, 10:07 AM
Website Find Reply
KypDurron Offline

Threads: 23
At the risk of blasphemy, if we are qualifying what counts as a TT win, a lot of Joey's wins came on smaller machinery. If we are going to start qualifying wins, we will need to discuss things like danger level and bike performance.

I would agree the TT Zero is on the edge of counting, but those laps are getting fast and there's becoming some legitimate competition.
02-06-2016, 12:07 PM
Find Reply
Nev14 Offline

Threads: 1
Congratulations Captainsparkle on your win this morning. A signed 2015 DVD by JM. You Morecombe folk stick together. Not bothered about most wins just hope JM wins
02-06-2016, 01:16 PM
Find Reply

ha ha! yes, of alll the things I've tried to win this week!
02-06-2016, 06:25 PM
Website Find Reply
Woffy Offline

Threads: 0
(02-06-2016, 12:07 PM)KypDurron Wrote: At the risk of blasphemy, if we are qualifying what counts as a TT win, a lot of Joey's wins came on smaller machinery.  If we are going to start qualifying wins, we will need to discuss things like danger level and bike performance.  

I would agree the TT Zero is on the edge of counting, but those laps are getting fast and there's becoming some legitimate competition.

I don't see how size of the bikes is relevant. Whether it is a 1000cc or a 125cc, they both take extreme talent to win. All McGuinness has to do in the leccy race is turn up.

Joey's wins on the small bikes were in competitive fields with plenty of other starters on good bikes too.

Oh, and they were more than 1 lap.
02-06-2016, 09:24 PM
Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Offline
Administrator

Threads: 13
I didn't see anybody apart from Joey doing the 11th Milestone totally chinners on the pin on his 125cc, was that dangerous enough ?, is the corner speed enough for you ? ..
02-06-2016, 10:10 PM
Find Reply
DBD 34 Offline

Totally agree with Woffy, I think some people just don't get the true meaning of the TT.

The Marquis de Mouzilly St Mars put up the trophy that is now awarded to the winner of the Senior back in 1907 because of his and his friends (which included Arthur Conan Doyle) fascination with the internal combustion engine, they probably would have been just as fascinated in the "new electric bikes" when they first appeared nearly a decade ago but would have become quickly bored as they can't do more than a lap. Back in them days this race would have been dropped like a stone as it has no future.

Electric TT needs to be scrapped, we were told when it started that petrol engines were a thing of the past and like it or not, we would all be riding these things in the near future, well thankfully we are not.
02-06-2016, 10:23 PM
Find Reply

(02-06-2016, 09:24 PM)Woffy Wrote: All McGuinness has to do in the leccy race is turn up.

.. and he can do a 120mph lap.
He's that good!

...And that's a standing start lap!
03-06-2016, 05:57 AM
Website Find Reply