John McGuinness: To match Joey’s record would be icing on the cake
b5070 Offline

Threads: 1
RE: John McGuinness: To match Joey’s record would be icing on the cake
I'm tired of all the old 'one lap isn't a race' rhetoric, when in actuality, one lap of the Island = several laps of most short circuits. If you watched a 14 lap 'leccy' race at Oulton Park (almost same distance as one TT lap), with 10 TT riders - would it be a race? I think the 'knockers' are peed off, because they only get to see the riders once - but are totally disregarding what it takes to put a ton plus lap in around the course - let alone be knocking on the door of a 120 average. Sad speculation - but, what if Joey (RIP) was still around - and rode the leccy race --- would you still say it wasn't really a win? I used to live on the Island, and have raced the course - giving me nothing but respect and admiration for anyone doing laps there - whether on a Superbike, or a technologically cutting edge leccy bike. Please, just leave JM be with his wont to race the TT - whatever he's riding, and if he breaks records - then, just be pleased for him. After all - aren't records made to be broken -- no matter how sacred some folks consider them?
03-06-2016, 07:32 AM
Find Reply
scaramanga Offline

Threads: 25
100m in running is only part of a lap but still a a race
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

proud to own and ride a british motorcycle  triumph daytona 675 Hehe
03-06-2016, 08:07 AM
Find Reply
Rednine Offline

Threads: 5
Woffy, just stick to mainland races in future rather than inane rhetoric.

Smoke me a kipper...........................I'll be back for breakfast Icon_wink
03-06-2016, 10:29 AM
Find Reply
Woffy Offline

Threads: 0
(02-06-2016, 10:23 PM)DBD 34 Wrote: Totally agree with Woffy, I think some people just don't get the true meaning of the TT.

The Marquis de Mouzilly St Mars put up the trophy that is now awarded to the winner of the Senior back in 1907 because of his and his friends (which included Arthur Conan Doyle) fascination with the internal combustion engine, they probably would have been just as fascinated in the "new electric bikes" when they first appeared nearly a decade ago but would have become quickly bored as they can't do more than a lap. Back in them days this race would have been dropped like a stone as it has no future.

Electric TT needs to be scrapped, we were told when it started that petrol engines were a thing of the past and like it or not, we would all be riding these things in the near future, well thankfully we are not.

Well said..

Most people these days don't have a clue about that though.

The nerds have taken over....
03-06-2016, 03:45 PM
Find Reply
KypDurron Offline

Threads: 23
McPint himself said when interviewed about it the other day that Joey had won a lot of his races on 125s and other bikes and no one had naught to say about it.
03-06-2016, 04:07 PM
Find Reply
cregnybaa Offline

Threads: 9
Do you not think its possible to engineer the winner of this race. well the mugen is by far the better machine in this class nothing comes close, then there are two riders on the mugens so if they keep going it  really is a two horse race, you have john on the one and bruce on the other. now lets wind the one up and knock the other down just a little and because they are electric the rider most likely would have no idea his machine was under performing or going well for that matter unlike an internal combustion engine of which they both have a feel for. so which rider would they want to win ? I think john is the obvious answer because if it should happen that he gets his 26th or 27th TT win on the mugen the publicity they would get would be outstanding. if any of this was fact then its not really a race but I believe it is possible to engineer the winner in this class more than any other.
03-06-2016, 06:25 PM
Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Offline
Administrator

Threads: 13
Just wondering when it was that getting a genuine made for purpose 2-stroke racing bike with tall TT gearing and a 1500rpm power band quickly around the 37 miles became easy ? ... One missed gear, one knocked throttle, one slightly early gear change in the wrong place on the course and your lap was toast.
(This post was last modified: 03-06-2016, 08:36 PM by Alfie Noakes.)
03-06-2016, 08:35 PM
Find Reply
civ Offline

Threads: 3
(03-06-2016, 06:25 PM)cregnybaa Wrote: Do you not think its possible to engineer the winner of this race. well the mugen is by far the better machine in this class nothing comes close, then there are two riders on the mugens so if they keep going it  really is a two horse race, you have john on the one and bruce on the other. now lets wind the one up and knock the other down just a little and because they are electric the rider most likely would have no idea his machine was under performing or going well for that matter unlike an internal combustion engine of which they both have a feel for. so which rider would they want to win ? I think john is the obvious answer because if it should happen that he gets his 26th or 27th TT win on the mugen the publicity they would get would be outstanding. if any of this was fact then its not really a race but I believe it is possible to engineer the winner in this class more than any other.

If they were able to guarantee a winner and wanted maximum publicity, they'd simply have offered a ride to Guy Martin to get his first win on.

Madness to suggest that the leading team would deliberately cripple one of their bikes to cheat the rider out of a win - it would destroy the reputation of the class if that came out!
05-06-2016, 06:27 PM
Find Reply
DBD 34 Offline

Threads: 20
The class has no reputation, it is a joke.
Made up Bruce won yesterday just so JM didn't add another cheap win to his tally.
09-06-2016, 10:33 AM
Find Reply
KypDurron Offline

Threads: 23
Good God mate, you're a bitter one.
09-06-2016, 02:58 PM
Find Reply
DBD 34 Offline

Nah not bitter, just know what I'm talking about. JM is class and I like him, just don't agree with eleccy bikes counting as a TT win.
09-06-2016, 06:02 PM
Find Reply
RedlineRick Offline
Cotton Top

(02-06-2016, 06:25 PM)captainsparkledotcom Wrote: ha ha! yes, of alll the things I've tried to win this week!

Well worth auctioning off yer pants for?   ha ha!

Really haven't heard you and your sidekick text whoring your way around the island on the radio this year...

At least the radio commentator early on at the start of practice week finally got Mr. LED's name pronounced right.
(not Mr. LEAD)
Beer2
"A few yrs ago they screwed up a perfectly good working website just because they want to be 'modern' and now we have a sluggish ugly problematic and feature lacking website. but hey, its modern..., old sites are always better".
09-06-2016, 06:13 PM
Find Reply
DBD 34 Offline

(30-05-2016, 12:34 PM)Andy from Kazakhstan Wrote: Seriously, which TT rules? just asking like.

Any more than one machine taking part makes it a race, doesn't it?

The organizers quoted the reason for scrapping the two strokes was a lack of interest and there needs to be a minimum of fifty competitors in each class to make it a race.

Just saying like....
09-06-2016, 10:24 PM
Find Reply
Roadracingfan Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 0
I'm not sure on how it could be done without lowering the profile (I'm guessing that's why it's run) of the zero race, but as the average lap times are similar and 'most' of the entrants haven't conficting rides could they manage to run in amongst the twins? I think they tried it at one of the Meetings over the water in the last year or two.
09-06-2016, 11:38 PM
Find Reply
King Orry Offline

Threads: 2
Just to throw a curve ball..
How many wins would Hutchy be on now had he been fit to race.?
I recon 18-20 minimum.
As for McPint, for me any win is a win, especially the Leccy bikes. Let's face it he's not the smallest rider but manages to maintain momentum because of his skill and knowledge.
Hats off to any who top the list, whatever the category.
09-06-2016, 11:41 PM
Find Reply
Rednine Offline

Threads: 5
It's racing with everything that comes with it - what if's are an irrelevance. What if Joey was still alive.?
What if DJ was still alive? etc etc

Smoke me a kipper...........................I'll be back for breakfast Icon_wink
10-06-2016, 11:25 AM
Find Reply
Goldfinger Offline

Thank you Rednine for this post. I couldn't have said any better. I am a reader in this forum for a long time and I now I finally signed up. It is absolutely annoying to read year after year this phrases like "What if Hutchy wasn't injured." "What if DJ hadn't died." and "Electric wins are no wins." But Hutchy was injured as many others too. And DJ has died like many others too. (Especially including Joey himself) And as long as there is an Elctric Race started, the win counts.

It is a shame that there are such less starters in the TT Zero. But I still believe that this electric stuff will be the future. Hopefully the tech will become cheaper soon so that the grids grow. And never forget, the main critic as the TT Zero started was that this bikes will never be as fast as the conventially powered bikes. So the TT Zero haters have already been proven wrong one time.
10-06-2016, 01:07 PM
Find Reply
Andy from Kazakhstan Offline

Threads: 4
(09-06-2016, 10:24 PM)DBD 34 Wrote: The organizers quoted the reason for scrapping the two strokes was a lack of interest and there needs to be a minimum of fifty competitors in each class to make it a race.

Maybe you should flag this up to the officials pointing out that they know less about their own rules than you obviously do.
11-06-2016, 11:08 AM
Find Reply
DBD 34 Offline

Not saying they know less (your words) just quoting their reasoning for scrapping the 2 strokes, that's all.

Obviously forty odd 2 stroke enthusiasts have less punch than a bunch of eleccy heads..
14-06-2016, 08:27 PM
Find Reply