TT Marshalls
TTNeb Offline

Threads: 4
TT Marshalls
My partner and I marshalled on Monday at Ballabeg for the first time. It was a rewarding experience. Given it's his first time at both TT and visiting the island, we thought we'd sign up to marshall a practise session, until tonight that is.

We watched this evening's session at Windy Corner knowing we had to be there early before the road closed and that we'd have to wait for it to reopen. The sector deputy reminded me that they go off in convoy beforehand and I explained I knew to wait for the road open car. Then one of the female marshalls said in a very loud voice that she expected us (2 cars of 3 spectators) to sneak out with them as 'they all do'. 

I felt this judgement was very harsh and reflected the marshalls in a poor light. As such, we are unlikely to sign up as neither of us want to be part of a team that includes such a narrow- minded view. 

It is a shame because we witnessed good team work by the marshalls at Hillberry on Saturday.
Everything will be alright in the end. And if it's not alright, it's not yet the end.

31-05-2016, 11:33 PM
Find Reply
L1v32R1d3 Offline

RE: TT Marshalls
That sucks that it ruined your view of the marshals as a whole. I have been in Sector 2 for the last 4 years and have been quite happy every year. Last year wasn't as great at the previous years but I will continue to return. Unfortunately, no organization as a whole can have an entire workforce of honest, hard-working individuals. Don't let a few bad apples spoil the bunch!
01-06-2016, 11:38 AM
Find Reply
Captainnemo70 Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 0
so youll let one person, change your entire opinion on marshalls as a whole ?

well i suppose some people just arent vut out for it and dont get it.
01-06-2016, 11:51 AM
Find Reply
TTNeb Offline

No but I wouldn't want to land up in a team with someone like her when I've volunteered my holiday time. It's bad enough if you get paid to work with someone like that. As I said, it's my partner's first time here too and his enjoyment comes first. Maybe we'll consider it next time.
Everything will be alright in the end. And if it's not alright, it's not yet the end.

01-06-2016, 11:05 PM
Find Reply
TTNeb Offline

When I refer to the team, it's the team at a specific marshall post rather than all marshalls.

01-06-2016, 11:10 PM
Find Reply
KypDurron Offline

Threads: 23
At the risk of arguing, you should consider her viewpoint. She's likely seen many people cut out like that, so as much as your situation was ruined by her actions, think of her experience the other way.
02-06-2016, 12:44 AM
Find Reply
L1v32R1d3 Offline

Not to start any sort of an argument, but why didn't you speak up and say something about it? Confront the person and ask them why they think it's OK to cut out early. After all, honesty is always the best policy.
If I were you, I'd still give it another shot. Pick another sector, as plenty of places have great groups of marshals.
02-06-2016, 06:23 AM
Find Reply
roger9650 Offline

Can't really see what was so offensive?
02-06-2016, 08:47 AM
Find Reply
Mountain Top Offline

Threads: 2
I don't think any harm was meant either. If you had spoken to her and mentioned that you were marshalling for the Pre TT. Where you would have been sworn in for the duration of the races, where's the problem? She obviously thought she was doing you a favour and included you in 'the team' Marshalling is about helping riders and each other to keep things running smoothly,is it not?
02-06-2016, 09:03 AM
Find Reply
TTNeb Offline

I was one of the spectators she assumed would leave early by following the marshals down to The Creg even though I was sitting in my car reading the TT magazine because I had prepared for the wait and my partner was checking out his photos. We're going to leave it for this year and look to get the proper training first.

To assume means making a judgement, often unwarranted. 

02-06-2016, 11:14 PM
Find Reply
roger9650 Offline

There again sometimes the facts can speak for themselves, but I hope the proper training will be satisfactory.
(This post was last modified: 03-06-2016, 08:47 PM by Malcolm.)
03-06-2016, 08:46 PM
Find Reply
Smidsy Offline
Orange Army - Windy Corner

Threads: 1
(31-05-2016, 11:33 PM)TTNeb Wrote: My partner and I marshaled on Monday at Ballabeg for the first time. It was a rewarding experience. Given it's his first time at both TT and visiting the island, we thought we'd sign up to marshal a practise session, until tonight that is.

We watched this evening's session at Windy Corner knowing we had to be there early before the road closed and that we'd have to wait for it to reopen. The sector deputy reminded me that they go off in convoy beforehand and I explained I knew to wait for the road open car. Then one of the female marshals said in a very loud voice that she expected us (2 cars of 3 spectators) to sneak out with them as 'they all do'. 

I felt this judgement was very harsh and reflected the marshal's in a poor light. As such, we are unlikely to sign up as neither of us want to be part of a team that includes such a narrow- minded view. 

It is a shame because we witnessed good team work by the marshals at Hillberry on Saturday.

I marshal at Windy corner and although I wasn't marshaling on Tuesday (only arrived on Weds morn of practice), let me elaborate over recent years we have usually left a marshal to guard the roads closed barrier after we head down with the convoy, thus one person giving even more of their own time to make sure others are safe.
Also I'd like to add there were no regular lady Windy Corner marshals covering Monday night so while this person may have uttered she expected the spectator cars to follow the convoy down, she was more than likely speaking from experience elsewhere on the mountain. As you note, we at Windy always make sure any visitors are aware of the convoy and then the additional wait for the roads open car, so they have the choice straight away to move on before the mountain closes. 

Anyway thanks for jumping to conclusions, about all of us marshals at Windy corner.
Maybe you could try volunteering for more than two sessions and find out what its really like, but then again on second thoughts....
"I stole these views from the cools kids, so I could fit in."
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, you get old because you stop riding
(This post was last modified: 09-06-2016, 05:08 PM by Smidsy.)
09-06-2016, 05:06 PM
Find Reply
bsa499 Offline

Threads: 48
I'm very surprised by this. My friend and I marshalled full time at Windy Corner for the first time at the 2015 Classic TT/MGP races. Everything was done correctly and 'by the book'. It was an experience we also found both rewarding and enjoyable and one we'll undoubtedly repeat.
12-06-2016, 12:37 PM
Find Reply