Two things I miss , a few years back .
helitech Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 1
Two things I miss , a few years back .
Displaying the on bike speed and RPM on the TV  .  Guy Martin's hijinks and rambling speech .  
Jiggle pin  !!!!!
12-06-2016, 08:39 PM
Find Reply
King Orry Offline

Threads: 2
RE: Two things I miss , a few years back .
Wheelies on the prom.. Didn't see one all week.
Bikes parked side by side for the full length of the prom.
13-06-2016, 10:30 AM
Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Offline
Administrator

Threads: 13
There isn't much I wouldn't do or sell for just ONE more early morning practice session with the sun rising out of the sea to greet us.
13-06-2016, 11:41 AM
Find Reply
roger9650 Offline

Threads: 0
Couldn't agree more.  There was nothing quite like riding around a deserted Douglas, well except for other bikers, and the atmosphere up on the mountain on a clear sunny morning was magical.
The bikes could be heard miles away, especially the multis, wonderful.
Also loved the way everyone tried to get behind the roads open car.  Was at Keppel Gate one time and the 50s were the last out.  A lone rider appeared around the 32nd with the car just behind and hundreds of bikes following on.  
(This post was last modified: 13-06-2016, 04:22 PM by Malcolm.)
13-06-2016, 02:38 PM
Find Reply
Doc Offline

Threads: 1
Definitely miss morning practice. And the cafe being open at the Dub. That was a God send at times!
13-06-2016, 10:06 PM
Find Reply
Revvin rich Offline

Threads: 70
Watching in front of the bank in Kirkmichael and Geoff Cannel commentating from Ballaugh bridge .
14-06-2016, 02:50 PM
Find Reply
Ian-easy Offline
Just Getting Started

The Police officer as the warm up to the entertainment outside Bushys on Douglas prom.

He was magical!!

Ian
14-06-2016, 09:36 PM
Find Reply
Splashdown Offline

Threads: 32
You've all mentioned some magical things that I too miss. Morning practice.....really special, especially going round Kates, and seeing the sea shimmering in the sun over Douglas. Two laps before 7.00am, quick cup of cocoa in the TT Supporters tent, quick chat with the mechanics, and back to bed. Fantastic!
The hi jinks on the prom. That was pretty amazing. Doughnuts, and burn outs until the tyres blew. Do they still do that?

Anyway, the one thing I miss is the numbering of the riders. All the leading riders complained about backmarkers being lapped, so the problem the organisers tried to resolve is still there. And unless they accept 40 entries, it will ALWAYS be there! It makes the race impossible to follow, as I am not that interested in the leading riders. I want to see riders coming through the field, the potential new stars. PLUS it places a greater strain on the riders throughout practice week in trying to set a decent lap. This year was exceptional as hardly a minute was lost through delays. But in a year of mixed weather, I always fear the worst.
To have to buy a programme that you can't follow the race, and not to have a list of winners and fastest laps seems a pretty poor deal to me.
14-06-2016, 10:31 PM
Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Offline
Administrator

Threads: 13
My folks house is up by Signpost, used to fire the TZ up outside making totally sure she was warm haha then ride down to scrutineering having paid the extra insurance for doing so, the atmosphere at that time of the morning with the other lads was quietly electric with none of the other daily buzz of the paddock. two laps as described by Nick then ride her back home for a brew .. lovely.
14-06-2016, 11:43 PM
Find Reply
Rednine Offline

Threads: 5
Tommy Robb commentating at Ballacraine, also the voice of Geoff Cannell.

Smoke me a kipper...........................I'll be back for breakfast Icon_wink
15-06-2016, 10:25 AM
Find Reply
theton58 Offline

Just to echo Splashdown's comments re. numbering. Impossible now to follow who's who and their progress. And all for no safety benefit as far as I can see. It would be interesting to see how riders have finished compared to their reallocated starting positions. I suspect it would show the old system was more realistic.
I also miss morning practice - it was an almost surreal experience - waiting in absolute quiet then hearing the first bike from a long long way off.
15-06-2016, 04:40 PM
Find Reply
eman1948 Offline

Threads: 6
Probably the majority agree how the hell do you know who`s where after the top 20 the way it`s done now but the powers that be have decide that this is the way it is lump it or like. Power goes to peoples heads. Also why don`t they start in 2`s anymore I assume it`s something to do with safety but now you have the fast riders catching the slower riders far sooner because they are more spread out , so does that make it safer. I sooner listen to Splashdown who knows what he is talking about and people like him should be more involved.
15-06-2016, 06:30 PM
Find Reply