2016 TV Coverage
DBD 34 Offline

Threads: 20
2016 TV Coverage
Just catching up on the tv coverage and watched Sidecar B, couldn't believe how little coverage local boys Karl Bennett and Lee Cain received despite finishing fourth, absolutely shameful. Parrish was much more interested in another pairing just because they had a hot tub outside their awning.....
Sponsors pay a lot of money to have their name on outfits and bikes and should get a wee bit of publicity for their input.

Like to pass on condolences to all who have lost loved ones this TT.
17-06-2016, 09:52 PM
Find Reply
Paroni09 Offline

Threads: 0
RE: 2016 TV Coverage
(18-06-2016, 08:33 AM)Paroni09 Wrote: Not onley the sidecars, but all classes, only the "big five " where mostly in the "picture".

What with the newcomers? Nothing to see of them.

Like to pass on condolences to all who have lost loved ones this TT.
========================================================

Sorry for my bad english, i'm an old Dutchman.
18-06-2016, 08:35 AM
Find Reply
sticky Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 39
I'm with DBD34 on this.  The coverage has become very limited and because of the way the races are now structured (riders having the same number every race) you tend to only see the same 3-4 competitors.  I lost count of the number of times I saw Dean Harrison going through the end of Cronk-y-Voddy.

I sincerely hope this is not the case with the TT but some years ago when I was reporting on cars I believe one of the major championships (I think it was the British Rally Championship) only featured competitors who had PAID to be in the coverage!

I've never bought into the mantra that North One were better than Greenlight.  The only difference seemed to be that they had a high speed slo-mo camera.  These days North One go to the same spots most every race and frankly the coverage is becoming dull and repetitive.  It really needs a refresh and it definitley needs to feature competitors from further down the grid who are having good races.
18-06-2016, 12:10 PM
Website Find Reply
veefour Offline

Threads: 16
Personally I think the TV coverage is never going to please everyone to be honest, & sure the commentators are getting a bit shall we say old hat. But, at the moment who else is there that are as knowledgeable & enthusiastic etc. Also lets face it we are never going to get the same amount of coverage as football !!!!!!!!! etc. So for those of us that are not able to actually go anymore, apart from a few things, ( the same old Monster Energy music blaring out at every advert break gets on my nerves ) I really think it could be a lot worse.
Grey-haired riders don't get that way from pure luck.
18-06-2016, 12:22 PM
Find Reply
warrior Offline

Threads: 2
I think they are making a reasonable job.of things overall, they could certainly think about some new camera locations, and a better spread amongst the privateers.

One thing I do like is the way they put things over to the un-initiated, this helps to attract new viewers who don't have an existing interest, for example my mates missus told me how she had started watching the coverage despite not really being interested before, and was fascinated when they had explained things like 'that liquid you can see jumping around in the container behind the screen is brake fluid in the reservoir' she said it helped her to understand what we would think of as just simple things that we take for granted, and this will foster new followers.

And finally Steve Parrish has stopped saying "and the helicopter can't keep up" every few minutes, which is a bonus.
18-06-2016, 02:59 PM
Find Reply
Azman Offline

Threads: 5
Should be delayed "live" coverage on some large screens in some of the main Fanzone areas in this day and age.......I am sure the costs could be covered in some way?

"Its turned out quite nice ....." Beer2
Riggsy
18-06-2016, 05:16 PM
Find Reply
DBD 34 Offline

Nah, don't think it needs live big screen coverage as that would result in a lot of people watching the top six go past and then turning a blind eye to the lower numbers while you watch the top six on screen, not what the TT is about.
19-06-2016, 07:53 PM
Find Reply
DBD 34 Offline

Just watched the Lightweight (Supertwins) coverage, both Parrish and Whithams comments were laughable, Whitham saying "these bikes only put out about 60bhp from standard" think he needs to do some homework on this class, then Parrish saying "these bikes aren't physically little we call them little because they are slower than the bigger bikes" absolutely comical, these so called "little bikes" are only 12mph down on the absolute outright lap record, hardly what I would call slow.

It is like when Chris Kinley says about such and such going out on the little 600.......like to stick him on one and see if he still thinks they're small or slow.
19-06-2016, 09:35 PM
Find Reply
scaramanga Offline

Threads: 25
not far off the offical figure listed in this spec list
and there always over estimated in offical figures
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&...Tub5ruxDIw

also no point at all on live big screen as you wouldnt be watching it live infront your eyes if watching the screen
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

proud to own and ride a british motorcycle  triumph daytona 675 Hehe
(This post was last modified: 19-06-2016, 11:10 PM by scaramanga.)
19-06-2016, 11:09 PM
Find Reply
DBD 34 Offline

Not bothered looking at yer link as I know what a standard er6 puts out and 60bhp is about 20% short, so in my view that is miles out.
19-06-2016, 11:20 PM
Find Reply
scaramanga Offline

Threads: 25
72 hp is listed in offical figures so 60 bhp is probably about right by the time it looses some from the crank to the back wheel
i always thought they were around 80 bhp mind
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

proud to own and ride a british motorcycle  triumph daytona 675 Hehe
19-06-2016, 11:31 PM
Find Reply
warrior Offline

Threads: 2
Heard a rumour today, and it is just a rumour, that live TV is being considered, BUT would mean all racing taking place at weekends. as that is the only time live coverage would be feasible to generate adequate viewing numbers!!
19-06-2016, 11:32 PM
Find Reply
bsa499 Offline

Threads: 48
At best I'd describe the 2016 TT coverage on TV as lazy. Same people, same comments, same footage. One big plus though, at least we have TV coverage which we didn't for years. I'd suggest a new (preferably interested and knowledgeable) director, removal of the unnecessary 'anchormen' (Doyle and Jones) and the replacement of Parrish. I think Steve Plater has the ability (plus the credibility) to 'front' the coverage and a more knowledgeable (and preferably enthusiastic) presenter alongside Whitham should raise the quality of what has become a rather unimaginative, formulaic format. A new director would (hopefully) give new visual slant to this incredible event whilst a shake up of the presenters would (again hopefully) encourage both presenters to do some homework and give the viewers a well informed, descriptive slant on the event. The current tired format is in danger of presenting TT course events as 'routine'. Which we all know they aren't.
20-06-2016, 01:36 PM
Find Reply
AntG Offline

Threads: 3
Need to change camera positions definitely, personally I prefer the old camera which watched them come down Bray Hill and turned with them as they shot off up Ago's as opposed to this kerb cam, would like to see a camera at Hillberry too.

One thing that also annoys me is the superstock 'is just a road bike' spiel, yeah a road bike with a blueprinted engine, race exhaust, power commander, fork internals etc. Including the cost of the standard bike it costs about 30 grand to build a good superstock bike.

Other than that I enjoy the TV coverage.
20-06-2016, 01:42 PM
Find Reply
KypDurron Offline

Threads: 23
(20-06-2016, 01:36 PM)bsa499 Wrote: At best I'd describe the 2016 TT coverage on TV as lazy. Same people, same comments, same footage. One big plus though, at least we have TV coverage which we didn't for years. I'd suggest a new (preferably interested and knowledgeable) director, removal of the unnecessary 'anchormen' (Doyle and Jones) and the replacement of Parrish. I think Steve Plater has the ability (plus the credibility) to 'front' the coverage and a more knowledgeable (and preferably enthusiastic) presenter alongside Whitham should raise the quality of what has become a rather unimaginative, formulaic format. A new director would (hopefully) give new visual slant to this incredible event whilst a shake up of the presenters would (again hopefully) encourage both presenters to do some homework and give the viewers a well informed, descriptive slant on the event. The current tired format is in danger of presenting TT course events as 'routine'. Which we all know they aren't.

You have criticisms of the formulaic broadcasting, but I would submit to you that I don't think it's the presenters that are at fault in this. I've met Parrish personally, and he's heavily invested in the TT. He loves it. So does Craig Doyle, a guy who I always get the impression is keen for it and enthusiastic.

It's the producers that set up the broadcast formula and the cameras and the style. I'm fairly confident that if some producers brought in a more dynamic style to the show, the presenters could do the job.

I've never thought of Doyle or Parrish as particularly ill informed. What exactly makes you think these guys don't have the information to hand? I've never watched a show and thought, 'Christ, that man has no idea what he's on about...'
20-06-2016, 05:15 PM
Find Reply
HammerHead Offline

Threads: 23
They will never get it right for everyone.

Most of us would describe ourselves as (reasonably) knowledgeable, enthusiasts of the event. Other viewers will come to the broadcasts knowing nothing at all and more still will fall in between the two. They have to cater for all of these groups in 45 minutes.

There could be more camera positions used but they are also limited by the road closures for shifting cameras during a race. When the cameras are 'stuck' like the fans it's hard for them. I witnessed one of their people up at Keppel Gate after the superbike race trying to get travelling marshals and course cars to take their discs (presumably for editing and getting on TV that night). The poor bloke stood there on the verge arm out holding his stuff being totally ignored for ages. Eventually after some delay a travelling marshal with a backpack on came to collect from him. I guess this kind of difficulty dissuades them from locating themselves anywhere that can cause delays to the editing limiting them to easy locations.

I think on the whole they do a pretty good job of trying to cover the whole atmosphere, and the length of actual race coverage within the show seems to be increasing, which is a good thing. Perhaps before the event they could pick three competitors (a newcomer, a privateer and a sidecar, say) and follow them throughout the fortnight, even if it's only a minute or two here or there in each show and snippets in the race coverage it would give enthusiasts and newcomers alike a slightly different insight - which is never a bad thing.

"There is nothing so momentary as a sporting achievement, and nothing so lasting as the memory of it."
01-07-2016, 04:02 PM
Find Reply
Andy from Kazakhstan Offline

Threads: 4
(01-07-2016, 04:02 PM)HammerHead Wrote: I witnessed one of their people up at Keppel Gate after the superbike race trying to get travelling marshals and course cars to take their discs (presumably for editing and getting on TV that night). The poor bloke stood there on the verge arm out holding his stuff being totally ignored for ages. Eventually after some delay a travelling marshal with a backpack on came to collect from him.

The travelling marshal with the backpack is the only one designated to collect the discs, the camera crew would, or should, have known this.
(This post was last modified: 01-07-2016, 07:56 PM by Andy from Kazakhstan.)
01-07-2016, 07:55 PM
Find Reply
cookie77 Offline

Threads: 3
I've watched very little of the tt on itv, although still awesome to see it does seem a little stale with only the top 5 being shown and more paddock talk than actual racing shown and the same old shots.

I understand completely your average fan just wants to see mcguiness, dunlop, hutchy, same as every other motorsport, the superstars, but maybe I was just hoping that the tt was different to mainstream motorsports.

I think that most of the really interesting tales of the tt get missed, the small teams struggling to get it together are forgotten, which is a shame.

Saying all this, they do only have so much time to put a show together, so its a start.
05-07-2016, 04:31 PM
Find Reply