Stanley Woods @ Governors Bridge 1936
Paul S Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 1
Stanley Woods @ Governors Bridge 1936
I was given this Photo a number of years ago and thought it may be of interest to some here? attached is a scan of the front and back of the photo.
I'm coming over for the TT next year for the first time and was wondering if it's still possible to get a shot like this at the same spot? 

[Image: SWfront.jpg]
[Image: SWback.jpg]
27-10-2016, 05:44 AM
Find Reply
bsa499 Offline

Threads: 48
RE: Stanley Woods @ Governors Bridge 1936
What a brilliant posting!! Many thanks Paul.
27-10-2016, 10:20 AM
Find Reply
sticky Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 39
Unfortunately you probably won't be able to get a shot like that without press accreditation. You can stand in roughly the right area (behind a wall) but the marshals there have a habit of standing in the way... (they also have a habit of walking or moving in front of photographers trying to do their job....grrrrr). No-one is allowed where the spectators in teh shot are these days either, so it's not as atmospheric a picture as it used to be. Also, they've built a relief road where the wall in the background was, so to be honest it's not the best place for a picture anymore.
27-10-2016, 12:37 PM
Website Find Reply
Paul S Offline
Just Getting Started

Thanks for the info, I've looked on Google Street View and must admit I struggle to identify the corner the way it looks now, if it wasn't written on the back of the photo I wouldn't have a clue! Still looking forward to visiting from Australia for the first time and I'm sure I'll get lots of other good shots .... I hope! LOL
(This post was last modified: 29-10-2016, 09:29 AM by Malcolm.)
27-10-2016, 10:32 PM
Find Reply
Splashdown Offline

Threads: 32
I think Sticky is correct. You would have to be further to the right (as you're looking).
I think you would be further away.
BUT, this is a truly fantastic photo of the great Stanley Woods. I once had the true privilege of meeting him.
Any more like this?
27-10-2016, 11:57 PM
Find Reply
Paul S Offline
Just Getting Started

No I only have the one, it was given to me by a guy I used to work with as he knew I was into bikes.
The photo has obviously traveled a fair bit, as per the back of the photo the name Borgelt in Maylands is apparently a famous name and location in Adelaide of a Motorcycle shop owner, I now have the photo and I'm in Sydney and it originally came from J Eastwood in Onchan (are they still there?)
(This post was last modified: 29-10-2016, 09:31 AM by Malcolm.)
28-10-2016, 04:32 AM
Find Reply
warrior Offline

Threads: 2
As above, the wall in the background with the 'News Chronical' advert has now gone due to road alterations, the corner itself also looks very slightly different as the brick corner post with the Dunlop logo wrapped around it was knocked down by a HGV trying to squeeze past another vehicle some years ago. This has been rebuilt but placed a few feet further back inside a kerbed concrete apron.

This spot is actually 200yrds from my house, if I get chance I'll take a photo as it is now from the same spot and post up.
(This post was last modified: 29-10-2016, 09:18 AM by warrior.)
29-10-2016, 09:17 AM
Find Reply
warrior Offline

Threads: 2
This is how it looks today, the wall in the background in the old photo would have stood where the grey road surface starts, and was taken down to accommodate the new road in the background, the circuit still uses the old road which is just out of sight to the left of the yellow bollard in the background.

The round brick white pillar stood originally on the edge of what is now the concrete kerb but was moved back slightly when it was rebuilt after being damaged in the late 80's or early 90's.

[Image: Governors.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 29-10-2016, 03:12 PM by Malcolm.)
29-10-2016, 02:57 PM
Find Reply
ian charlton Offline

Threads: 4
This is not an answer to your question,sorry if I,m hijacking,but just to say what a gentleman Stanley Woods was. I met and spoke with him at Mike Hailwoods memorial at Braddon in 81 and again at Misano in 91,he had all the time in the world to talk away with me,and said he was in awe of the way the Boys were lapping the mountain in the then modern days. A gentleman and so modest,one of the highlights of any throughout my biking days. And the way he took the Velocette round the track during a demo ride,at his time of life,no one will ever forget. A truly outstanding man. One of the greatest ever.
06-11-2016, 01:51 PM
Find Reply