IOMTT Newbie
FlyBri Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 1
IOMTT Newbie
I've finally booked accommodation and travel to finally go and watch some of the TT after years of watching and reading about it - can't wait!
The first learning for me was not booking the ferry for the bike and us as soon as they came out, so we've now opted for flying which is a real shame as we're there over the Superbike weekend with Mad Sunday which I would have loved to have a go at.  It'll need to wait till the following year :-)

Anyway, we've got accommodation booked for Douglas and I'm looking for some advice as to some good places to watch from.  I'm not terribly keen on the start finish straight as would like somewhere with a bit of a bend where you get a real sense of the speed as they fly by.
Any suggestions or pointers on good places to go / book?
Also, is it possible to book some sort of paddock access for wandering about on one of the days?

Any help appreciated - I'll pay you in beer if I see you there!
Cheers

Bri
22-12-2016, 12:54 AM
Find Reply
warrior Offline

Threads: 2
RE: IOMTT Newbie
Welcome to the forum Bri.

The bottom of Bray Hill is walking distance from anywhere in Douglas, and certainly provides what you describe as "a bit of a bend and real speed" you may have seen it on the telly, but standing there it will stun your senses!! you'll get many other tips on here too.

You can wonder around the paddock anytime without charge, that is one of the many beauties of the TT.
22-12-2016, 08:38 AM
Find Reply
scaramanga Offline

Threads: 25
bray hill will be recomended by most
theres too many places that will be a jaw dropper for a newbie
what i will say if you go to 1 of the really fast places you wont see much and you will find it hard to identify most of the bikes and riders
bottom of bray at the traffic lights is good but very popular
the top of bray at st ninians crossroads isnt as popular or as jaw dropping but i like it there and you get tea/coffee and cakes from the church at a decent price
union mills church is also good for this and a decent viewing place along with the railway pub beer garden looking down from the wall as they drop into union mills and ofcoarse you can be feed and watered at the pub
its a little walk from douglass but its 1 i make regularly
think union mills is around 2 to 3 miles from start line so its not that far just make sure you set off early enough if walking before roads close
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

proud to own and ride a british motorcycle  triumph daytona 675 Hehe
22-12-2016, 11:26 AM
Find Reply
BrianW Offline

Great, a chance to think about the TT course, thank you Flybri.
I am assuming that you will be on foot or public transport, the places mentioned are all good, and Braddan Bridge is accessible during races by the road parallel to the course. I have always found the buses quite easy to get the hang of, just remember to leave plenty of time to get to the vantage point you want and watch out for the roads closing times on race days. I have used the buses to get to places such as Glen Helen from Douglas quite easily, another option I would suggest is, if it is a dry, clear day, go to the far end of the prom to Derby Castle and take the electic tram to Laxey, then the mountain railway up to the Bungalow, I have done this a few times on day trips, it take a bit of time but you can see the wheel and Laxey while you are there.
IOM tours used to run coaches to the Creg and other places from half way along the prom - no sure if they still do, any ideas guys !
Mainly, enjoy it, it is a unique place, and if it looks quick on the telly then the first bike past will blow your mind. Roll on May.
22-12-2016, 03:54 PM
Find Reply
Splashdown Offline

Threads: 32
I think that Signpost Corner is a fair spot to watch. A fast approach. a decent 90degree bend, and you can watch them disappear round Bedstead.
I once walked it from the Sefton Hotel on the promenade, and it took about an hour and 10minutes.
You walk into Martin Bullock's garden, make a contribution to the Helicopter Fund, and stand on the bank in the garden right on the bend.
You've got toilet facilities, tea and sandwiches, plus a decent radio commentary.
Definitely where I would go, even for just one race.
You could cut out most of the walk by catching a bus to the Manx Arms in Onchan.
22-12-2016, 07:08 PM
Find Reply
warrior Offline

Threads: 2
About an hour and 10 minutes Nick?? You must have stopped for a pint in each pub, it's 2.5 miles from the Sefton to Martins house via Onchan!!
22-12-2016, 09:18 PM
Find Reply
Splashdown Offline

Threads: 32
Ha ha! It's uphill.......and I went via the Paddock! Honest!
Still think it's more than 2.5 miles, but you're probably right.
Anyone coming over to watch without transport, has to consider doing their fair share of walking.....or hitching lifts!
23-12-2016, 02:40 AM
Find Reply
ericcane Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 7
IOM Transport usually run a TT Special that leaves Douglas a couple of hours or so before the roads close and stops at all points on the course up to Ramsey,and picks up when the roads reopen.You can get to some good spots like Cronk y Voddy,Kirkmichael or K Trees quite easily and a it's a lot quicker than using the regular bus service.
(This post was last modified: 23-12-2016, 10:16 AM by ericcane.)
23-12-2016, 10:14 AM
Find Reply
veefour Offline

Threads: 16
Bray Hill is unbelievably jaw dropping to watch from for the first time, although you need to get there early. Diehard fans get there from 6.00 am. to guarantee a front row spot !!
Grey-haired riders don't get that way from pure luck.
23-12-2016, 01:55 PM
Find Reply
FlyBri Offline
Just Getting Started

Great pointers - thanks guys! I think Bray Hill is for sure on the hit list then.
Cheers
Bri
02-01-2017, 07:36 PM
Find Reply
veefour Offline

Threads: 16
(02-01-2017, 07:36 PM)FlyBri Wrote: Great pointers - thanks guys!  I think Bray Hill is for sure on the hit list then.
Cheers
Bri

Try to get on the concrete steps on the left hand side, just before the Traffic Lights at the bottom of the hill & prepare to be amazed. As I said you need to get there very early though ( and don't forget your packed lunch ! ).
Grey-haired riders don't get that way from pure luck.
03-01-2017, 11:15 AM
Find Reply
Lesq Offline

Gorse lea, great spot on the main bus route to peel, Harold Leece's farm wall, get there early, very early, food, toilets and a great cuppa.

The crosby leap is another good one, in the main route to peel again, farm with a catering van in the field.

03-01-2017, 04:32 PM
Find Reply
HammerHead Offline

Threads: 23
It's just under 2 miles from the grandstand to Hillberry, walkable I'd say although I've never actually walked it! Stand behind the low wall and you'll be within 2 feet of them as they tip in to the corner. You can see them approach down from Brandish. If you choose a spot a little further 'around' the corner you won't be as close but will see them exit Hillberry and head off towards Cronk-ny-Mona.

"There is nothing so momentary as a sporting achievement, and nothing so lasting as the memory of it."
04-01-2017, 01:04 PM
Find Reply