Is it worth taking push bikes
squigley Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 2
Is it worth taking push bikes
QOk Hi we are taking the camper van over for race week and will be taking a bike on the back, I was just wondering if it's worth taking couple of push bikes in the van as well. Has anyone done it and is it a good idea with how busy the roads are ?
01-05-2017, 07:47 PM
Find Reply
warrior Offline

RE: Is it worth taking push bikes
Yes it's worth it if you have the space, plenty of glens and trails to explore on non race days if that is your thing, but also the fastest way to get through Douglas if you need to nip to the shop, and no parking problems.
01-05-2017, 09:10 PM
Find Reply
scaramanga Offline

Threads: 25
it all depends if you are likely to use them
if your cyclists id say yes go for it
but if you are not really then dont take something your not likely to use
push bikes could be very handy getting to some places thats harder to get to in cars or motorbikes and long way on foot
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

proud to own and ride a british motorcycle  triumph daytona 675 Hehe
01-05-2017, 09:37 PM
Find Reply
AndyL Offline

The old railway line is a nice flat cycle route, goes up the west side of the island and links Kirkmichael, Ballaugh, Quarry Bends, Sulby and Ramsey on the course.
03-05-2017, 02:25 PM
Find Reply
Andy from Kazakhstan Offline

Threads: 4
Yes, I've taken a bike over previous years and found it useful, I wouldn't recommend riding over the mountain road though Icon_lol
03-05-2017, 06:34 PM
Find Reply
Nev14 Offline

Threads: 1
You going this year Andy?
03-05-2017, 11:45 PM
Find Reply
Nasher Offline

Threads: 30
No - take a unicycle!

But seriously, inferring I'd just made free with the humour, there are some excellent cycle routes in the IOM - link here to some of them: https://www.visitisleofman.com/dbimgs/Cy...de_Web.pdf

As someone mentioned earlier, stay away from the circuit especially the mountain section. (I believe cycling over the mountain section during the TT was banned at one time - not sure if it is, but it's not something I would do)

Have a great time, I'll be the one on the unicycle!!!!

Nasher
04-05-2017, 07:46 AM
Find Reply
charlieb Offline

Threads: 7
I flew over for the classic and hired a mountain bike for the weekend. Was a great way to get around but having previously only taken powered vehicles over to the Island, it was a sharp reminder of how many hills there are. Roads are so crowded during TT week that cycling is actually quite safe as everyone is stuck in traffic. Always carry a puncture repair kit too, I got three punctures in two days. Obviously, keep off the mountain!!
04-05-2017, 04:42 PM
Find Reply
Andy from Kazakhstan Offline

(03-05-2017, 11:45 PM)Nev14 Wrote: You going this year Andy?
I'll drop you an email Nev.
04-05-2017, 08:54 PM
Find Reply
Azman Offline

Threads: 5
Is there a peddle bike Forum? maybe the guy that went Anti Clockwise over the Mountain last year is on it?

"Its turned out quite nice ....." Beer2
Riggsy
04-05-2017, 09:25 PM
Find Reply
Timmy594 Offline

We were having 5 mins parked at Windy when the idiot on the bike went past going the wrong way when he wasn't even supposed to be on the road on the first place. He was told but ignored everyone. Typical cyclist.
07-05-2017, 10:49 AM
Find Reply
laverda77 Offline

Threads: 9
HI, Me and my brother in law took a couple off push bikes 2 yr running circa 1989/ 90,camping at Peel,stumbled on or got lost, is nearer the truth,and ended up finding interesting spots ,I guess we would have missed otherwise , the ,the Railway inn and the bridge at Union Mills,and the bit formerly known as Ballig bridge.I drank a helluva lot of okells that week and went home slimmer than before, with legs like tree trunks, the other poster is right about the old railway .I found cycling on the TT circuit that hour before roads closing terrifying,and would avoid that.
08-05-2017, 09:36 PM
Find Reply