Mobile phone networks
paully21 Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 4
Mobile phone networks
So, what's the story for mobile phones on the island? My T-Mobile phone usually works everywhere internationally, but I just checked the coverage for Isle of Man and it doesn't seem to be good.

I have a T-Mobile and an EE SIM card for my phone. Are there any UK providers that offer coverage on the island and if not, is it possible/easy to purchase a SIM card when I get there?

Thanks!
24-05-2017, 12:54 PM
Find Reply
HammerHead Offline

Threads: 23
RE: Mobile phone networks
Both Vodafone and EE work on the Island, although roaming charges applied last year. I think that might not be the case this year.

Sure and Manx Telecom are the local networks and SIM cards can be bought locally.

"There is nothing so momentary as a sporting achievement, and nothing so lasting as the memory of it."
24-05-2017, 01:01 PM
Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
On the front page of this Website, there is a RED ticker Scroll towards the top that provides a link to the Local TELCO, that will give you some information relative to what is available etc.

https://www.manxtelecom.com/personal/mob...ur-network

Regards,

Malcolm
24-05-2017, 02:28 PM
Website Find Reply
Chrisp955 Offline

Threads: 21
O2 free European data roaming dosnt come in to the 15th of June. So I think u pay a extra £2 a day to use your phone on the rock. And that's if u send 1 tx or 20. Same with data
24-05-2017, 06:40 PM
Find Reply
paully21 Offline
Just Getting Started

Thanks everyone...But, one more question...

Malcom, I did read the info in the Manx Telecom (I actually saw it before I posted), but it doesn't really say if I can purchase a pay-as-you-go SIM card on the island.

Is that an option? And is it an easy option?  We get in Monday (the 29th) and I saw the store hours (until 17:30)...Is that the only place to buy SIMs?

Thanks,

Paul
24-05-2017, 07:27 PM
Find Reply
Andy from Kazakhstan Offline

Sure have a store at the back of the grandstand where you can buy a payg sim, it's always my 1st call when I arrive. You'll obviously need an unlocked cell phone, 4G sim is free with a minimum £5 credit in store or £10 online if I remember correctly.
24-05-2017, 09:05 PM
Find Reply
Stroller Offline

Threads: 14
(24-05-2017, 07:27 PM)paully21 Wrote: Thanks everyone...But, one more question...

Malcom, I did read the info in the Manx Telecom (I actually saw it before I posted), but it doesn't really say if I can purchase a pay-as-you-go SIM card on the island.

Is that an option? And is it an easy option?  We get in Monday (the 29th) and I saw the store hours (until 17:30)...Is that the only place to buy SIMs?

Thanks,

Paul
Most newsagents sell payg sims for both MT and Sure.
These only work if your phone isn't locked to your home provider.
(This post was last modified: 24-05-2017, 10:12 PM by Stroller.)
24-05-2017, 10:09 PM
Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
If you follow the links from the main Manx Telecom page (linked to from the front page of this website), Use "Store" tab at the top of the page, you will see a page full of items that you can purchase, including a Pay As You Go Card for £5.

They say they send it free of charge !!!

If you purchase on-line, you can have it sent to you or you can pick it up at the Manx Telecom shop in Douglas, providing photographic ID evidence of yourself and your purchase reference number.

Malcolm
24-05-2017, 10:23 PM
Website Find Reply
badlyoverdrawnboy Offline

Threads: 2
You can usually buy the sims on the ferry, a few years ago I bought a Phone including £20 credit for about £25 because my latest model superphone was difficult to unblock. Just remember that when you phone home on a payg sim its an international call and the EU free roaming doesent apply cos the IOM aint in the EU so its down to each individusal operator, T mobile reamed me out a few years back because I misread their tariff £169 for a few brief calls out and my share of the incoming calls from timewasters trying to sell me PPI claims!!!
(This post was last modified: 25-05-2017, 08:31 AM by Malcolm.)
25-05-2017, 12:16 AM
Find Reply
TTNeb Offline

My partner got a £10 Sure SIM from their shop at the Grandstand last year. Impressed with local coverage on it. Got 4g at the top of Windy Corner. Struggle to get that in some places around home - Norwich!

Used data allowance during TT then the credit when we were over at Christmas.
Everything will be alright in the end. And if it's not alright, it's not yet the end.

25-05-2017, 08:38 PM
Find Reply
taxman Offline

Threads: 1
PAYG SIMs are widely available around the Island. Petrol Stations, Newsagents etc all stock both Manx Telecom and Sure. Beware roaming charges!! The IOM is not part of Europe so EU roaming rules don't necessarily apply. Check with your provider.
26-05-2017, 01:35 PM
Find Reply
AndyL Offline

Threads: 2
Definitely worth checking the charges. Last time I looked, calls within the IOM were as cheap on my UK PAYG SIM (a supermarket one) as with a local Manx PAYG SIM.
26-05-2017, 03:23 PM
Find Reply