glen moar/ black dub spectators
iomfireblade Offline

Threads: 2
glen moar/ black dub spectators
/few years ago use to watch from here, then safety jumps in and makes it all restricted areas. even sat in the forest above black dub, stood at the old forecourt at glen moar café .could not park bike any where there against the safety law . now low and behold we have viewing for spectators, bike park,   car park and burger tents . so what has changed from 5 years ago. £££££££££££££££££££ Icon_evil Icon_evil Icon_evil Icon_evil
28-05-2017, 04:31 PM
Find Reply
captainsparkledotcom Offline

Threads: 364
RE: glen moar/ black dub spectators
I think maybe we should be thankful?  I seem to remember something about a falling out with the (then) new owners a few years ago? banning people, marshals etc from the land?

Sounds good though, not been there for years!
(This post was last modified: 28-05-2017, 08:01 PM by Malcolm.)
28-05-2017, 05:06 PM
Website Find Reply
iomfireblade Offline

its been empty and derelict for the last 4 years and the buildings are still boarded up, its just the forcourt area being used for spectators and bike park  and field alongside for car park.and portaloos. I know its great for us fans but what has changed from a totally restricted area to what it is now.
28-05-2017, 05:21 PM
Find Reply
Timmy594 Offline

Threads: 4
Just shows that safety is sometimes used as an excuse. We all know it and have seen many examples. I suppose we just ought to be thankful.
28-05-2017, 06:21 PM
Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Online
Administrator

Threads: 13
What has changed I suspect is somebody else now owns the land, somebody who isn't scared or bothered by the prospect of a public liability court case in the event of an accident - these people are in the minority these days, i'd be much more grateful than antagonised as it's a very very good place to watch / listen from especially f you haven't been there before as you can hear the engine drone gear changes etc in the valley a long time before you see the bikes. Just enjoy it while it's there .... like the rest of it
28-05-2017, 09:04 PM
Find Reply
TTNeb Offline

Good news. Hasn't been an option on my visits. Can imagine how good it is as have watched at Laurel Bank and that's good.
Everything will be alright in the end. And if it's not alright, it's not yet the end.

28-05-2017, 09:20 PM
Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Online
Administrator

Threads: 13
The blind left after forecourt is one of those dance with the devil corners where going in early makes the left a bit "easier" but the following right a whole lot more interesting as you run out much wider but if you convince yourself to hang out late for the left the following right becomes "easier" ... wish I was 20 odd years younger again. Happy to just watch there again ....
28-05-2017, 09:49 PM
Find Reply
RTR Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 0
Rolleyes  RE: glen moar/ black dub spectators
It was my favourite corner on an outfit. Very fast and 'floaty' all the way through. The transition from the right, left, right - combined with the slight variation in elevation through the corner, was immensely satisfying at racing speed.
I always reckoned I could go a little bit faster everytime I hit it, but my passenger kept telling me he thought I was on the limit and would be happier if I just backed off a bit.
(This post was last modified: 29-05-2017, 12:19 PM by Malcolm.)
28-05-2017, 10:48 PM
Find Reply
veefour Offline

Threads: 16
(28-05-2017, 04:31 PM)iomfireblade Wrote: /few years ago use to watch from here, then safety jumps in and makes it all restricted areas. even sat in the forest above black dub, stood at the old forecourt at glen moar café .could not park bike any where there against the safety law . now low and behold we have viewing for spectators, bike park,   car park and burger tents . so what has changed from 5 years ago. £££££££££££££££££££ Icon_evil Icon_evil Icon_evil Icon_evil
I watched the 1992 250cc. from up in the forest on the exit. I think that particular area was restricted a couple of years later maybe due to a couple of nasty accidents especially Mark Farmers tragic one on the Britten in '94.
The last time I watched from the Glen Moar Café area was 2007, great spot on the bank just past the Café, had to get there early for front row, refreshments, toilets etc. brilliant, one of my favourites. When the Café closed I think it was made restricted because of the usual public liability insurance scenario.
Grey-haired riders don't get that way from pure luck.
29-05-2017, 11:37 AM
Find Reply
AndyL Offline

There was a crack-down with a load of new restricted areas a few years ago wasn't there, in response to a bad accident, and I think a few of those new restrictions have been wound back since. I guess we should be thankful that the "health and safety" ratchet doesn't work in only one direction on the IOM, like it does elsewhere.
31-05-2017, 07:03 PM
Find Reply
Doc Offline

Threads: 1
Speaking as a marshal at the Dub (not there this year unfortunately - maybe for the MGP) it is lovely to have spectators back.  The land has recently changed hands and much was to do with insurance problems.  I understand there is a plan to redevelop the area and the lads who have it now are (by all accounts) fantastic people.  I know the lawn area is still restricted - and this is quite likely because of the incident a couple of years ago when a bike hit the curb and bounced into the exact place where people used t watch.  It could have been horrific if anyone was there.  It is an awesome place to watch - how any of you racers get around there is mindblowing.  So if anyone does want to get the best view - it's from the scaffold.  Just sign on the dotted line and you'll be welcomed with open arms!!!
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2017, 04:09 PM by Malcolm.)
05-06-2017, 03:11 PM
Find Reply
AndyL Offline

I noticed on TV the inside of Ramsey Hairpin has gone back to being a restricted area after the sidecar incident.
09-06-2017, 11:53 AM
Find Reply
TTNeb Offline

Yes they said would be for the rest of this week and I imagine they'll review it for next year.
Everything will be alright in the end. And if it's not alright, it's not yet the end.

09-06-2017, 08:48 PM
Find Reply