Zero interest, Zero bikes
manxmike1 Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 1
Zero interest, Zero bikes
Just a thought, but as it looks as though there might be as many as five starters in the TT Zero isn't it time it was dumped or at least a rule put in place that if less than a certain number actually start the race then it gets cancelled.
This year the whole thing could easily be decided by tossing a coin.
What a waste of time, it should never have been run on the TT course, possibly the Billown circuit over two laps might have been more entertaining.

Dodgy
08-06-2017, 07:48 AM
Find Reply
civ Offline

Threads: 3
RE: Zero interest, Zero bikes
Given the limited time left to run races and weather forecast, I can imagine it not being run this year.
08-06-2017, 09:11 AM
Find Reply
Timmy594 Offline

Threads: 4
Dunno if it's a rule as such but a few years ago Paul Philips said there should be 40 finishers for a race to be a valid TT. It's a joke parade lap and everyone knows it. Every motor sport has rules but it looks like the zero win just goes to the team that can spend many millions with the rest literally miles behind. If they have to have the zero then so be it but don't let it encroach on the proper stuff.
08-06-2017, 09:32 AM
Find Reply
badlyoverdrawnboy Offline

Threads: 2
If threre is a window tomorrow I hope they put the Senior on Immediately then slideys then zero interest- and no phaffing about with Subaru laps. 

These bikes are not the way forward, all bar one are powered by fossil fuel and all use environmentally damaging batteries and it has been withering away since its inception.

To give a TT win to one of these demeans the great race - even a previous winner called it 'the plastic TT' the other night, basically letting Mugen spend sqiillions on it has barred any proper competition. Paul Philips did say that you need 40 to justify a race if the IOM wan't to be truly green the best option is to run fourty year old TZs on castor oil the impact on planet would be much less than the 5 'zero' bikes.

Mugen planned to run 2 different strategies, so I suppose if Ansty DNFs Guy might have a reasonable chance of his only 'win'
08-06-2017, 09:58 AM
Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Here is an extract from the Honda Motor Co., Ltd. President & CEO Takahiro Hachigo Speech at Honda Meeting 2017, dated 8th June 2017

Quote:<Motorcycles>

We are striving to promote the electrification of commuter models, and we are planning to introduce some new models including an electric scooter in 2018.

We are currently working on the research and development of a highly-convenient system for electric commuters, which feature a detachable mobile battery that is easy to replace and/or recharge. We are considering to conduct demonstration testing of this mobile battery in collaboration with the Japan Post Co., Ltd. in Japan.

Seems like Honda are of the opinion that ELECTRIC power is in fact a necessity for the future, whether we agree with it or not.

The Mugen collaboration with Honda in this field could very well benefit those bikes at the TT.
08-06-2017, 10:44 AM
Website Find Reply
RichR Offline

Threads: 0
Despite the obvious fact that electricity has to come from somewhere and the batteries are environmentally disastrous to make, electric bikes are more than likely the future. TT Zero is probably quite a few years ahead of its time and will become relevant one day, but at the moment really it is a joke. The Mugens are beautifully made engineering marvels, but there is NO ONE ELSE! The 250 class was scrapped because there were supposedly not enough entries and they were seen as becoming out of date but at least there was an actual race. Are the organisers embarrassed or delighted with the Zero's, I don't know. From a massive fan of actual racing on the mountain course though, they are indeed Zero interest.
08-06-2017, 12:01 PM
Find Reply
cregnybaa Offline

Threads: 9
So now they have cancelled a proper bike race but are going to discuss the zero interest race.
08-06-2017, 12:06 PM
Find Reply
civ Offline

Threads: 3
If they ran the supersport race, riders would have to race 10 laps tomorrow if competing in both. Running the zero may be more practical.
08-06-2017, 12:25 PM
Find Reply
HammerHead Offline

Threads: 23
If they cancel the Zero race then it may well be the death knell for it. I don't know what other racing Mugen or the other teams do during the year but to spend the money they have done and not race will, I would have thought, make them think twice about returning.

Will running the electric bikes first give those 5 riders an advantage (albeit small) when it comes to the Senior having done a 'sighting lap'?

"There is nothing so momentary as a sporting achievement, and nothing so lasting as the memory of it."
08-06-2017, 12:57 PM
Find Reply
BenjiesDad Offline

Threads: 10
Maybe run the Zeros at Billown on Saturday ?
Its a circuit where they really belong, until more bikes are entered,
RichR, the last year of the 250,s when they said there wasn't enough entered, hence such a small field, Was down to figures being made up as to how many entered, ( should know as I got knocked back along with a lot of good riders, )
08-06-2017, 12:59 PM
Find Reply
cregnybaa Offline

(08-06-2017, 12:25 PM)civ Wrote: If they ran the supersport race, riders would have to race 10 laps tomorrow if competing in both. Running the zero may be more practical.

They could run the 4 lap race in the morning then the sidecars then the senior late afternoon, Reduce the senior if need be to 4 laps.
08-06-2017, 01:16 PM
Find Reply
BenjiesDad Offline

Zero,s are on first ! Beggers belief,,
Money talking I think,
Honda trying to get some good PR after all the problems ?
08-06-2017, 01:27 PM
Find Reply
cregnybaa Offline

If it must go then it should be last, its the low point of the event and we would see how many spectators would stay by the roadside to watch it.
08-06-2017, 02:01 PM
Find Reply
jeffa Offline

Threads: 1
I am currantly working on harnessing lightning strikes, once i master this i will stick it right up the Muggens, i have no intrest in competing at the TT
(This post was last modified: 08-06-2017, 02:22 PM by Malcolm.)
08-06-2017, 02:15 PM
Find Reply
RichR Offline

Threads: 0
(08-06-2017, 12:59 PM)BenjiesDad Wrote: Maybe run the Zeros at Billown on Saturday ?
Its a circuit where they really belong, until more bikes are entered,
RichR, the last year of the 250,s when they said there wasn't enough entered, hence such a small field, Was down to figures being made up as to how many entered, ( should know as I got knocked back along with a lot of good riders, )

The problem was that they were seen as 'old hat' and were hard to put the word 'super' in front of. I Do remember some controversy at the time about entries being refused and was a shame for those caught up in it all. Really glad to see them back at the Manx/ Classic, do love a proper stroker.
08-06-2017, 04:40 PM
Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Offline
Administrator

Threads: 13
They should let a few made for racing purposes only 250's in with the ER6 commuter bike race it might just slightly resemble a Lightweight race then.
08-06-2017, 05:15 PM
Find Reply
BRADDAN OAK Offline

Threads: 21
I think Benjiesdad has got it about right, money and running zero's at Billown.

08-06-2017, 06:04 PM
Find Reply
badlyoverdrawnboy Offline

Threads: 2
Its only my respect for his grace the right honourable Gary Thompson OBE, MBE, BSM, DFC bar that prevents me doing a North Korean rocket.mpression, he must have a cast iron weather guarantee, remember the roads now have open at 5.30ish so it won't take much delay to end up with the seniors going out after tea with headlights on! This is the complete reverse of how it should be run obviously Honda/Mugen money talks- trying to save some face.

I also wonder, if one of my riders had a poorly paw i'd be letting him fanny about on a leccy bike in the damp on a parade lap before the proper race for which I'm paying him, mind you Guy might prefer to be on the Mugen in the Senior. I hope that if theres any delay in the morning at some point they can the zero interest and any subaru laps etc  rather than knocking the whole program back. To be fair to the CoC he hasn't made many wrong calls so best of luck to him it just seems a bit random to me.

Another thing going for him is that the mountain road is being closed overnight and handed straight over in the morning which removes the chance of a power ranger self destructing and causing a delayed start
08-06-2017, 06:56 PM
Find Reply
sticky Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 39
To be honest I think the imperative for running this comes from the Manx government rather than any one manufacturer. I think they still hold the belief that by continuing with this they will become an international centre for an industry that no-one appears interested in (I'm excluding the electric car market from that comment!)

However, with 5-6 starters yet again (how many years has it been like that?) I really don't understand how anyone can argue for it continuing at the moment.
08-06-2017, 07:20 PM
Website Find Reply
BenjiesDad Offline

Think its going to be a case of wait and see what happens tomorrow,,
The overnight closure of the Mountain section, must have a few bums twitching ?
What alterations have they made cutting banks back etc, have caused so much water to flood the road and possibly lift the road surface ! If like me, you will have been there when the weather has been just as bad, but not caused this problem before,

As for the Non TT race that is called the Duracell race,
Its time that it was moved on to pastures new, where its more suited and they have more time for it in the programme, And more charging points,,, Speaking of which, in my last job back up in the big world of London, We had 20 power supply points put into the car parks that I covered, In the first 2 years that they were in, only 2 cars used them,, And Central Government paid for them !
So if the Manx Government think they are going to get people to go green, they have no chance,,
Sorry got of topic sort off,

Personally I would love to have a ride on one of these battery bikes, just to see the Torque that they put out, ( we had a ford connect battery van FOC of ford, it went like sh-t of a shovel from the lights ! )
And with being just around the corner from the guys and girls at Brunel, had hoped to blag a go,, lol

Fingers crossed for a good safe days racing whatever,
Take care all of you over there !
08-06-2017, 07:41 PM
Find Reply