TT Shifting questions
smokinmikey Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 1
TT Shifting questions
I have been watching the TT races from the states every since they have been televised. These guys are crazy. Anyway after watching handlebar camera shots it looks like the riders never use a clutch lever to shift gears - how do they do do that ? Is it similar to current cars with no clutch and is total electronic hydraulic shifting ? I don't own a bike but fascinated withe the TT's.
Cheers
09-06-2017, 07:13 PM
Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Offline
Administrator

Threads: 13
RE: TT Shifting questions
Most bikes have electronic quickshifters where the rider still manually changes gear with his foot while on full throttle and the electrickery kills the ignition for microseconds at a pre set up/programmed time while the gear changes, the pop/bang noise ids the unburnt fuel being ignited afterwards. I don't think they are used between 1st and 2nd as a quickshifter set-up does put a little extra stress through the chain in the lower gears as J McG found out leaving Ramsey a few years ago when he snapped his chain. Back in the day before quickshifters and electrikery a rider would just "knock" the throttle ever ever so slightly when changing gear - the clutch would not be used in this manner either.
09-06-2017, 08:03 PM
Find Reply