Guy Martin calls time on road racing
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Guy Martin calls time on road racing
[Image: guyquits.jpg]

After withdrawing from this year’s Ulster Grand Prix, Guy Martin has decided to call time on his international road racing career.

The TT racer and truck mechanic turned TV star made an unexpected return to racing in 2017 after signing a deal to join a Honda dream team alongside 23-time TT winner John McGuinness, but that dream soon turned into a nightmare for Martin and the Louth-based team.

Late delivery of the all-new Fireblade left Martin and McGuinness with limited testing time on their superbike machines, meaning they’d stretch testing time into the international road racing season.

With McGuinness then injured at the North West 200 after an issue with the Fireblade’s kit ECU unexpectedly blipped the throttle, Martin was left to go it alone for TT, but things didn’t go to plan.

After a crash in the Superbike race, he would withdraw from the Senior, and after one final test with the team at Cadwell Park he has opted to call time on his road racing activities.

Explaining his decision to call it a day in an exclusive interview with MCN’s Matt Wildee, Guy said: 

“Racing’s been good to me, but I’m bored of it. You spend the early part of the year preparing for the season – testing, racing, talking about it, and then doing it all over again. It’s like Groundhog Day. It’s time to stop.”

[Image: MCNlogo.jpg]
26-07-2017, 11:14 AM
Website Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
RE: Guy Martin calls time on road racing
[Image: guymugenback.jpg]

Guy Martin - 11:00hrs

"So a lot of folk have been talking asking about racing and what I'm doing.

"I went into the year right excited about the new Honda. I thought it would be great straight away and so did the team.

I soon realised that it needed a lot of developing and it will be great but it needs time and I’ve got loads of other projects going on, that Id rather use that time for. I didn’t get involved to develop a bike over months and years, I was told I'd have a bike capable of winning straight away and that’s why I couldn’t turn down the opportunity.

"TT was a bloody disaster, aside from walking the dog and racing the Mugen, I didn’t enjoy it. It was clear even before that we were going to struggle and then it turned into me really being a test rider, which I did but after we did more testing at Cadwell a few weeks back, I said to the team the bike won't be competitive at the Ulster Grand Prix and they decided to withdraw me from the event, although they didn’t tell me, which is OK as the decision was made for me.

"So I’ve not given up on racing or road racing, there’s no unfinished business and I want to race classics and oddball stuff. All I've been thinking about recently is Pikes Peak and any spare time my brain has had is about Pikes Peak on 4 wheels. That job is down to me and if it doesn’t work, it’s my fault and I like that.

"So there’s no bad feeling. Neil Tuxworth has been upfront with me from the start and it's a shame for everyone that the new bike hasn’t worked. I know how much effort I put in and so do the team, so no regrets but I've got no plans to do anymore road racing on the Hondas this year.

"Nigel Racing Corporation (NRC) current plans are preparation for Pikes Peak and classic racing but the plans can change with the wind.

"Ta for the support." Guy

photo: http://www.guymartinproper.com
26-07-2017, 12:20 PM
Website Find Reply
veefour Offline

Threads: 16
What should have been a dream ride for Guy obviously ended up a nightmare which was not his fault, would have thought someone would have a decent bike to offer him for the Classic TT !!
Grey-haired riders don't get that way from pure luck.
26-07-2017, 07:57 PM
Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

Threads: 16
I have just read the article in this weeks MCN, and Guy says he decided not to do the Senior after an incident on the Mountain.
He came up to what he thought was fog/mist and backed off. The bike then went into a slide and he put both feet down as he struggled to keep it upright. At Keppel gate he was shouting at the marshals to get some flags out as 'fog' was an oil mist, and in his words, 'there were about 20 bikes involved in a crash' ( this was the incident that lead to Alan Bonners death)
I dont remember that many bikes being involved reported previously?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse
28-07-2017, 11:35 AM
Find Reply