November Isle of Man visit from US
Westerner Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 1
November Isle of Man visit from US
My wife and I will be visiting Scotland and Ireland this November and I couldn't go over there without at least visiting the island  where the TT takes place. We will only be there a couple days and I have rented a car and I was hoping to hear from some of you familiar with the island that could maybe tell me places on the island that I need to make sure we see? Manx museum, but also heritage.

Thanks alot for information
02-10-2017, 03:22 PM
Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Offline
Administrator

Threads: 13
RE: November Isle of Man visit from US
A lap of the course, not sure if the electric / steam railways run in Nov, Laxey Wheel, Peel Castle - especially if you get a fine clear evening for sunset, the scoreboards if you fancy a pic with proper old TT heritage. Have a good time .. rgds
02-10-2017, 08:27 PM
Find Reply
captainsparkledotcom Offline

Threads: 393
Yes, as Alfie says, a lap of the course is a must. perhaps stopping off at various iconic landmarks? Glen Helen, Sulby crossroads/straight, Ramsey Parliament Square/hairpin, Bungalow, Creg, the list can go on and on! Wherever you recognize from the TV/radio/films!  The heritage railways finish operating on 5th November, so you may be too late for those. Peel is good, as has been said, specially for the sunsets. Down to The Sound for a brew & piece of cake (presuming the cafe is open!??)  The scoreboard/grandstand is a good shout, that's very iconic.  Castletown, for the castle & harbour springs to mind. I'm sure there will be other really good suggestions,but I've got to go to work now!!!
Have a good trip, try & make it for the TT, you'll not be sorry!
03-10-2017, 08:00 AM
Website Find Reply
Westerner Offline
Just Getting Started

Thank you guys for the input I appreciate it the Peel Castle closes the day before we get there but the iconic score boards and just to be on the island and drive the course will be good with me it will have to do until I can make it looking forward to it. It's hard to get the coverage of the TT in the states so this will be a real treat thank you guys again.
04-10-2017, 03:29 PM
Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Offline
Administrator

Threads: 13
There's loads of clips, onboard bike, race highlight TT / MGP stuff on youtube, which go back a few years too, you'll be able to pick up some DVD's on the island as well. Have a good time
04-10-2017, 09:55 PM
Find Reply
HammerHead Offline

Threads: 23
There are numerous pubs on the course of varying iconic note and many will serve food during the day and evening. The Manx people are very friendly so these places will be great to stop in.

Having only visited during TT I don't know the opening/closing dates of the many attractions but the island is not big so changing plans is straightforward.

Joey's statue up at the bungalow is worth a photo stop. Various museums and attractions (Laxey Wheel, Transport Museum, Castle Rushen in Castletown, etc.) all around but check for opening times. Don't forget a lap of the Southern 100 circuit too!

"There is nothing so momentary as a sporting achievement, and nothing so lasting as the memory of it."
06-10-2017, 04:54 PM
Find Reply
Lesq Offline

how about doing a trike tour? they go regardless of the weather

09-10-2017, 08:16 AM
Find Reply