Be Wiser Ducati's Glenn Irwin retains the Sunflower Trophy
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Be Wiser Ducati's Glenn Irwin retains the Sunflower Trophy
[Image: irwinwinsatsunflower.jpg]

Local ace Glenn Irwin retained his title in scintillating fashion as he once again saw off the competition to record victory in the annual Sunflower Trophy Races held at Bishopscourt in his native Northern Ireland this weekend.

After a successful season in the MCE British Superbike Championship which saw the 27 year old from Carrickfergus in County Antrim record his first victory at Silverstone last month, Irwin was hoping to repeat the hat-trick of last year aboard the factory-backed Be Wiser Ducati Panigale R.

With Pole position and a victory in the opening race on Friday, which was brought forward a day due to a poor weather forecast, Glenn was on course but a technical problem in the second race on Saturday meant he had to give second best to rival Danny Buchan.

However, the Ulsterman bounced back in the third race to take the win and in doing so, retained the trophy he won for the first time last season.

The results capped a memorable week for Paul Bird’s Penrith-based team what with Shane ‘Shakey’ Byrne dramatically clinching his sixth British Superbike Championship a week ago, whilst Irwin ended an injury-hit season in style, the highlight for him being the victory at the North West 200 Superbike race back in May.

Glenn Irwin (Be Wiser Ducati #2)

“Another great event and I really enjoyed the weekend despite us having every mix of conditions so all credit to my team as the bike was faultless and we retained our title whilst rolling off the throttle. This showed how well the Be Wiser Ducati has performed this weekend and apart from the minor technical issue in race two, it’s been fantastic. Special thanks to the boss, Paul Bird, for sending our team over here at his own expense, I owe him a beer. A big thanks also to the team’s sponsors, my sponsors, my amazing supporters, Metzeler tyres and my family. That’s twice in a row now so roll on the Macau GP next month and then all preparations start for 2018."[/align]

Photo courtesy of Gavan Caldwell.

[Image: ducatimediahdr.jpg]
22-10-2017, 07:05 PM
Website Find Reply