Vote for Jonathan Rea - Sports Personality of the Year
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Vote for Jonathan Rea - Sports Personality of the Year

How can I vote online?

To vote online for BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2017, you must sign in to a BBC account. If you already have an account you can do that here.

If you do not have an account, you will need to register before you can vote. Details on how to do this can be found here.

Registering only takes a few minutes, and the same BBC account can be used across BBC online to write comments, personalise your BBC Sport app and iPlayer experience, or even vote on Strictly Come Dancing.

If you're clicking the links to sign in or register and you are taken to the BBC Homepage then you are already signed in to a BBC account and you are ready to vote when it opens during the live programme here.

I have my BBC account. Now what?

Once you have a BBC account, you are ready to go. You are advised to sign in to your account before the vote opens.

During the live show on 17 December, the presenters will let you know when the vote has opened. You will then be able to cast your vote online.

Simply go to the Sports Personality website when the vote is open and click on the Vote Now page.

The winner of the combined phone and online vote will be announced during the show.

BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2017Date: Sunday, 17 December Venue: Echo Arena, Liverpool Coverage: BBC One, Radio 5 live, BBC Sport website

You can cast your vote on the night for BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2017 by phone or for free online.

Voting will open during the live show on 17 December, with phone numbers shown on screen during the broadcast and made available online.

Online votes are capped at one per registered BBC account.
14-12-2017, 10:52 AM
Website Find Reply
scaramanga Offline

Threads: 25
RE: Vote for Jonathan Rea - Sports Personality of the Year
no bike racer gonna win that in this country at the moment
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

proud to own and ride a british motorcycle  triumph daytona 675 Hehe
14-12-2017, 09:53 PM
Find Reply
HammerHead Offline

Threads: 23
(14-12-2017, 09:53 PM)scaramanga Wrote: no bike racer gonna win that in this country at the moment

I'm not so sure. There are no real stand out candidates from 'mainstream' sports on the shortlist so if the motorcycle community all vote it could make a difference.

There is usually a "big name" person from a 'mainstream' sport that has done something notable, but this year not so with the possible exception of Lewis Hamilton. The disability sports representation are largely PC nominations - whilst recognising their courage and commitment the general public do not tend to view them as "sports stars" and so they do not gather huge votes. In my mind there are only 5 in with a real shout - Farah, Froome, Joshua, Rea and Hamilton.

Boxing fans tend to support nominations from their sport, as do F1. I would expect motorcycling fans to do the same and think these will be the top 3. Froome's recent publicity will probably count against him but Farah is a dark horse possibly getting votes due to his retirement (and career achievement) rather than what he's done this year.

I could, of course, be completely wrong!

"There is nothing so momentary as a sporting achievement, and nothing so lasting as the memory of it."
15-12-2017, 04:09 PM
Find Reply
scaramanga Offline

Threads: 25
the "sporting" world dont recognise bikes as sport though do they
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

proud to own and ride a british motorcycle  triumph daytona 675 Hehe
15-12-2017, 11:56 PM
Find Reply
veefour Offline

Threads: 16
Well look at that, runner up ! What an amazing result for Jonathan Rea, perhaps good old auntie BBC now might, just might think about giving bike sport a bit more of a mention again now & then.
Grey-haired riders don't get that way from pure luck.
18-12-2017, 09:55 AM
Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
[Image: johnrea-award.jpg]
Rea arrived on stage at Liverpool's Echo Arena on his superbike

Jonathan Rea's second place 'beyond wildest dreams'

World Superbike champion Jonathan Rea says never in his "wildest dreams" did he think he would finish second in Sports Personality of the Year 2017.

The Northern Irishman finished just 2,957 votes behind winner Sir Mo Farah.

Rea, 30, said the achievement was "an incredible way to cap 2017" - a year in which he won his third successive World Superbike title.

"It was incredibly strange, a big surprise. I was just happy to be here" Rea told BBC Northern Ireland.

"All the talking leading up to the event and all the support I had on social media, I could see it all, but I never in my wildest dreams believed that people would get behind me that much.

"It was a public vote so I need to thank everyone that picked up the phone, there will be some phone bill in our little country tonight!"

Rea broke American Colin Edwards' 15-year record for the number of points scored in a season as he won his third title in a row.

He was also made an MBE in the Queen's Birthday Honours, and hopes his Sports Personality runner-up finish will inspire more people to start following the sport.

"It's been a dream come true to win not one world championship, but now three on the bounce," he added. "To cap it off at the end of the season before I start my preparations for 2018 is just incredible.

"It really means a lot to do this for motorcycling. The last motorcycling nomination was 10 years ago, so to make a nice entrance tonight on my bike and to be voted for by the public is incredible.

"I think if we can bring superbike to more people, it's an amazing weekend out for people to watch and for young children to get involved with, then we've done our job tonight."

Rea finished above contenders including boxer Anthony Joshua, Formula 1 world champion Lewis Hamilton and four-time Tour de France winner Chris Froome.

"Chris Froome is my hero," he said. "What Lewis Hamilton has done in F1 this year is unheard of. Obviously, whatever I'm doing on the circuit or how I'm being is the correct way.

"[i] quite taken aback to be honest, I had no ambition or target to be even placed in the awards."[/i]

[Image: bbcsportni.jpg]
18-12-2017, 10:26 AM
Website Find Reply