Parish Walk
bsa499 Offline

Threads: 48
Parish Walk
Have any forum members taken part in or even completed the Parish Walk? I've entered the 2018 event and I'd greatly appreciate some training advice.
17-03-2018, 12:55 PM
Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Online
Administrator

Threads: 13
RE: Parish Walk
Good work there BSA, bravo - My Dad, uncle, cousins and numerous mates have, Dad used to do the TT Course walk as well, my old bust up ankles can just about manage Douglas promenade. You'll need a good back up crew for motivation and supplies, shoes that you've worn in well and know are a must, when you think you can't go on any further - YOU CAN, I spent a couple of hours with a mate on the phone early morning coming up out of Ramsey one year, other hills like the Sloc are a killer but look ahead in little target segments not at the very top, you won't see your physical "wall" coming just be prepared to take care and listen to you body when it slows down a little. Hydration is critical without sounding obvious but it's easy to miss where you should be having a drink but very hard to get your body's levels back to where they should be - drinking 2 pints of fluid because you've missed one pint earlier isn't the answer. Best of luck, see if you can tag onto somebody else at your pace - it's a great motivation with a co-walker with you.
17-03-2018, 01:52 PM
Find Reply
warrior Offline

Threads: 2
I haven't done it myself but several of my running mates have, and I've seen the state of their feet afterwards!!

They are holding some advice nights during the run up to the event, but that's not much help to you if you don't live here.

Other than that there are some tips on the event website, and good luck to you, it's one tough event!!
17-03-2018, 01:55 PM
Find Reply
bsa499 Offline

Many thanks for your sound advice. I am aware of the pre-event briefings but (unfortunately) I don't live on the Island. My training regime starts on March 26th. Boom!!!
18-03-2018, 11:01 AM
Find Reply
bsa499 Offline

Alfie N, I've noticed the image you include with your postings many, many times, but don't recognise it. I'm guessing it's Tarquinio Provini riding a light or ultra lightweight MV on the Clypse Course, but will you put me out of my misery please?
19-03-2018, 07:00 PM
Find Reply
Splashdown Offline

Threads: 32
I'd say it was Carlo Ubbiali in 1957. Could be wrong. Just looks more Ubbiali's style.
19-03-2018, 10:41 PM
Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Online
Administrator

Threads: 13
Hi BSA / Nick, It's one pic I took of some prints from my ever so enthusiastic TT / MGP uncle's collection, sorry to say I don't recall the name it just looked really good, I was born late 60's on the IoM so it's a little before my time. I'l be catching up with the bike family at TT time so i'll ask my uncle, he was well into race walking as well - seriously best rgds/respect for the Parish Walk, I will still be on the IoM then as staying on for Dad's 80th.
20-03-2018, 10:59 AM
Find Reply
dommyman Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 21
The bike looks like a Mondial to me, but I could be wrong.
20-03-2018, 01:25 PM
Find Reply
Nasher Offline

Threads: 30
Google suggests: Carlo Ubbiali with MV Agusta

Not sure if it's correct, way before my time as I always quote my age excluding VAT!
20-03-2018, 02:42 PM
Find Reply