Public's help sought in quest to name greatest ever TT rider
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Public's help sought in quest to name greatest ever TT rider
[Image: 2018presshdr.jpg]

Over 1,400 TT fans have already cast their vote in a poll to discover the greatest TT rider of all time.

The search takes in riders from almost every era of the Isle of Man TT’s 110-plus year history from pre war hero Stanley Woods to current stars such as Michael Dunlop and Ian Hutchinson.

The results of the public vote will be announced on a special programme made by new TT TV host broadcasters Greenlight Television, to be aired on ITV4 at 9.00pm on Monday, 28th May.

Fans wanting to take part in the poll can do so by visiting iomtt.com/vote, reviewing the videos of the top twenty suggestions and submitting their choice, or nominating another name if they feel they have been overlooked.

The question of ‘greatest’ TT rider of all time is a sticky one that has been debated for almost as long as the races have been run.

Some names on the list will be very familiar to fans of the TT: such as John McGuinness, Ian Lougher, Bruce Anstey, David Jefferies, David Molyneux and the previously mentioned Hutchinson and Dunlop – all of whose achievements speak for themselves.

Other names from the TT’s past need little introduction to today’s audience, especially Joey Dunlop whose 26 wins makes him the most successful TT rider ever.

Carl Fogarty and close rival Steve Hislop are well remembered for the record-breaking clashes the pair engendered in the late ‘80s and early ‘90s culminating in arguably the greatest race in TT history, the 1992 Senior TT Race, which saw Hislop win by just four seconds despite Fogarty setting a new absolute lap record on the final lap.

Again, Mike Hailwood and great rival Giacomo Agostini are names that no TT spectator can fail to recognise. Two supreme talents that lit up the Mountain Course in the 1960s and provided equally spectacular entertainment to Foggy and Hizzy’s later antics. Hailwood’s comeback in 1978 sealed his reputation with another generation of TT lovers and will make him a strong contender.

Dubliner Stanley Woods took an early lead in the ‘greatest ever’ battle by becoming the first man to win 10 TT races, a figure not eclipsed until Mike Hailwood’s ascendency in the 1960s.

Before Mike ‘the Bike’ hit the roads, two formidable competitors stake strong claims to last fame at the TT in the early years of it being the most prestigious race on the World Championship calendar: Geoff Duke’s sublime style and innovative approach contrasted strongly with pugnacious Glaswegian Bob McIntyre. Duke had more success and renown but McIntyre took the coveted 100mph lap record.

Uniquely, John Surtees followed up his incredible success at the TT and in motorcycle world championships by becoming the only man to date to also win a Formula One World Championship.

Phil Read’s long career saw him racing against Mike Hailwood in the 1960s and still being on the scene when Hailwood made his famous return in 1978 – indeed Phil was Mike’s closest challenger in that 1978 Formula 1 TT Race.

When Agostini’s career took him in a different direction, Charlie Williams was just on the rise. Through the 1970s he notched up a formidable tally of 8 wins, when just finishing the race on fragile two-strokes was an achievement in itself.

Although David Molyneux will be the most familiar sidecar name on the list it is hard to forget just what a competitor Rob Fisher was: from 14 finishes he took ten wins and three second places.

With the option to vote for other riders not mentioned on the top twenty list, voters have the chance to add names such as Harold Daniell, Jim Moodie, Bill Ivy, Adrian Archibald, Jimmy Guthrie, Jimmy Simpson, Freddie Frith or anyone else they feel deserves the accolade.

The poll, at iomtt.com/vote, is open until 01:00am on April 1st.

The results will be declared on ITV4 from 9.00pm on Monday, 28th May.
27-03-2018, 01:38 PM
Website Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Offline
Administrator

Threads: 13
RE: Public's help sought in quest to name greatest ever TT rider
Charlie Williams lap of nearly 113mph in 1979 on a Yamaha TZ350 for me and my era is the most outstanding single lap, I think it was on treadies as well. Anybody involved with getting a machine onto Glencrutchery Rd is great as far as i'm concerned.
27-03-2018, 05:20 PM
Find Reply
Nasher Offline

Threads: 30
Well said - couldn't agree more!
28-03-2018, 08:21 AM
Find Reply
HammerHead Offline

Threads: 23
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Matt Roberts refer to this being a vote for your "favourite" rather than the "greatest" at the launch? A subtle distinction that the official site does not appear to go along with.

"There is nothing so momentary as a sporting achievement, and nothing so lasting as the memory of it."
28-03-2018, 01:58 PM
Find Reply
taxman Offline

Threads: 1
I don't think it makes any odds really. IMHO its little more than a cynical attempt to boost web traffic for ITV to help them gauge the interest before selling advertising.
03-04-2018, 01:17 PM
Find Reply
Revvin rich Offline

Threads: 70
I've done who I think is the greatest / favourite rider of all time but different era's brings up different riders so my choice would have been different to my dad's choice but in my opinion anybody who can stick out the rigors of a TT race deserves a medal ! BRING ON JUNE  Icon_biggrin
03-04-2018, 05:01 PM
Find Reply
BrianW Offline

Threads: 1
It's a pointless debate, but can I throw Dave Savile into the mix.
04-04-2018, 10:37 AM
Find Reply
kilbil Offline

Threads: 13
Michael Rutter.

Kilbil
06-04-2018, 08:48 PM
Find Reply
scaramanga Offline

Threads: 25
(04-04-2018, 10:37 AM)BrianW Wrote: It's a pointless debate, but can I throw Dave Savile into the mix.

hey
dave savile was a true grass roots guy
looved how he gave interviews with dirty finger marks across his face
the last great 2 stroke sidecar racer
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

proud to own and ride a british motorcycle  triumph daytona 675 Hehe
06-04-2018, 10:15 PM
Find Reply