Senior race L3 waved yellow flags
spannerman Offline

Threads: 28
Senior race L3 waved yellow flags
Did Dean Harrison and Peter Hickman slow down for the waved Yellow flags on lap 3, Dunlops time indicated that he did, anyone know?
08-06-2018, 02:07 PM
Find Reply
Chris_Sav Offline
Administrator

Threads: 124
RE: Senior race L3 waved yellow flags
Was reported on Manx Radio as 'waved yellows for oil on the course' which should have triggered 'Lack of Adhesion' flags, not waved yellows (unless there was a broke bike as well)
[Image: chris-quill-blue.gif]Laurel Bank II Marshal, Classic TT & Manx GP
(This post was last modified: 08-06-2018, 02:14 PM by Chris_Sav.)
08-06-2018, 02:13 PM
Find Reply
scaramanga Offline

Threads: 25
sure it was mentioned on radio they had slowed and said times were slower than expected in section before they said about waved yellows
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

proud to own and ride a british motorcycle  triumph daytona 675 Hehe
08-06-2018, 02:50 PM
Find Reply
eman1948 Offline

Threads: 6
Just returned from holiday but listened to the the senior on Radio Manx and had the sector times on the i pad. It was on lap 1 that James Hilliers bike ground at Baaregarrow and put oil on the circuit but the only rider to slow notable through there was Michael Dunlop who was a good 10 seconds or more slower through that section than normal. It may have been he had a moment on the oil or he was the only one to treat the yellow flags with the respect they deserve. It in effect put paid to any chance he had of challenging for the lead.I noted that every other lap through there he was a lot slower than normal. If the ignoring of the yellow flags is the case then the CoC  needs to look at this and impose penalties or even black flag riders if they are ignoring the warnings as they are putting their lives and more importantly the lives of others and especially the lives of the voluntary marshalls at grave risk. Perhaps spectators in that area or maybe  MD or James Hillier could throw some more light on this.
19-06-2018, 12:28 PM
Find Reply
kilbil Offline

Threads: 13
If you look at the video of the incident on you tube it is clear that Rutter the second man through did not back off. He had a massive sideways moment on the oil. 

kilbil
(This post was last modified: 20-06-2018, 12:23 AM by Malcolm.)
19-06-2018, 08:34 PM
Find Reply
AntG Offline

Threads: 3
It happens far too often and it's the same culprits every year.
21-06-2018, 11:21 AM
Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

Threads: 16
(19-06-2018, 12:28 PM)eman1948 Wrote: Just returned from holiday but listened to the the senior on Radio Manx and had the sector times on the i pad. It was on lap 1 that James Hilliers bike ground at Baaregarrow and put oil on the circuit but the only rider to slow notable through there was Michael Dunlop who was a good 10 seconds or more slower through that section than normal. It may have been he had a moment on the oil or he was the only one to treat the yellow flags with the respect they deserve. It in effect put paid to any chance he had of challenging for the lead.I noted that every other lap through there he was a lot slower than normal. If the ignoring of the yellow flags is the case then the CoC  needs to look at this and impose penalties or even black flag riders if they are ignoring the warnings as they are putting their lives and more importantly the lives of others and especially the lives of the voluntary marshalls at grave risk. Perhaps spectators in that area or maybe  MD or James Hillier could throw some more light on this.

I was at the 11th last year when Jochem Van Den Hoek lost his life. Jochem was in the middle of the road with marshals in attendance, his bike was out of sight around the bend. Waved yellows were being displayed. Of the top runners only Michael Dunlop slowed right down, sat up. and held his arm up. All of the others slowed down significantly apart from one. 
He rolled off a bit as he approached the L/H bend, but as soon as the incident came into view, he accelerated  back up to speed, and went between the marshals and Jochem on the L/H side at full speed.
I lost all respect for him that day.
I commented about it to the marshals later on. The marshals asked me 'did you see that?' when I said yes, they asked me to do them a favor, and send an email to race control saying the same. When I asked why, I was told that when they complain about some riders, it falls on deaf ears.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse
22-06-2018, 02:02 PM
Find Reply
AntG Offline

Was it the same rider who needed marshals assistance later that week?
(This post was last modified: 22-06-2018, 03:35 PM by Malcolm.)
22-06-2018, 03:13 PM
Find Reply
AntG Offline

Apparently the incident at St Ninians in the Thursday night practice session this year should have been a red flag as well according to a couple of long serving marshals I know, a bike lying in bits with debris everywhere on one of the fastest parts of the track, waved yellows with marshals in the road with several riders just blasting through.
22-06-2018, 03:17 PM
Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

(22-06-2018, 03:13 PM)AntG Wrote: Was it the same rider who needed marshals assistance later that week?

Yes mate. 
I tweeted at the time ' whilst you were gaining valuable seconds over your rivals, I was watching your fellow competitor dying '
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse
22-06-2018, 03:34 PM
Find Reply
eman1948 Offline

Love him or hate him MD always respects the yellow flags, some years ago there was an accident on the mountain I think the clip was shown on TV or somewhere and MD sat up with his hand up and slowed right down but another clip showed a tall rider slow very little and he had a big off on the mountain some years before. They give very stiff penalties for speeding in the pits but to me yellow flags are as important if not far more important than pit lane speeding and penalties need to be imposed.  Gary Thompson C of C needs to look at this and treat these incidents more seriously.
23-06-2018, 02:52 PM
Find Reply
Spartacus Offline

Threads: 10
Who was it Mike? PM me.
(This post was last modified: 24-06-2018, 01:34 AM by Malcolm.)
23-06-2018, 05:46 PM
Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Offline
Administrator

Threads: 13
Maybe the message isn't getting or has not got through or the process has been lost, way back in the day when I was out there at we had Jack / Jacky Wood as CoC and in the meetings we were left in no doubt whatsover how to behave with flags shown "waved yellows means expect to find your mate lying in the road" Jack was a real gent who communicated very very well because he understood what us lads were getting from the event but also what discipline would be in place should we not listen - we all listened to him and paid attention  ...  If there is one thing though that maybe needs a little more understanding these days having witnessed as a spectator it's the physics/distance covered/handling of a very high speed motorcycle when it's off throttle and hard on the brakes with a corner/section still to be negotiated.
(This post was last modified: 23-06-2018, 07:30 PM by Alfie Noakes.)
23-06-2018, 07:22 PM
Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

(23-06-2018, 02:52 PM)eman1948 Wrote: Love him or hate him MD always respects the yellow flags, some years ago there was an accident on the mountain I think the clip was shown on TV or somewhere and MD sat up with his hand up and slowed right down but another clip showed a tall rider slow very little and he had a big off on the mountain some years before. They give very stiff penalties for speeding in the pits but to me yellow flags are as important if not far more important than pit lane speeding and penalties need to be imposed.  Gary Thompson C of C needs to look at this and treat these incidents more seriously.

Agreed 100% That was when William Dunlop had came off.

23-06-2018, 08:38 PM
Find Reply
AntG Offline

In a race at TT 2010 the top two finishers in that race went under the lap record on a lap with waved yellows, the third place finisher questioned how that was possible.
24-06-2018, 08:07 AM
Find Reply
TTNeb Offline

Threads: 4
Very interesting reading.
Everything will be alright in the end. And if it's not alright, it's not yet the end.

25-06-2018, 05:30 PM
Find Reply
eman1948 Offline

Could it be MD deliberately finished 4th as he did not want to share the rostram with the other two guys owing to the ignoring of the yellow flags. Just a thought.
25-06-2018, 10:48 PM
Find Reply
DBD 34 Offline

Threads: 20
Ehhh no.
I am a massive MD fan, but I think he was beaten fair and square. I don't even know if he will be able to get near these times in the future, really hope he can though.
25-06-2018, 11:11 PM
Find Reply
Splashdown Offline

Threads: 32
Well if anyone can get near those times in the future, other than Hicko and Dean, then it would be MD.
Don't believe he deliberately chose 4th place..........but it's an interesting thought!!
25-06-2018, 11:15 PM
Find Reply
Sam Pato Offline

Threads: 24
I seem to recall that he (MD) was a bit slower through that sector for the whole race - so I'd assumed that he mustn't have had the handling quite where he wanted it and it was most pronounced in that sector.

I'd also wondered if the yellow flag incident (which turned out to be a shed load of oil on the racing line!) knocked his concentration a bit and he decided to bring it home safe and reflect on a very a good weeks work. 

Never before had a group of riders been so fast in so many races at the TT - they must have been fried by the end of the Senior.
Warning Level 0% since 2006
26-06-2018, 12:00 AM
Find Reply