Be careful
Eeyore Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 1
Be careful
This year 3 of us, 50 year olds stayed Homestay for the first time. I'd put a message on the Homestay Facebook page looking for accommodation in Douglas. Got a message from a lady, registered and approved by Homestay, offering what we needed. Paid deposit, had regular contact in months leading up to the trip and all fine. Issue arose week before we travelled. Lady contacted to say that her cat had just had kittens, would this be a problem? I advised that 2 of us had allergies to cats so, yes, it's a problem. This was 1st mention of cats. I was then assured by the lady that the cats would stay with a friend and carpets would be cleaned before our arrival.

When we arrived, what a dump. House stank of cats and cigarette smoke , carpets filthy, shower full of hairs. Having handed over £600 for 5 nights we put up with it. 2nd night we came home to a full blown party going on in the house. Drinks lying around, music blasting, empty bottles everywhere, house full of smoke. We're no prudes and enjoyed a fair few drinks during the trip but this was like an episode of Shameless. I spoke to the host and told her that this was unacceptable. She accepted this, agreed to get her friends out of the house, clean it, get rid of the cats and no more smoking.

Unfortunately nothing changed. In addition, despite being given keys to lock our rooms, I returned twice to find the host in my bedroom, granted she was carrying out repairs, but so much for the locks.

After 3 days, we'd had enough and cleared out. Thankfully we were rescued by friends of friends living in Peel who insisted that we stay with them for the remaining 2 nights.

I had emailed Homestay on the 2nd day we were there and spoke with them by phone asking for help. I believe that they have deregistered the host from their scheme but they advised me that they can't offer me any protection or assist with seeking recompense. I have contacted the IoM Office of Fair Trading on my return home and they've told me that I should have pursued a refund while I was still on the Island, notwithstanding that I was there on holiday watching the races. They also suggested that I could pursue this through the courts but would probably need an Island address to kick this off.

So my message is, be very careful with this Scheme. In the main, most people that we spoke with whilst on the Island were fantastic, very friendly and helpful however we have been very let down by the host and by what we thought were supporting structures.
16-06-2018, 01:53 PM
Find Reply
warrior Offline

Threads: 2
RE: Be careful
Sadly there are a few stories like yours around, but thankfully not too many.

Whoever is conducting the registration checks is obviously not being thorough enough, as they should have also used their nose and eyes, but seeing all the 11th hour appeals for more registrations this year I get the feeling the government are so desperate to get bed spaces they are not being as particular as they should with the administration of the whole system.
16-06-2018, 02:11 PM
Find Reply
pete954 Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 1
I think you have been particularly unlucky. I’ve been doing Homestay now for many years and have had nothing but positive experiences. In fact this year I stayed in a house that wouldn’t have been out of place in the Hollywood Hills. Don’t let this years experience put you off.
PJB
23-06-2018, 11:25 AM
Find Reply
smallon Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 2
How awful for you all.  its people that like that let the whole Island down.  Shame on them
(This post was last modified: 09-08-2018, 06:18 PM by Malcolm.)
09-08-2018, 03:01 PM
Find Reply
manxmike Offline

Threads: 13
So sorry you had such an awful experience, hope it doesn't put you off the TT. We have been hosting for over 20 years and the same people came back year after year - not all homestay is bad!
23-02-2019, 05:32 PM
Find Reply
bsa499 Offline

Threads: 48
What bad luck, maybe the Homestay team aren't carrying out the necessary checks (which isn't difficult is it?). I hope you find somewhere suitable for future IoM visits. I found a Homestay for my wife and daughter to stay in 2013 while I was  based in the paddock competing in the Classic TT. I'm not competing at the moment but we're still making the annual pilgrimage for the Classic TT/MGP as marshals and it's great. Good people, good accommodation, good location it really is a home from home. They also introduced me to the Parish Walk and we're now regular June visitors, I take part in the walk and my wife's my support crew.
24-02-2019, 09:45 AM
Find Reply