Figures.
SILJA Offline

Threads: 38
Figures.
Has anyone seen the figures for The TT 2018 yet? I mean for the economic incoms and the number of visitors?
Don't be that optimistic! The light in the tunnel can be a train. Sad
28-06-2018, 09:56 AM
Website Find Reply
AntG Offline

Threads: 3
RE: Figures.
No but I'd be surprised if numbers were lower than usual as in the years I've been going I've never seen it so busy, especially around the paddock and Douglas prom but that could have been a side effect of the weather. There seemed to be a lot of families out and about too, though I'm guessing a lot of them would have been locals.
(This post was last modified: 28-06-2018, 12:13 PM by AntG.)
28-06-2018, 12:12 PM
Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

Threads: 16
Steam Packet figure show a drop of 2500 passengers and 801 bikes over the TT fortnight compared to the previous year.
I thought the roads were super quite of bikes this year, so was not surprised when those figures were released.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse
28-06-2018, 02:53 PM
Find Reply
kilbil Offline

Threads: 13
Steam packet numbers seem to confirm an overall improvement.

Final figures for this year’s fortnight were on a par with last year, with the Company carrying almost 34,000 passengers and 13,236 motorcycles to the Island between May 23rd and June 8th.
Latest figures also show a seven per cent rise in visitor arrivals during May. More than 11,000 (11,028) passengers travelled from Heysham compared to 10,207 in the same month last year, with 12,662 heading to Manx shores from Liverpool, again an increase from 2017.
Ben-my-Chree and fast craft Manannan worked around the clock during the fortnight to carry fans to the Isle of Man, while MV Arrow provided vital freight capacity, freeing up vehicle deck space on Ben-my-Chree.
The ferry company has also confirmed an increase in deposit bookings for TT 2019
Chief Executive Mark Woodward said: ‘Comparing the first 17 days from when bookings for the 2019 TT opened last month to the same period last year there has been an eight per cent increase in TT deposit bookings with a 14 per cent increase in passengers.’
He added: ‘These figures are not only highly encouraging but are also evidence of the TT’s continued attraction for motorcycling race fans.
‘Demand to travel to the event remains extremely high and we are already looking ahead to the Isle of Man Steam Packet Company Southern 100 International Road Races in July and the Isle of Man Festival of Motorcycling in August. We look forward to welcoming many more motorcycling enthusiasts to the Island in 2018.’

kilbil
(This post was last modified: 28-06-2018, 06:47 PM by kilbil.)
28-06-2018, 06:45 PM
Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

Someone is telling porkys. They need to decide which it is.
https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-m...from-2017/

The number of motorcycles coming to the Isle of Man for the TT period has dropped from last year.

Figures released by the Isle of Man Steam Packet Company state that 13,236 bikes came between May 23 and June 8, compared to a figure of more than 14,000 in the 2017 festival.

The stats do however indicate that total visitor arrivals during the whole month of May are on the up, with just under 24,000 heading to Manx shores from Heysham and Liverpool this year.

The company says that's a seven per cent increase from the 2017 figure.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse
28-06-2018, 09:44 PM
Find Reply
kilbil Offline

Threads: 13
The steam packet seem to have adopted an even more accommadateing timetable to shoehorn their passengers in.

kilbil
(This post was last modified: 29-06-2018, 08:00 AM by Malcolm.)
28-06-2018, 10:26 PM
Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

Still less bikes and passengers this year for the TT fortnight than last year.

28-06-2018, 10:28 PM
Find Reply
AntG Offline

Still very healthy numbers though
29-06-2018, 09:41 AM
Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

Thats the point, they are not healthy numbers by a long way given the investment put in.
they want to see year of year growth.
A nearly 6% drop in bike attendance is a HUGE amount.

(This post was last modified: 29-06-2018, 06:14 PM by Malcolm.)
29-06-2018, 01:09 PM
Find Reply
AntG Offline

That's an unrealistic expectation though, you can't realistically expect more people to go over every year and you will get years where you'll get a drop in visitors.

Regarding the bike attendance I know of several people over the last couple of years who load 2 or 3 bikes in the back of a Transit and go over paying for the vans place on the boat rather than paying for 3 bikes.
29-06-2018, 01:53 PM
Find Reply
SILJA Offline

Threads: 38
And 2019 it's the 100th TT through the years (I've heard from several sources). Maybe that fact can increase the figures for the numberof visitors 2019?

Anyone heard about the economy 2018?
Don't be that optimistic! The light in the tunnel can be a train. Sad
(This post was last modified: 29-06-2018, 03:13 PM by SILJA.)
29-06-2018, 03:11 PM
Website Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

It might be unrealistic, but it is what the DED ( or whatever they are calling themselves today) have told everyone ( including the whole Vision 9 fiasco) what they are doing.
The roads were definitely quieter of bikes this year than previous years, so regardless of if they came over in a van or not.
I came over on the Friday AM boat from Liverpool. There were a lot more cars, and a a lot less bikes on board. The car deck had a whole area empty where four rows of bikes normally go.
This year I watched from the west side of the circuit, from Conker fields back to Gorselea. I always traveled back to Douglas anti clockwise. The normal pitch points whe the roads open, Balaugh, Kirk Michael, Glen Helen section, and Ballacraine were a breeze to get through. One the way back from the 11th, I actually pulled over as no bikes had come towards me from the the middle of the Cronk-Y Voddy, and there were none behind me. A couple of minutes later, a bike came up from Black dub direction, so I set off on my way again.
I dont think I stopped once at Glen Lough to let bikes in and out. There is always traffic there.
I did not see one Italian registered bike in the whole 8 days, although there were a some Swedish registed ones, and a couple of Polish registed Sports bikes, which I have never noticed before, and a few more Swiss ones. There was no near the amount of German or French registed bikes as in previous years, although the German ones have been in decline for a while now.
There is also not much difference in price for a Transit and three bikes. That is probably more to do with convenience than cost. I done it myself one year when I wanted to bring two bikes over, it cost me more.
Outside of the racing, I went all over the Island like I normally do. Places like the Sound, Point of Ayre, Laxey, Kirk Micheal collection, had a lot less bikes than normal parked up.

29-06-2018, 03:14 PM
Find Reply
warrior Offline

Threads: 2
Unfortunately we can't control the weather, and a lot of campers got VERY wet last year, making it a thoroughly miserable holiday for them, it could be that they went home and decided to do something different the following year.

So maybe they decided to give it a miss, but having seen what they missed on TV they will probably be back again next year!!
29-06-2018, 03:30 PM
Find Reply