SIDECAR ROAD RACING DEBUT FOR COSTELLO AT SOUTHERN 100
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
SIDECAR ROAD RACING DEBUT FOR COSTELLO AT SOUTHERN 100
[Image: mariaforS100-1.jpg]

Maria Costello MBE will make her sidecar road racing debut at the Southern 100 road races on the Isle of Man next week and ride a Supertwin Paton for Mark Coverdale.

The all-female sidecar team of Costello and new passenger, Sarah Stokoe, has made a solid start to the year and are looking forward to experiencing their first road race together at the challenging Billown circuit.

Maria explained:

“We’ve had some good short circuit outings, shaving a whole 4 seconds off our previous sidecar personal best at Donington Park. Sarah has a great approach and has been putting in the homework to learn the course. We’ve both been watching onboard footage. We’re also planning to get some laps in the car with experienced sidecar teams.

We’ve lots to learn so we are approaching the event with no expectation, other than to enjoy it and to gain experience.”

Costello will also contest the event on two wheels, as an entrant on a Mark Coverdale Paton in the supertwins class:

“The Paton has been the Supertwin of choice this season, with incredibly strong placings at the Northwest 200 and Isle of Man TT. I’m relishing this opportunity and I can’t thank Mark enough. To say I’m excited is an understatement!” added Maria.

Mark Coverdale added:

“Maria is an inspirational rider and I’m delighted she has agreed to ride one of my Patons. She was the only solo female competitor at the TT this year and despite very promising sector times, was let down and had to retire in the race. The Paton has proved itself competitive this year and we hope it will give Maria the opportunity to shine.”

Once the Southern 100 races are over, Costello and Stokoe will fly straight to Goodwood on the Thursday evening, to take up an invitation to ride the World Championship BMW powered F1 sidecar, formerly raced by Pekka Paivatinta & Kirsi Kanulainen as part of the Classic BMW line-up at the Festival of Speed. Maria will also squeeze in an appearance at Thruxton as part of the I.A.M. RoadSmart campaign.

The Southern 100 Road Races, sponsored by Steam Packet International, take place from Monday 9th July to Thursday 12th July at the Billown circuit in Castletown, Isle of Man.

For more information on the event, please visit  https://www.southern100.com/index.php/me...-100-races.

For more information about Maria Costello MBE, including upcoming events on two, three and four wheels, please visit her website at www.costelloracing.com.

[Image: mariaclogo.gif]

Image by Sid Diggins
(This post was last modified: 02-07-2018, 05:39 PM by Malcolm.)
02-07-2018, 05:36 PM
Website Find Reply