Team ILR at the Southern 100
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Team ILR at the Southern 100
[Image: teamILRlogo.jpg]

Team ILR and Joey Thompson had a solid Southern 100 over the Billown Circuit in what was a return to action for the young Yorkshire rider since the Post-TT meeting over the same course in June.

Joey opened his account at The Friendly Races with a secure second place ride on the Team ILR/Thompsons ZX-6 in the 600 class in Tuesday evening's Corlett's Trophies 600/1000cc race.

He followed this up on Wednesday evening with a fine ride in the first of the meeting's two Supertwin races.

Ivan Lintin set a fast pace from the start and won by a healthy margin from James Cowton with Joey promoted to third after Adam McLean was penalised by 10 seconds for overtaking the Team ILR/Mark Coverdale S1-R Paton under yellow flags on the sixth and final lap.

Joey's evening ended in disappointment with a retirement from the Radcliffe Butchers 600 Race but he bounced back the next day with a good ride in the S & S Motors 600cc Race where he finished sixth having just been pipped for fifth by .039s by Michael Evans.

The second Supertwins race was a cracking affair with the result in doubt right up to the chequered flag.

After a race long dice, just over half a second separated eventual winner Adam McLean, second placed James Cowton with Joey in third having set a new Supertwins lap record of 104.97mph on his last lap.

[Image: TeamILRatS100-1.jpg]
John Thompson, Jacko (team mechanic), Joey Thompson and Ian Lougher (Team ILR owner-manager).

Team ILR owner-manager Ian Lougher:

"Joey hadn’t ridden a bike for a month and it showed in practice I think, he admitted he felt a little rusty and took a couple of sessions to get up to speed.

However when the races got underway with some excellent starts he was straight on the pace and two 3rd places on Mark Coverdale’s 650 Paton plus the Supertwin lap record was no mean feat.

On his Team ILR/Thompsons ZX6 Joey had a good couple of outings but he felt the edge had gone off the engine and it lacked real pulling power, but he managed a 2nd and a 6th nonetheless.

In the last race of the meeting and the last 600 event, he was lying in a great 3rd position, but unfortunately the race was to come to a tragic end with Joey extremely lucky not to be involved in the four bike crash which claimed the life of James Cowton and left Ivan Linton critically injured.

From all at Team ILR we would like to pass on our thoughts and condolences to the families and friends of all those involved at this harrowing time."

[Image: TeamILRatS100-2.jpg]

Joey Thompson:

"To reflect on the Southern 100 week, words can’t describe the way things went.

We had a strong week on both bikes with a few mechanical issues which set us back, but as a team we worked really well and made things happen with 3 podiums and an outright Supertwin lap record.

None of this would happen if it wasn’t for my dad John Thompson, all at Team ILR, Mark Coverdale and all my personal sponsors friends and family.

I am glad to come away in one piece and enjoyed my week's racing.

My thoughts are with all James' family and my fingers are crossed for Ivan.

Thanks."

JT x

17-07-2018, 01:17 PM
Website Find Reply