Best/ cheapest Taxis
ago/mh1967 Offline

Threads: 3
Best/ cheapest Taxis
Hi all,
TT next year I'm having to go on foot so will need a Taxi from ferry terminal to Cronk aashen campsite. Who would you recommend and approximate cost.

From what I've seen, could be looking at about £25 each way.
Any advice.... apart from get a bus!
....today is the tomorrow that you worried about yesterday.
08-09-2018, 06:07 PM
Find Reply
warrior Offline

Threads: 2
RE: Best/ cheapest Taxis
Mile for mile we do have quite expensive taxi's here unfortunately, just had a quick look at the camp site location and it appears to be Kirk Michael so £25 sounds about right.

You could try ringing/emailing a couple of the private hire firms for quotes as a pre booked private hire is likely to be cheaper, but given the time of year and how busy they are its a case of supply and demand i'm afraid, so I wouldnt expect too much of a bargain.
(This post was last modified: 08-09-2018, 07:19 PM by warrior.)
08-09-2018, 07:17 PM
Find Reply
ago/mh1967 Offline

Thanks Warrior,
I guess the money I save by not being able to take the bike will more than cover the taxi cost.
08-09-2018, 07:38 PM
Find Reply
taxman Offline

Threads: 1
Taxi fares are regulated by the Government. An operator may charge less than the regulated fare but not more. premium rates apply between 12.00am and 6.00am or on Sunday and public holidays.

Taxi fares are comparable with UK large cities and its something of a myth that we have expensive taxis. Most of the time the cars are parked up at ranks as there's no business and customers tend to remember only the "going home at 2.am fare" from their last night out. The IOM fare will be slightly higher however as fuel and other running costs are more expensive here.

£25 sounds about right from KM but expect over £30 if you're in the premium bracket. Kirk Michael Taxis on 01624878787 is a small family run business but will need you to pre-book for a Douglas pick up.

I know you joked about buses but £47 would get you an unlimited travel bass from Isle of Man Bus and Rail https://www.gov.im/categories/travel-tra...o-explore/
10-09-2018, 01:14 PM
Find Reply
ago/mh1967 Offline

I'll definitely check out the buses. The problem is I arrive at 19:45 on the Wednesday of practice week. The roads will still be closed of course, so once they open i wanted to get to the campsite and set up before dark...pushing it i know.
The bus would take a fair bit longer.
Thanks for the info anyway. I'll make some phone calls closer to the time
10-09-2018, 08:53 PM
Find Reply
AntG Offline

Yeah taxi will be your best bet getting there in good time, but those bus passes are a godsend if you're out in the sticks, I stayed in Castletown one year and that pass saved me a lot of money.
13-09-2018, 05:57 PM
Find Reply
ago/mh1967 Offline

Thanks antG, the bus pass looks excellent value for getting around, so will pick one up when I arrive.
20-09-2018, 08:58 PM
Find Reply