TT numbers down, spending up
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
TT numbers down, spending up
[Image: ttpaddockgeneral.jpg]

Visitor figures published

Fewer people visited the TT this year - but those who did come spent more.

Just over 44,000 came for the world-famous road races in 2018.

This year's figure is a drop of 1.5% on the year before - but visitor numbers are 4.6% up from when numbers fell two years ago.

Visitors spent just over £37 million this year.

That amounts to about £886 per person, per trip to the Isle of Man.

The busiest day of the TT was, unsurprisingly, Mad Sunday, when 26,000 extra people were on the Island enjoying the unprecedented Manx sunshine.

You can see government's full report here.

[Image: manxradiomain.gif]
22-09-2018, 03:17 PM
Website Find Reply
Smokin Haddock Racing Offline

Threads: 8
RE: TT numbers down, spending up
Total expenditure up, but visitors down. Is this all accounted for by a change in the nature of the calculation, or is the TT really becoming more and more expensive? There do seem to be more opportunities being created to spend money. I think the IOM needs to watch this lest they price themselves out. Ot has become a very expensive family holiday for us, mainly driven by the ferry costs. Not just the ticket, but £11 for burger and chips in the cafe on board!!
22-09-2018, 03:43 PM
Find Reply
Nasher Offline

Threads: 31
Interesting report, I wonder if the slight reduction in numbers is due to do the poor weather in 2017 and whether that will be redressed in 2019 after the sunshine of 2018 - Time will tell

The increase in spend will be affected by inflation, but also a higher proportion of visitors coming from further afield (not from UK/Ireland) adding to increased travel costs. There is also an increase in accomodation spend, that may also have been as a result of those coming from afar relying on package deals. It could be people preferring not to camp due to aforementioned 2017 weather, therefore spending more on hotels/b&b/homestay that may also affect the 'on island' spend as people may eat out more if not camping

Well, enough of my theories & speculation - Roll on TT 2019
22-09-2018, 07:31 PM
Find Reply
Smokin Haddock Racing Offline

Threads: 8
Indeed. Too many variable factors for the data to actually be of any use. A 1% reduction across a limited sample size doesn't really tell us anything. Still a great event.
23-09-2018, 12:21 PM
Find Reply
H2pots Offline

Threads: 11
I added my visit up and it's nearer a grand with ferry, digs, petrol and food.... Worth every penny

=======================================================================
See you on the island
23-09-2018, 05:27 PM
Find Reply
HammerHead Offline

Threads: 23
The one stat that struck me most was this:

First time visitors: 36.5%
2 - 5 visits: 32.8%
6 or more visits: 30.7%

I was really surprised to see first timers making up such a large proportion of the visitors. Or maybe it was first timers who were motivated to respond and old hands couldn't be bothered.

"There is nothing so momentary as a sporting achievement, and nothing so lasting as the memory of it."
25-09-2018, 01:53 PM
Find Reply