Joey Thompson: Yorkshire rider retires from road racing
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Joey Thompson: Yorkshire rider retires from road racing
[Image: JoeyThompsonRetires.jpg]
Thompson secured a podium finish at the 2018 North West 200

Joey Thompson has retired from professional road racing after failing to secure a "competitive package" for the 2019 season.

The Yorkshire rider was the best newcomer at the 2017 Ulster Grand Prix.

He also secured a podium finish in the Supertwin race at the 2018 North West 200.

"It is with great regret that I have to announce that I will be calling time on my professional road racing career," Thompson said.

"After two very successful years racing on the roads and the Isle of Man TT, I cannot find myself a competitive package.

"Thanks to all my loyal fans and sponsors."

[Image: bbcsportni.jpg]
05-02-2019, 08:13 PM
Website Find Reply
AntG Offline

Threads: 3
RE: Joey Thompson: Yorkshire rider retires from road racing
It's quite sad to hear this and I'm hoping he's just being a bit emotional after not being able to secure a ride for this year, he's only a young lad(22?) so he's got time on his side to get himself competitive rides in the future as the established lads get older and decide to call it a day.
06-02-2019, 08:37 AM
Find Reply
HammerHead Offline

Threads: 23
RE: Joey Thompson: Yorkshire rider retires from road racing
Fully agree Ant.

I guess he has to be admired for not being willing to ride around knowing he can't be competitive, although even on machinery that isn't capable of winning he would still be increasing his own experience and circuit knowledge. After all two years is a long way from knowing the TT course properly.

"There is nothing so momentary as a sporting achievement, and nothing so lasting as the memory of it."
06-02-2019, 02:57 PM
Find Reply