Sponsorship
Bugslayer Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 1
Sponsorship
I'm a Brit living in the USA and a fan of the TT and real roads racing since the 60s.  In 2019 I will be attending the TT with a group of American former circuit road racing riders who admire the event and would love to fulfill a dream by actually seeing it.

I put it to this group that if they really want to be part of the event, they should try to contribute something to it.  I'll be working the two weeks as a Marshall, they don't have the time but have talked about making a financial donation to help sponsor a rider.  This would not be a gigantic amount of cash, but all they want for this is the chance to lend a hand and I'm assuming any amount would be welcome to help cover the cost of a rider participating. 

I'm aware of the Peoples Bike program which I think is great and will be considered, but can anyone suggest any other rider or team who would benefit from a donation?

When my friends were all aspiring riders early in their careers, they did a lot of living out of the back of vans and would probably enjoy helping out someone at that end of their career.  Any one got any suggestions?
26-02-2019, 09:27 PM
Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
RE: Sponsorship
Well, here is one to start you off with - Kevin AGO Murphy.

https://www.facebook.com/kevin.a.murphy....eg&fref=nf
28-02-2019, 07:34 PM
Website Find Reply
Bugslayer Offline
Just Getting Started

(28-02-2019, 07:34 PM)Malcolm Wrote: Well, here is one to start you off with - Kevin AGO Murphy.

https://www.facebook.com/kevin.a.murphy....eg&fref=nf

Thanks Malcolm,

He's on the list. 

If any one else has any ideas, please let me know.
01-03-2019, 11:38 PM
Find Reply
Dangler Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 0
How about Phil Crowe
14-03-2019, 02:05 PM
Find Reply
BrianW Offline

Could I suggest Cowton Racing, they are running Dom Herbertson on a supertwin in honour of James. see their FB page.
14-03-2019, 03:06 PM
Find Reply
Dangler Offline
Just Getting Started

Yes good cause Cowton Racing
14-03-2019, 04:33 PM
Find Reply
scaramanga Offline

Threads: 25
if its a large amount of cash how about splitting it between some of the genuine privateers who have no chance of winning but still s0pend upwards of £10000 doing the tt
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

proud to own and ride a british motorcycle  triumph daytona 675 Hehe
(This post was last modified: 14-03-2019, 07:14 PM by scaramanga.)
14-03-2019, 07:13 PM
Find Reply
Bugslayer Offline
Just Getting Started

(14-03-2019, 02:05 PM)Dangler Wrote: How about Phil Crowe

Thanks Dangler:
I really like Phil as a rider and earlier in his career he might have made a good choice.  As it stands now however, Phil has a motorcycle business, multiple sponsors and a five rider team.  He's a great rider and I don't think we've seen the best of him yet, but his career is well on its way now and the next phase would be even bigger sponsors.  I think we would be too small for him.

What I had in mind is someone at the beginning of their career and/or someone who may have some barrier to participating.  This could include a woman for instance because its generally a male sport, and getting a helping hand could be a bit tougher for them.

This is the first year of doing this and I'm not sure how it will go, but the group have all known what it was like to be a young racer and eat baked beans out of a tin for dinner in the back of a van.  They would have appreciated a little bit of help back then and may be willing to chip on a bit of cash now.  If they have fun doing this, we may be able to get more money if future years but right now I'm guessing the donation for 2019 would be hundreds of pounds not thousands, and that might not be worth the paper work for a bigger team.

The core group of 8 guys are all coming to TT 2019 and at our last track club riders meeting, one of them told the group of about 20 riders that we were thinking about donating a modest amount of cash to a rider, and some of the others seemed pretty enthusiastic about it too.  With some hard work and a bit of luck, we might be able to make this grow in future years but we need to get it off the ground now in a small way.

Please keep the ideas coming and tell me if you think I'm wrong about who would accept such a small donation.
14-03-2019, 08:00 PM
Find Reply
Bugslayer Offline
Just Getting Started

Rolleyes  RE: Sponsorship
(14-03-2019, 03:06 PM)BrianW Wrote: Could I suggest Cowton Racing, they are running Dom Herbertson on a supertwin in honour of James. see their FB page.

One problem I have is that not really having made it all the way into the Twenty First century, I haven't got a Facebook account and I couldn't find a contact for Cowton Racing outside of this.  I'm just going to have to capitulate and get one I suppose Smile

Dom is another racer who is deservedly picking up sponsors now and the modest amount we would be able to donate in this first trial year might be below his radar but I'd contact Cowton Racing if I knew how.

Thanks for the suggestion.
14-03-2019, 08:12 PM
Find Reply
Bugslayer Offline
Just Getting Started

(14-03-2019, 07:13 PM)scaramanga Wrote: if its a large amount of cash how about splitting it between some of the genuine privateers who have no chance of winning but still s0pend upwards of £10000 doing the tt

Thanks Scaramanga,

Its not a large amount of cash right now (see my other posts) and it's the "genuine privateers" we are trying to identify and reach.  Got any suggestions and contacts?
14-03-2019, 08:42 PM
Find Reply
Moderator2 Offline

How about having a look at some of the Manx Grand Prix lads who are moving up to the TT, they would certainly appreciate any help they can find.

There was a group based over here for many years, they went by the name of SMGP which I think was their initials, they might still be involved, but anyway I know they helped a mate of mine a few times, they were just a group of ordinary working lads who all put a few pounds away each week throughout the year and then counted it up and chose a local lad to give it to at each Manx Grand Prix, it was always hugely appreciated by the recipients.
14-03-2019, 10:06 PM
Find Reply
Bugslayer Offline
Just Getting Started

(14-03-2019, 10:06 PM)Moderator2 Wrote: How about having a look at some of the Manx Grand Prix lads who are moving up to the TT, they would certainly appreciate any help they can find.

There was a group based over here for many years, they went by the name of SMGP which I think was their initials, they might still be involved, but anyway I know they helped a mate of mine a few times, they were just a group of ordinary working lads who all put a few pounds away each week throughout the year and then counted it up and chose a local lad to give it to at each Manx Grand Prix, it was always hugely appreciated by the recipients.

This is a good suggestion, the problem is locating them. 

We are based in the USA so don't have the normal contacts you might have through a UK or Irish club, or actually being at a road racing event.  I've done some web searches for SMGP for instance and the only motorcycle related contact I can find is connected with SuperMoto and probably not the people you were referring to.  

One question is why not just donate to a fund like the Peoples Bike?  I'll do this myself if all else fails, but I'm pretty sure we would get a better response from US donators at the club if it was a bit more personal.............human psychology is odd that way Smile
14-03-2019, 11:45 PM
Find Reply
Moderator2 Offline

If you drop an email to Ann Kinvig at the Manx Grand Prix office ann@mgp.co.im she will know who is moving up to the TT from the MGP this year, and will also have contact details for them, she will also probably know who has a sponsored ride and who is still self funded.
15-03-2019, 08:36 AM
Find Reply
Bugslayer Offline
Just Getting Started

(15-03-2019, 08:36 AM)Moderator2 Wrote: If you drop an email to Ann Kinvig at the Manx Grand Prix office ann@mgp.co.im she will know who is moving up to the TT from the MGP this year, and will also have contact details for them, she will also probably know who has a sponsored ride and who is still self funded.

Many thanks for the idea.  I'll do that and let you know how we get on.
Allan
23-03-2019, 10:48 PM
Find Reply