Mike Hailwood - 38 years ago
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Mike Hailwood - 38 years ago
[Image: HailwoodRIP.jpg]

Stanley Michael Bailey Hailwood, MBE, GM (2 April 1940 – 23 March 1981)

Mike was a British Grand Prix motorcycle road racer, regarded by many as one of the greatest racers of all time. He was known as "Mike The Bike" because of his natural riding ability on bikes with a range of engine capacities.

Mike was one of the few men to compete at Grand Prix level in both motorcycle and car racing.

Sadly, Mike died following a road traffic accident in Warwickshire, England.

His daughter Michelle was killed instantly in the crash and his son David survived it.

The crash happened on the 21st of March 1981.
23-03-2019, 03:47 PM
Website Find Reply
Rednine Offline

Threads: 5
RE: Mike Hailwood - 38 years ago
An avoidable careless accident in which Mike and his children were complete innocent parties.

Smoke me a kipper...........................I'll be back for breakfast Icon_wink
(This post was last modified: 23-03-2019, 09:28 PM by Rednine.)
23-03-2019, 09:22 PM
Find Reply
Owl Man Offline

Threads: 1
RE: Mike Hailwood - 38 years ago
(23-03-2019, 09:22 PM)Rednine Wrote: An avoidable careless accident in which Mike and his children were complete innocent parties.

What a terrible waste, will never forget my shock and disbelief on that day. He was my hero then and remains so to this day. The talk these days of BSB riders and 'Road Racers' blares when you consider after all those years away from the sport he came back to win a TT then days later had an epic win at the Post TT meeting at Malory Park and it wasn't the best bike out there (due respect to Sports M/Cycles). What a great ambassador for the sport he was and as he had just been UK captain for the Transatlantic team that year who knows what else he could have given to the sport.
23-03-2019, 10:07 PM
Find Reply