The Late, Great Simon Beck 20 years
Rorymac Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 1
The Late, Great Simon Beck 20 years
http://www.simonevans.co.uk/bikes/beck.jpg

20 years ago today since 'The Late, Great Simon Beck' sadly lost his life at the 33rd Milestone on the IOM TT course.
Having secured his 'Factory Honda' ride due to his 'tremendous' (Simon liked this word!) success on our privateer machinery, finishing 3rd in the 1995 Formula 1 race on his first time around the TT course on our Peachurst Ducati 926 Corsa and splitting the Factory Honda team in half, he went on to joint lead the Senior TT along with the legendary Joey Dunlop at the end of the week, before a slipping clutch saw him slide backwards through the field to finish a respectable 9th.
A fact that not many will know is that Simon was 'The Fastest Rider Ever' around the TT course on the works RC 45 when he sadly died.
It is not recorded as such, as Simon unfortunately never finished the lap, however he was well inside the outright lap record, 'point to point' And according to several other top riders out on the circuit at the same time, Simon was "Flying"!
So sad you didn't make it Big Man and it is with a tear in my eye that I write "Hope you're winning up there Champ"
RIP Simon x
And RIP Stan x
01-06-2019, 12:01 AM
Find Reply
billybookcase Offline

Threads: 13
RE: The Late, Great Simon Beck 20 years
I put him in the helicopter.
A sad day indeed.
RIP
Nil Satis Nisi Optimum
01-06-2019, 03:44 PM
Find Reply
Sam Pato Offline

Threads: 24
RE: The Late, Great Simon Beck 20 years
Simon Beck was always one of my favorites (mainly because - like me - he was a better size for rugby than racing). I ended up meeting him at the Cadwell race school and he was brilliant - really encouraging and genuine.

I remember lots of his races including him being joint leader on the Duc in the Senor that time - oil seal causing clutch slip or something from memory. My favorite was the one where he rode the MCN(?) CBR600 with the passenger footpegs and everything on it and still knocked out a 114mph lap in the days when 120 on a 600 was exceptional - just showed how much talent he had.

I was gutted when I heard of his accident. Still am to be honest. I can remember those pictures of him looking the real deal in the factory Honda leathers and thinking that he was going to a real chance for a big bike win.

Good to know he's not forgotten.

RIP Simon
Warning Level 0% since 2006
03-06-2019, 01:06 PM
Find Reply