'Big H' is the star of the night at Team Roundhay Hogg Night
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
'Big H' is the star of the night at Team Roundhay Hogg Night
[Image: BigHINterview.jpg]
Paul Hunt had fellow riders Conor Cummins and John McGuinness in tucks as he regaled some of his road racing
escapades from the past in what was an enjoyable evening, ably compered by Chris Kinley (left) JW200229(2433)

An excellent evening at the Manx Legion Club, Douglas on Saturday raised more than £5,000 for the Hogg Motorsport Association.

It began with an interesting insight into the vital work of the rescue helicopter team and the excellent support provided by medical services such as the Hogg unit, supported by the Rob Vine Fund.

This was presented by Dr Gareth Davies, the Manx-born consultant in emergency medicine and pre-hospital emergency medicine, perhaps best known as the lead doctor of the flight crew for the London Air Ambulance in the BBC documentary TV series.

He has worked on the TT and Manx Grand Prix for many years. The swift actions and expertise of Gareth and the team around him has saved many lives over the years.

There was a chilling sequence of images featuring a huge crash involving Ray Maloney at Ballaugh Bridge in last year’s Manx.

Amongst many life-threatening injuries, the Ulsterman suffered what Dr Davies described as an internal decapitation involving the ligamentous separation of the spinal column from the skull base.

Only 30 percent of cases do not result in immediate death.

Images showed medics and marshals working on the rider at the scene, followed by his transfer to Noble’s Hospital in an amazing seven minutes.

The Ulsterman was in an induced coma for more than one month and could initially only make small movements on his left side. He was unable to speak.

In recent months Ray has made a miraculous recovery and his release from hospital in Belfast is expected quite shortly.

TT, Classic TT and MGP clerk of the course Gary Thompson - who was in the island for one of the regular TT preparation meetings - gave a brief description of the work and procedures carried out by the team in race control at the Grandstand during practice and race periods.

Ramsey ace Conor Cummins, who has experienced first-hand the fantastic work of Airmed and other emergency teams on the Mountain Course, said that so much of what went on behind the scenes was taken for granted.

’We couldn’t race without the fantastic efforts of marshals, medics and others. I’d like to give a collective appreciation from myself for a huge team effort.’

John McGuinness agreed with his former Honda team-mate and friend:

’I’ve always been aware of the vital role the marshals play, but tonight I’ve learnt what the medics do, and it is truly amazing. If there’s anything I can do for the charity I’m happy to do it.’

He had driven 300 miles that morning from another event at Bournemouth Kawasaki, but had to change plans as the boat was cancelled. He eventually arrived in the island at 7pm via plane.

The 23-time TT winner’s comments, those of the island’s top rider of the modern era, the TT’s clerk of the course and the lead member of the Airmed team were all eclipsed by one final guest.

A pin could have been heard when Paul Hunt was being interviewed.

The now 58-year-old, who suffered life-changing injuries when he crashed off the Mountain Road following a curtailed practice session in 2014, was the star of the night.

Interviewed by Chris Kinley, ’Big H’ outlined his own heartfelt appreciation of what the Airmed crew did for him.

Having lost control of his travelling marshal’s R1 Yamaha en route back to Douglas from Ramsey on closed roads following the cancellation of what was the opening practice session for that year’s TT, he said that he had been left dangling in the road-side fence between Windy Corner and the 33rd Milestone.

The marshals had been stood down as the session had been called off, but someone had fortunately heard the sound of a bike in the vicinity and the Airmed helicopter crew managed to spot his bike and ’H’ on their way back to the Grandstand.

’Heike, one of the medics, was first to get to me and asked what symptoms I had?

’I answered that I could not feel my legs or the arm I had trapped in the fence. I then added that I was struggling to breathe.

’Don’t you think you should have mentioned that first?’
she asked.

The former fire officer said that this was his fifth flight in the emergency helicopter at the TT.

He gave one amusing account of when he was being airlifted to Noble’s after the suspension collapsed on a factory Gilera single at the bottom of Barregarrow.

’They found that I was too long to fit on the stretcher in the helicopter and they couldn’t close the door, so I sat in the front alongside the pilot and the medic lay on the stretcher behind,’ smiled H.

He fondly remembered his friend and former rival Phil Hogg, after whom the rescue unit was named and thousands of pounds was raised by his family and friends in the 30 years following his death up until and including last year.

’Phil was an amazing rider, and I believe he would have been one of the best. I would not have won the Senior MGP in 1988 had Phil finished it. He would have lapped me!’

[Image: iomtodaylogo.jpg]
08-03-2020, 01:33 PM
Website Find Reply
Revvin rich Offline

Threads: 70
RE: 'Big H' is the star of the night at Team Roundhay Hogg Night
yes a big Thank you to all who make the TT what it is today and its nice to see Big H getting out and about may it continue for many years to come much appreciated. Revvin Rich
10-03-2020, 04:13 PM
Find Reply