Camping outside of tt fortnight
Chrisp955 Offline

Threads: 21
Camping outside of tt fortnight
For a bit of a change me the Mrs and the dog are taking our t5 camper over to the IOM for 5 days over the Easter weekend. Iv never been on the IOM out side of tt fortnight. And for the last 14 years iv been in home stay in Duglas.
I woundering if any of the forum members can recommend any nice campsites or better still wild camping places. I'm hoping to have a night at the point of Ayre. Is it possible to park up in Peel overnight. Or in Darby Haven near the old hotel? There will be 3 vans in all and 3 fairly well behaved dogs. So bit of space to run them would be handy.
Any suggestions would be welcome
12-03-2020, 11:08 AM
Find Reply
HammerHead Offline

Threads: 23
RE: Camping outside of tt fortnight
Like you I've only been over during the TT. We have always camped at Peel. There is water and electric hook up and the showers have been extended (in the gents anyway) with the old 4 showers now being supplemented by about 6-8 more out the back. They also have a TV room. There are 4 indoor sinks for washing up and there is an electricity socket in the wash room where people charge their phones. There is WIFI on site but you do sometimes have to be quite close to the building. The field is pretty big so I think you could let the dogs loose depending on the number of other campers.

The small car park at Fenella Beach next to the castle I think says no overnight parking, but I'm pretty sure vans have been there overnight. You could take the dogs up Peel Hill and along the coastal path from there. There is parking at the far end of the prom too but I don't know what they might think about camping there.

"There is nothing so momentary as a sporting achievement, and nothing so lasting as the memory of it."
12-03-2020, 03:06 PM
Find Reply
SeaCol Offline

Threads: 28
I have parked overnight at the end of Peel prom with no problem, also at the big car park at  Cregneash and Douglas Prom but these were always during bike racing periods where a blind eye may have been turned.
Not sure if parking at Mooragh Park sea front is still allowed.
12-03-2020, 04:04 PM
Find Reply
Nasher Offline

Threads: 31
The car park at Fenellla Beach has height barriers installed to stop campervan/motorhomes staying there for weeks on end, so that others can park their cars in the car park & enjoy the beach & Peel hill (as a motorhomer myself, I feel it was the correct thing to do)

Peel campsite is excellent, I know there are changes being made to it, which might mean the TV room has gone, but I spend at least 4 weeks there every year because it's one of the few campsites that has facilities (cafe, supermarket, etc) close by. (some of the temporary TT sites do offer that as well)

I'm sure you won't let your dogs run all over the campsite & that you keep them on a lead!!
12-03-2020, 06:12 PM
Find Reply
Chrisp955 Offline

Thanks for the advice. The dogs will be on the lead unless we are in a safe area to let them have a run.
I'm just keeping my fingers crossed we will be still allowed to visit. These are very strange times.
16-03-2020, 11:21 AM
Find Reply
taxman Offline

Threads: 1
16-03-2020, 06:20 PM
Find Reply
captainsparkledotcom Offline

Threads: 393
After the announcement 20 minutes ago, it won't be in the near future!
we wanted to nip across to see our friends before TT this year too!
16-03-2020, 06:24 PM
Website Find Reply
Chrisp955 Offline

Yep no chance of our little trip across now. Looks like I will have to find somewhere else to go at Easter.
16-03-2020, 08:10 PM
Find Reply