Best TT Memories.
c iom tt Offline

Threads: 16
RE: Best TT Memories.
I think it was 1998, sitting on the grass bank at the Gooseneck under a massive plastic sheet infront of the marshals shelter waiting for the race to start with my mate Justin as it was battering down with rain. We start messing about like a couple of school kids,first tickling the back of his neck with a piece of grass, which soon degenerated into full on pushing and shoving/ wrestling all whilst still under the plastic sheet. Just then the radio announces that the rain had stopped enough for the race to start, so we start to compose ourselves. Next minute these is this almighty rumble, and we find ourselves lying in the road together, covered in mud with about two tons of soil as the bank had collapsed. The Marshals were not happy, as the whole lot had to be shoveled away. The rest of the crowd were even less happy when the radio announced a further 15min delay due to a none related race incident at the Gooseneck.
You cant sit there any more, now you know why...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse
14-05-2020, 10:22 AM
Find Reply
Yamaham Offline

Threads: 4
I hope you mucked in with the shovelling c iom tt? Icon_lol I'm a bit paranoid when next to the track that I'll do something stupid that causes a delay, or worse. The misuss reckons I've got O.C.D as I constantly make sure nothing of ours blows onto, or gets knocked over onto the track. Will be sure to tell her your story though. I bet you were popular with the marshalls and other fans that day! Doesn't sound like there was much harm done though, always good when you can look back and laugh!
14-05-2020, 10:52 AM
Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

(14-05-2020, 10:52 AM)Yamaham Wrote: I hope you mucked in with the shovelling c iom tt? Icon_lol I'm a bit paranoid when next to the track that I'll do something stupid that causes a delay, or worse. The misuss reckons I've got O.C.D as I constantly make sure nothing of ours blows onto, or gets knocked over onto the track. Will be sure to tell her your story though. I bet you were popular with the marshalls and other fans that day! Doesn't sound like there was much harm done though, always good when you can look back and laugh!

We were mortified!
 Marshals would not let us onto the road to help, and they did not have enough shovels. I thought one marshal who was a bit on the round size was going to have a heart attack the speed he was shoveling, and how red his face was. I genuinely thought we were going to get arrested, my mate who is local was panicking, he thought he was going to get the sack from work because of it as he was a Fireman. 
Funny to look back on, but not at the time.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse
(This post was last modified: 14-05-2020, 04:46 PM by c iom tt.)
14-05-2020, 04:44 PM
Find Reply
laverda77 Offline

Threads: 9
Great stories ive enjoyed them all. Friday 22nd May 2020 and sailings cancelled to the island cancelled due to bad weather,but as you all know ,you can get sleet,hailstones,or sunstroke at the TT.We were due to go for 5 days on Monday staying in a hotel,this was the wifes non bike break and i had a TT week camping trip lined up too,all gone. Over the years ive taken all sorts of machines,Matchless,Bonnevilles,Jota,Honda 4s,Mz 250. But In 1992 my brother in law,a non biker but petrolhead,suggested we take pushbikes with full camping gear,him on some racer bike and me on a el cheapo 20" wheel foldy up thing,never again.One race day we got lost on the back roads nr St Johns/Peel and i was keen to get to the course,we came out at what was Ballig bridge,crossed the road and got behind the wall,the jaw dropping bit was watching Phil McCallen ripping a big bit of ivy off a wall with his shoulder as he came .He was trying that hard.Looking forward to Manx radios broadcasts of old races coming up,in the garden witha few tins of Marstons Hobgoblin gold beer,its not Okells but closest i can find.
22-05-2020, 05:26 PM
Find Reply
Moderator2 Offline

Threads: 0
Depending on where you live, Heron and Brearley (Okells) have a couple of UK pub chains which might be doing off licence sales, they own Market Town Taverns with many pubs in the Yorkshire area, and also have a couple of pubs in Liverpool and one in Chester.

Have a look on H&B's website and if you are close by any of their pubs it would be worth giving them a call to see if they can sell you a case.
22-05-2020, 07:33 PM
Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

Hailstone!! Who mentioned hailstone.
Cant remember the year now, but it wasnt that far back. I decided to watch from Joeys on the Mountain. I parked in the Gooseneck carpark, and walked up over the fields. The sun was shinning, breezy but with clear blue skys. I found my spot, no one else about, and started setting up for the day. After about half an hour, the wind got up, and the temperature started to drop, then the clouds rolled in, and it got a bit darker. !0 min later, there is a few spots of rain, and an announcement over the radio for a 1 hour delay due to incoming weather.The few spots of rain soon turned into a deluge, with me scrambling around trying to pack up and get my waterproofs on at the same time. Finally sorted and with the wind getting stronger, I decided to sit it out where I was. After a very brief stop, the rain got heavier, the wind stronger, and it was getting colder. Then the hailstones came. Bouncing off my helmet, and stinging my body, the road turns white. At this point, I thought, 'sod this for a lark' and decided to bug out. By the time I had got back to my bike, I was soaked ( you need to put waterproofs on before it gets wet). Freezing cold, I rode back towards Douglas via the back road. As I got nearer Douglas, the weather cleared, the road were dry, and I started to warm up, so headed to Braddan Church. When I got there, it was red hot, I walked to a bench still wet through with people looking at me like I had come from another planet. It had been hot and dry there all the time, and there is me squelching and still dripping as I took my seat. The people next to me could not believe how bad the weather had been on the Mountain.
Only on the Isle Of Man.

24-05-2020, 10:33 AM
Find Reply
laverda77 Offline

Threads: 9
Thanks for the info re Okells,im on Scotlands east coast,so too far,but due to visit Chester soon, and will check that pub out...Hailstones,yes it happens,i was at Quarterbridge circa 2007/ 2010 and it was sleet.and ive heard sleet at the Ramsey hairpin commentary before too .A year ago this week ,i was at Peel camp site and it was 4 deg. 1981 it rained almost night and day for a fortnight,then in other years severe sunburn has been a problem.
05-06-2020, 10:11 PM
Find Reply
Moderator2 Offline

Threads: 0
(05-06-2020, 10:11 PM)laverda77 Wrote: Thanks for the info re Okells,im on Scotlands east coast,so too far,but due to visit Chester soon, and will check that pub out...Hailstones,yes it happens,i was at Quarterbridge circa 2007/ 2010 and it was sleet.and ive heard sleet at the Ramsey hairpin commentary before too .A year ago this week ,i was at Peel camp site and it was 4 deg. 1981 it rained almost night and day for a fortnight,then  in other years severe sunburn has been a problem.

Bear & Billet
94 Lower Bridge Street,
Chester,
CH1 1RU
06-06-2020, 01:49 PM
Find Reply