Koalas 1984 TT retrospective
Manxman78 Offline

Threads: 27
RE: Koalas 1984 TT retrospective
Hi koala27 I am glad that you got the information you required for all your pictures from the above mentioned forum members,I really enjoyed looking at them all in these strange times.

Hopefully you will return to the Isle of Man TT in the coming years or even as soon as next year??.

Best wishes.
10-06-2020, 05:44 PM
Find Reply
bsa499 Offline

Threads: 48
This has been a really interesting thread. Many thanks Koala.
11-06-2020, 10:16 AM
Find Reply
Keith Pursglove Offline

Threads: 1
Many thanks Koalas, brought back a load of memories and got me thinking that I should dig out all my old slides from TT's through the '60s.
You may imagine my disgust when I opened the boxes they were stored in ro find they were all ruined by damp when furniture was put in store a few years ago during in our last house move.
Real classics with the MV, Honda, Yamaha, MZ, and Norton works bikes going back into the late '50s.

One of my favourites was taken in the paddock early one morning which was of Mike Hailwood getting out of a Mercedes drop top, a long camel duffle coat over his leathers. As he walked by us he gave a very bleary eyed smile and a nod.
Watched him swing a leg over the 350 MV for a lap at just over 100mph, and then another lap on the 500, also at over 100 and on his way back to his car we caught another bleary eyed smile and "It's bloody cold out there!".

I'm gutted.
If at first you don't succeed, avoid skydiving.
21-06-2020, 07:51 PM
Find Reply
clivem Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 1
(20-05-2020, 06:02 PM)koala27 Wrote: It's funny how my memory works, some things have faded and others are crystal clear. I have a very clear memory of the journey up north. Driving rain, bad visibility, untrustworthy brakes and the need to keep up with the rest of the group. One of the longest and most harrowing rides I ever made - clearly I'm a soft fair weather biker.

To my great surprise I/we made it intact. The journey to the docks through Liverpool was not a glorious one. A grey soggy journey through the back streets ended when we joined the queue of bikers in some run down sheds. I'm assuming that the queue for the ferry is a bit more upmarket now? At the time it seemed pretty grotty.

As an indication how much it had been raining, the camera lens was still soggy for the first shot:

[Image: 1984-Liverpool-docks-queuing-for-Isle-of...ry-pic.jpg]

The others are a bit clearer:

[Image: 1984-Liverpool-docks-Bikes-queuing-for-I...erry-6.jpg]

[Image: 1984-Liverpool-docks-Bikes-queuing-for-I...erry-4.jpg]

[Image: 1984-Liverpool-docks-Bikes-queuing-for-I...erry-5.jpg]

[Image: 1984-Liverpool-docks-Bikes-queuing-for-I...erry-1.jpg]

[Image: 1984-Liverpool-docks-Bikes-queuing-for-I...erry-2.jpg]

[Image: 1984-Liverpool-docks-Bikes-queuing-for-I...erry-3.jpg]

[Image: 1984-Liverpool-docks-Bikes-queuing-for-I...erry-7.jpg]

Just to add that the old shed used to be the station where trains from London Euston etc, brought the liner passengers down to the docks, ready for boarding to the US and far flung places.  The tunnel is at Edge Hill station and is still in situ.  When the station finally closed circa '72 (a troop train was one of the last to use the station) it fell into disuse.  Amazing no-one used to get panes of glass crashing down on them!
(This post was last modified: 25-09-2020, 03:39 PM by clivem.)
25-09-2020, 03:38 PM
Find Reply
koala27 Offline

Threads: 3
Hi there one and all

I hope you've all had a good summer and have kept safe in the last few months.

I thought I'd post an amusing update to my 1984 TT thread. My original reasons for posting these pictures was the need to identify bikes & riders, since I could not find a copy of the 1984 race programme. The picture scanning was all part of my lockdown/retirement tidyup and clearup.

Well I got a bit further in my tidying and look what I found:
[Image: 1984-TT-programme-and-souvenir-guide.jpg]
1984 TT race and souvenir guides - which of course have all the riders & bikes listed in them!

However I'm glad I ddn't find these until later - you guys did a stirling job ID'ing everything for me.

To finish this thread and leave a couple more memories, here's a pic of the back of the raceguide, which is very much of its time:
[Image: 1984-TT-programme-adverts.jpg]

Stay safe everyone and have a great Christmas and New Year. Here's to a virus free and TT filled 2021!

Koala
14-11-2020, 05:16 PM
Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Offline
Administrator

Threads: 13
Oh my days and nights, I grew up going to The Lido most weekends but - THE TT LIDO was a different level and as has been previously mentioned before by many others was a den of raucous iniquity enjoyed by all involved - boys and girls :o) .... thanks K27 for the reminder
14-11-2020, 09:27 PM
Find Reply