Not happy...
sticky Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 39
Not happy...
If things were going normally I would have just finished packing and preparing to hit the sack early, ready for a 4:30am alarm.  An hour later I would have been on the road to Liverpool.  Nice drive up the A-roads and stop for brekky at the Mid West Truckstop at Whitchurch.  Lesiurely trundle up the A41 which deposits you nicely at the Mersey Tunnel.

I'm struggling with not going.  Silly question but is anyone else feeling as down about it?   Icon_sad
28-05-2020, 09:06 PM
Website Find Reply
boon345 Offline

Threads: 15
RE: Not happy...
yes should have been there at 6 yesterday morning
28-05-2020, 09:18 PM
Find Reply
Nasher Offline

Threads: 30
Big Grin  RE: Not happy...
I would have been heading out this evening for my 02:00 Heysham sailing

But I'm not struggling with not going - the cancellation announcement was made 10 weeks ago, I accepted the decision and moved on

For me, Life's way too short to feel down about things

Look on the bright side, it's only 365 days to go before the TT 🙂

I would also add, that as I live in Wales, we are still in full lockdown & I still keep smiling
(This post was last modified: 29-05-2020, 08:04 AM by Nasher.)
29-05-2020, 08:03 AM
Find Reply
AntG Offline

Threads: 3
Not down about it as much as I thought I'd be, I think it helps that everybody else's year has been ruined so we're all in the same situation. In fact if anything lockdown has been a positive for me, I've only been leaving the house for essentials and exercise and that coupled with the lack of regular junk food and pub visits I feel healthier than I have in a long time.
29-05-2020, 09:16 AM
Find Reply
Manxman78 Offline

Threads: 27
I live on the island and do homestay and all my visitors have been rolled over to TT 2021 and all are looking ahead to next year as we are all in this together, best thing to do is keep positive and look ahead to TT 2021!.

It is a little bit upsetting to think this Sunday would have been the first of the practices, but it will all be back again next year.

Stay safe everyone, and happy TT 2021!.
29-05-2020, 09:44 AM
Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Offline
Administrator

Threads: 13
Yeah, seriously missing it all and the bikes / fans / THE BUZZ(as my lovely Dad always called it), got my flight reminder the other day and was supposed to be travelling tomorrow - my IoM bikes live there at sister's house. The MGP/TT and road racing in general has been a huge part of my life since my early childhood, I just hope none of the current situation effects next years events - travel, insurance, distancing etc ... hope all members / Malcolm etc safe ... keep up the chit-chat etc.
29-05-2020, 09:46 AM
Find Reply
SILJA Offline

Threads: 38
And we should start our chartered flight directly from Sweden on Thursday. I was planning to celebrate 50 years since my first visit 1970. I have to wait some more. No one knows at the moment for how long. Sorry...
Don't be that optimistic! The light in the tunnel can be a train. Sad
(This post was last modified: 29-05-2020, 10:06 AM by SILJA.)
29-05-2020, 10:06 AM
Website Find Reply
bsa499 Offline

Threads: 48
Our main 2020 road race events were to be the Southern 100 and the Classic TT_MGP. As both are now cancelled it's left a big void to fill. I was also planning to get my 499 cc BSA B50's out for some short circuit events, these have also been cancelled so it seems we won't be doing that either. I am disappointed, but not dismayed. My loved ones are all fit and well, the weather's been fantastic, I've been out walking early every morning since lockdown (12 miles and over 23,000 steps this morning) so it's not all bad. Mmmmm, I wonder if the End to End Walk will take place on the Island this year? That's 40 miles in a maximum of 10 hours and (according to my maths) around 77,000 steps. I'm not sure that's something to look forward to, but it's something to think about errrrrr I think!
29-05-2020, 10:52 AM
Find Reply
Smokin Haddock Racing Offline

Threads: 8
Curiously not that much. Made a decision not to not come this year because my Daughter was supposed to be doing her A levels right now. She is TT mad, and marshalled for the first time last year. Disappearing to the island in the middle of her exams would not have been fair. We did both have a twinge of sadness yesterday though. A Facebook photo memory from a year ago popped up. The pair of us in the queue of bikes waiting to board the ferry. On the plus side JM130 has sent her a signed t-shirt for her eighteenth this Sunday. A lovely gesture which she will be thrilled with.
29-05-2020, 03:12 PM
Find Reply
Revvin rich Offline

Threads: 70
Well lm missing badly it's the highlight of the year for me and the misses I was looking forward to seeing our lovely home stay lady Dorothy and her fabulous breakfasts and seeing some of our friends and of course the racing but we're all in the same boat and it's for the best, keep safe everyone there's always next year 😊
29-05-2020, 08:11 PM
Find Reply
sticky Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 39
Not an easy day today. Hopefully I'll get used to it... I suppose tomorrow I can tell myself there's less than a year to go. I could have done without waking up at 4:30 this morning but after all the years I've been going my body is sort of pre-programmed to do it. It's not just the racing of course. Like Rich says, it's not seeing friends that you only get to see once or twice a year - and I'm missing my new all time favourite curry house, the Royal India in Peel. I wonder if they do carry outs to the West Country....?
29-05-2020, 08:34 PM
Website Find Reply
Chrisp955 Offline

Threads: 21
I'm with Sticky and Rich. Missing it like mad. No Bride cream tea no kipper bap on Peel Harbour eating my chippy tea on the bench outside the Rosmont. Just the simple things.  Then there the rush in the morning to grab some food and drinks and ride to your speck for the day. And watch as the traffic gets less and less. Where else in the world would you sit in a field with your camping kettle listening to a radio for 8 hours. Then you hear that chopper over head and all hell brakes lose.
I'm 54 now but for 2weeks every year I'm 18 again but without the long hair. I went out on the bike yesterday round Ramsbottom Darwin area. And every now and then I could of been riding through Foxdale or heading upto the gosseneck and it brings the smells and that chilled out feeling I don't get any where else in the world. I think when your at the tt you release how lucky you are to be doing something that 1000s of peaple never get to do. The only consolation is it's not just me that won't be there. We was thinking of missing a year soon to take the bike to Iceland. But we now no we need to save enough money to do both. A year away from the island doesn't bear thinking of.
31-05-2020, 10:03 AM
Find Reply
dommyman Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 21
The whole Covid 19 episode has got me down, and I really miss not having a normal life.  I miss seeing my grandchildren most of all and mixing with my everyday friends.  When you watch the evening news on telly, you realise things could be a lot worse and I am grateful that nobody I know has been infected yet.  We should be going over on Tuesday and are really disappointed that it is not going to happen.  We have booked for next year and just hope that things are more or less back to normal by then and I can enjoy a kipper bap at the Peel Tea Kiosk.
31-05-2020, 10:57 AM
Find Reply
Chris_Sav Offline
Administrator

Threads: 124
Looks like a lot more might not have been happy today! Manannan appears to have turned around on its way to the mainland and gone back to Douglas this morning at a very slow speed.
[Image: chris-quill-blue.gif]Laurel Bank II Marshal, Classic TT & Manx GP
31-05-2020, 12:10 PM
Find Reply
Nev14 Offline

Threads: 1
Chris the Manannan is programmed to loose powe on at least one of its engine during TT week.
31-05-2020, 09:45 PM
Find Reply
laverda77 Offline

Threads: 9
Should have been over last week with the wife,for the week before practice week,in a hotel,and the weather we missed was great ,looking at the webcams.Then i was going over TT week with tent and no vehicle to Quarterbridge campsite for 5 days,the wife wont do camping anymore.Miss the couple of beers at the Duke of Rothesay Heysham after the drive and the anticipation.Miss the doorsteps n beans at the Lord St cafe,Miss kippers but ive had a box sent over,Miss first Okells,wish they sold it on the boat like years ago.Miss wondering where to watch,Peel pubs,variety of machines,Port Erin in the sun,meeting people,cafe visits,church caterers,wild garlic smell. So this weekend im putting up a large frame tent, for the week ,Manx radio on the I pad,and the 3 sheds are to be pubs from the course,just got to name them yet , (QB, Ginger Hall,so far ,3rd undecided yet) the plan is to have a beer in each of them.During this lockdown i found an old train set and Scalextric set, with sidecars, in the loft, so im thinking of setting it up in the tent,hey i may set up the train set alongside and re create the Southern 100 too ...Now where can i get mist and rain?
02-06-2020, 09:15 AM
Find Reply