David D. Banks 13/03/31 – 20/05/20
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
[Image: DavidBnaksRIP.jpg]

Honorary Life Member of the ACU and Past President of the North Western Centre passed away on 20th May 2020

As a talented young engineer in the early 1950’s he was part of a small group of enthusiasts who designed, developed and raced the ‘Anelay Special’ 125cc two strokes and rotary four stroke. David raced these motorcycles at circuits including Oulton Park, Silverstone and the full international circuit at Aintree and he later built and raced his own motorcycles. Engineering, motorcycle racing and, as a result, a love of the Isle of Man were to remain constant throughout his life.

When David married his wife Margaret, in 1954, their honeymoon was spent at the TT and until very recently he was a regular visitor to the Manx Grand Prix, an event which he was proud to have been the ACU Steward at on three occasions.

David was very well regarded as a National Road Race Steward and member of the Panel of Adjudicators and will be remembered for ensuring that the appropriate rules and regulations were adhered to but his quiet and courteous manner meant that this was achieved without any conflict or fuss.  

He was also a very active member of the North Western Centre in all formats of the sport and an examiner on the RAC/ACU Training Scheme.

When John Anelay commissioned a TT themed stained-glass window for St Ninian’s church in the Isle of Man it was David Banks who he asked to do the original design layout.

David is survived by his wife Margaret, son Stuart and daughter Catherine.

[Image: ACUbiglogo.jpg]
29-05-2020, 01:08 PM
Website Find Reply
Splashdown Offline

Threads: 32
RE: David D. Banks 13/03/31 – 20/05/20
I am very proud to have known David, and his son Stuart.
When we last met, he did not look well, and I hope his end was peaceful.
He was a wonderful honest decent man, and worked tirelessly for the North Western Centre, and his love for racing in the Isle of Man never waned.
My sympathy to his family.
RIP David.
31-05-2020, 11:27 PM
Find Reply