Ryan Farquhar hints at road racing return in 2021
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Ryan Farquhar hints at road racing return in 2021
[Image: RyanFarqReturn.jpg]
Ryan Farquhar is the most successful Irish national road racer ever.

Ryan Farquhar has hinted that he could return to road racing next year

The Co Tyrone man has made the admission four years after a serious crash at the North West 200.

In recent years, Farquhar – the most successful national road racer ever – has concentrated on running his highly-successful KMR Kawasaki team.

However, the 44-year-old – who suffered a raft of injuries including a lacerated liver, a punctured lung and two broken feet after coming off in the Supertwin class at the North West in 2016 – says he still considers himself a road racer.

The NW200, Isle of Man TT and Ulster Grand Prix winner quit the sport in 2012 after his uncle, Trevor Ferguson, died in an accident at the Manx Grand Prix.

He made his comeback two years later, but has not raced since his high-speed crash at the North West.

Farquhar said:

“Sometimes I miss it, sometimes I don’t. This past while I do crave that feeling again.

“I’m not retired, I’m still a road racer and in 2021/2022, you don’t know what’s round the corner, you may see me back on the grid again.

“I’m not saying definitely, but I would like to give it another go. At this minute in time the thought is there.

“All I’d say is just watch this space.”

Farquhar was speaking on BBC Sport NI’s King of the Road – Tandragee 100 programme, which is due to be screened online on the BBC Sport NI Website tonight at 19:00 BST.

The special broadcast focuses on the Armagh road race, which was set to celebrate its 60th anniversary this year before the Covid-19 pandemic effectively wiped out the road racing season.

[Image: newletterlogo.jpg]
Kyle White

11-08-2020, 05:10 PM
Website Find Reply