Silverstone success for McAMS Yamaha
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Silverstone success for McAMS Yamaha
[Image: McAmsYamahaHdr.jpg]

There were celebrations all round for the McAMS Yamaha team after a successful weekend at Silverstone saw the squad score five podium finishes across the three races.

The team were confident after Tarran Mackenzie’s victory on Saturday with team-mate O’Halloran completing the podium in third and having broken lap records towards the end of the race, the duo would start first and second on the grid for Sunday’s first encounter.

A strong start saw the pair at the front from the off with O’Halloran holding the advantage initially for the team in second behind race leader Josh Brookes. However, Mackenzie was on a charge and he moved into second place with O’Halloran dropping behind Suzuki’s Ryde for fourth.

Both riders looked comfortable towards mid-race distance, Tarran glued to the back of Brookes for the lead and Jason well within the podium fight as the leading quartet began to break away.

As Mackenzie looked to make his move for the lead, disappointment would strike as he was forced to retire with a technical issue.

Lone McAMS Yamaha rider for the second half of the race, O’Halloran flew the flag well for the Fleetwood-based squad, hounding the Ducati of Brookes after Suzuki’s Ryde took the lead. Unfortunately, he’d narrowly miss out on second, crossing the line 0.074 seconds behind the Ducati.

Determined to get back to the sharp end after the issue in race two, Mackenzie faced a tough challenge starting ninth for the third and final race but knew he could fight his way through after winning from 12th on Saturday. O’Halloran settled into second in the early stages as Mackenzie fought through the pack.

A charging Christian Iddon made life difficult for the duo, but they’d eventually get past to sit neck and neck as they looked to chase down race leader Ryde. Unfortunately, the previous battle had used the best of their tyres meaning they had no answer for the Suzuki leaving them to cross the line in a commendable 2-3 for the team with Mackenzie leading the way.

O’Halloran’s trio of rostrums sees him move fifth in the title chase, now sitting just nine points adrift of second-placed Josh Brookes and 44 off the lead, while Mackenzie’s victory and second sees him seventh overall heading into Rounds 10/11/12 of the championship at Oulton Park in two weeks’ time.

[Image: McAmsatSilverstone.jpg]

Tarran Mackenzie  - Race 2 DNF / Race 3 2nd

“I can’t complain, it’s been a good weekend. I’ve had no podiums all year so to leave here with two and the team on the podium in every race is really positive, not just for me but also for the team.

“This is a track that works well for the Yamaha so it was nice to come here and use that to our advantage and capitalise on it. I was really disappointed to have the technical issue in race two as I deserved a bit more than that. I was feeling really comfortable at the front, was saving my tyre nicely and was hoping to have a bit of a dig at the end so to pull out was really unfortunate. I wanted to bounce back in the last race, starting ninth wasn’t ideal and I did my best to get past people, it was tough and times and I used a lot of the tyre getting by so once I was through I didn’t have much else for Kyle, he was setting a great pace out front so I rode my own race, tried to fend off Jason, which I managed to do. I’m feeling good on the bike, we haven’t changed it since Snetterton now so that’s a good thing going to Oulton Park fully fit and full of confidence. I can’t wait to get going now.”

Jason O'Halloran - Race 2 3rd / Race 3 3rd

“This was a really strong weekend, the best weekend I’ve had with McAMS Yamaha. In two out of three races both me and Taz were on the box which is great for the team and I was also on the podium in all three. We obviously wall want more and I desperately want to win a race but we’re doing what we need to at the minute in terms of collecting the points. We’ll keep doing what we are doing, looking to improve the bike and keep trying to get stronger as we have been over the first three rounds. I’m looking forward to Oulton Park, it’s one of my favourite tracks and last year when we raced there I was not in the best condition with the injuries so I can’t wait to get back fully fit and see what we can do in a couple of weeks.”

Steve Rodgers - Team Principal

“That’s the best weekend the team has ever had, five BSB podiums including a win. Both riders performed incredibly, I can’t fault them and they fully deserve it as they have both worked so, so hard to get to the sharp end. The whole team has, everybody works so hard for this.

“We were gutted that Taz had to pull out of the second race, which could have been another win, but these things happen in racing and the important thing was that we bounced back in race two. He got a bit held up coming through the pack but to finish second is another incredible result.

“Jason’s season has been mega, he’s now had five podiums this year so he’s consistently scoring points and he’s only nine points off second in the championship so we’re still in the fight at the half way point. There’s a long way to go and we’ve now got both riders brimming with confidence and can’t wait to get to our home round at Oulton now!”

(This post was last modified: 07-09-2020, 12:35 PM by Malcolm.)
07-09-2020, 12:34 PM
Website Find Reply