Darryl Tweed full of optimism for 2021
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Darryl Tweed full of optimism for 2021
[Image: DarrylyTweedReport.jpg]
Darryl Tweed claimed a runner-up finish on the Stanley Stewart Racing Yamaha at the Cookstown 100.

Darryl Tweed full of optimism for 2021 as Ballymoney racer makes good progress after Cookstown 100 crash

Tweed excelled at the only Irish road race of the year with a brace of runner-up finishes in the Supersport and Supertwin races behind Adam McLean.

The 30-year-old was one of the standout performers at the Co Tyrone meeting, where Tweed claimed podium finishes on Stanley Stewart’s 600 Yamaha and the McAdoo Kawasaki Supertwin.

He grasped his chance in the Supertwin race after being granted the opportunity to ride in the McAdoo machine, narrowly holding off Michael Sweeney to complete a one-two for Winston and Jason McAdoo’s team at their home race.

However, the day ended on a painful note for Tweed, who crashed out of the lead of the Lightweight Supersport race on the final lap on the M&D Kawasaki 400.

The former Manx Grand Prix winner sustained a number of broken bones in the incident and Tweed returned to Craigavon Area hospital on Tuesday for a review of his injuries, which included a broken hip, ankle and heel bone.

He told the News Letter:

“It was a brilliant day for me at the Cookstown and I was very happy with all my results. I had a great run on Stanley Stewart’s 600 for second place and the again on the McAdoo Supertwin, when we just managed to hold off Micko Sweeney for another runner-up result - the bike never missed a beat.

“There’s maybe some hope on the horizon that we could get another run out on the McAdoo Kawasaki in the future at a national road race, but it would be really nice to get it for the likes of the North West 200.

“But I haven’t talked to them about anything like that so we’ll just have to see if anything comes of it,” he added.

“I talked with Adam (McLean) before the race and he told me I really had a good chance to shine, so I went out and tried hard and I think it showed that we have what it takes to get some good results.

“It was really my first proper run on a Kawasaki Supertwin because I only rode a 650cc Suzuki before that. I did have a spin on Jamie Hamilton’s bike at a time but this was completely different.”

Tweed believes the machinery he had at his disposal allowed him to fulfil his true potential at the 2.1-mile Orritor course, where he made a big step forward at Irish national level.

“Stanley’s bike is working a treat and I’ve just got that bit more that I needed on the exit of the corners. I was able to get into the corners fine before but now I’ve got the punch to go with the other boys coming out of the corners,” he said.

“I’ve got the machinery to stick with them now and tyres that let me put the power to the ground. It’s whetted my appetite now for more but it’ll just be a long wait until next year.

“But I’m feeling a lot better in my body now and more spritely in myself after the accident, so hopefully after this visit to the hospital we’ll get the all-clear and then I can concentrate on getting fit again before Christmas.

“I should be ready to go testing with the boys again in February all being away and I don’t see myself being off my feet terribly long.

“I’m just trying to keep as positive as I can in the meantime and I’m looking forward to next year.”

[Image: newletterlogo.jpg]
Kyle White

23-09-2020, 02:06 PM
Website Find Reply