Peter williams
Revvin rich Offline

Threads: 70
Peter williams
I have just read that Peter Williams has died at the age of 81 he was a brilliant rider and engineer RIP Peter
22-12-2020, 02:40 PM
Find Reply
captainsparkledotcom Offline

Threads: 364
RE: Peter williams
I heard that on "social media" yesterday, but couldn't find any "official" news 'til this morning. 
A shame, he always seemed such a nice chap.
A top class motorcycle racer and a top class engineer, he will be greatly missed.
R.I.P. Peter Williams

https://www.bikesportnews.com/news/news-...s-had-died

P.S. It reminds me, in the 70s there was a documentary on TV about Peter Williams & the Norton, it even included his crash, if i remember correctly. It had a big impression on me, must see if I can find it somewhere!  (does anyone else remember it?)
(This post was last modified: 22-12-2020, 03:13 PM by captainsparkledotcom.)
22-12-2020, 03:11 PM
Website Find Reply
bsa499 Offline

Threads: 48
Peter Williams was a truly great motorcycle racer, particularly at the TT. His collaboration with Tom Arter using a John Surtees designed frame produced, what were in my opinion, the ultimate British racing singles the Arter Matchless and its 350cc counterpart the Arter AJS. His 1973 Formula 750 victory on the monocoque Norton, a machine he designed, which was powered by the essentially obsolete Norton twin was an incredible achievement. Rest in peace Peter.
22-12-2020, 06:18 PM
Find Reply
sprocket Offline

Threads: 7
Sad news indeed.
R.I.P Peter
22-12-2020, 08:05 PM
Find Reply
SILJA Offline

Threads: 38
I heard a talk by Peter Williams at the Swedish museum MC Collection some years ago. He talked about something that I never thought about. That the outgoing shaft from the gear box on a motorbike is bending a little when you twist the trottle grip and give power. Clever indeed!
Don't be that optimistic! The light in the tunnel can be a train. Sad
(This post was last modified: 23-12-2020, 09:29 AM by SILJA.)
23-12-2020, 09:27 AM
Website Find Reply
Rednine Offline

Threads: 5
Very sad news, I had the news from Andover Norton a couple of days ago. Particularlly poignant as I have recently started reading Peter Williams book "Designed to Race" an excellent biographical read. I remember with great awe watching PW hammer down from the Barregarrow crossroads and grazing his left shoulder against the cottage wall at the bottom as he then sped away into the long left hander. Great memories, great engineer and brave rider.

Smoke me a kipper...........................I'll be back for breakfast Icon_wink
23-12-2020, 01:37 PM
Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
[Image: PeterWilliamsRIP.jpg]
Peter Williams (right) lining up with John Player Norton team-mate Dave Croxford in 1974

Former TT winner and lap record-holder, Peter Williams, died on Sunday at the age of 82.

His first podium finish on the Mountain Course came in the 1965 Manx Grand Prix when he was third in the Lightweight won by Manxman Dennis Craine.

He was runner-up in the 1966 Junior TT to Giacomo Agostini, seventh in the Senior. In 1967 he was runner-up to Mike Hailwood in the Diamond Jubilee Senior TT after Ago retired with a snapped chain. Williams was almost eight minutes adrift.

Astride Tom Arter’s G50, he finished runner-up once again to Ago in the 1970 Senior, and in the 750 Production behind Malcolm Uphill.

Another second in the Senior to Ago followed in 1971, plus further third and second places in the Production races in 1972 and 1973 respectively.

Peter finally achieved the win he so richly deserved in the 1973 Formula 750 on the John Player Norton, lapping in excess of 107mph, followed by one final runner-up spot in the Senior to Jack Findlay.

His career ended following a hefty crash at Oulton Park in 1974, from which he never properly recovered.

[Image: iomtodaynewlogo.jpg]

24-12-2020, 05:57 PM
Website Find Reply
kilbil Offline

Threads: 13
I rebember the fatefull when spectating at oulton only to find out Peter Williams had parted from his macine at cascades due to the tank seat unit becoming dislodged and throwing him off. I can also rememder Peter flat out through the  bottom of Bray on his g45 matcless.

Rest in peace Pete.

Kilbil
(This post was last modified: 24-12-2020, 08:31 PM by kilbil.)
24-12-2020, 08:26 PM
Find Reply