Dakar Rally 2021
Sam Pato Offline

Threads: 24
Dakar Rally 2021
I've been following it (Dakar) closely to see how our sponsored rider David Knight is fairing.  I think its fair to say that its been a learning experience for him but as expected from such an exceptionally talented rider he's doing reasonably well.  If anyone is interested in more information daily updates on the Dakar website:

https://www.dakar.com/en/

And Davids other sponsors Spirit of Motorsport TV are proving daily updates on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCknTZpF...UZtN5dKSfQ

Although probably unrelated (to the other Baragwanath in a recent thread) there is a Brian Baragwanath doing reasonably well in the privateer ranks of this years Dakar.

Cheers,

Sam

[Disclosure: Our sponsorship is to the tune of 25GBP on the go fund me page - but we are still claiming sponsor status]
Warning Level 0% since 2006
(This post was last modified: 08-01-2021, 12:36 AM by Sam Pato.)
08-01-2021, 12:35 AM
Find Reply
Chrisp955 Offline

Threads: 21
RE: Dakar Rally 2021
Thanks for putting that link up Sam. I will give them reports a look at. The Dakar reports on line just cover the top 10 at best. Use to watch it on Eurosport in the evenings. Don't think it's on any channels at the moment.
08-01-2021, 05:30 PM
Find Reply
Sam Pato Offline

The Dakar daily summary - same as was on Eurosport are also on YouTube. They're presented in 5 minute clips but if you put them together its basically the same show as we're getting on TV here.

Cheers

Sam
08-01-2021, 10:10 PM
Find Reply
Sam Pato Offline

I find it helps kill the time while I'm waiting for another Who What Where When picture 😀😀
08-01-2021, 10:12 PM
Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
[Image: DaveKnightDakar.jpg]

Knighter completes Dakar Rally

David Knight has successfully completed the gruelling Dakar Rally at the first attempt.

The 42-year-old Ballaugh ace rounded off an impressive first race by claiming a second top-20 finish on the final stage into Jeddah today (Friday).

The Manxman safely navigated the 447-kilometre route around Saudi Arabia in a time of two hours 44 minutes and 33 seconds, some 27m 31s behind stage winner Ricky Brabec, which was enough for 20th place on the day.

That result enabled Knighter to move up one place in the overall classification to 24th at the end of the extreme endurance rally raid.

In doing so, the Manxman was the fifth highest rookie and the second best British rider in the event behind third-placed Sam Sunderland. The overall winner was Kevin Benavides.

Knighter is being supported by UGGLY & CO, a clothing brand created and woven from a passion for extreme sports including skiing, skateboarding, motorsports and downhill mountain biking.

After his title sponsor pulled out, the company approached him with one aim in mind, helping Knighter get to the Dakar.

Continue to support him through www.ugglyandco.com

[Image: iomtodaynewlogo.jpg]
15-01-2021, 05:32 PM
Website Find Reply
Sam Pato Offline

In modern parlance the term legend is greatly overused but in the enduro world at least David Knight is a genuine legend. Three times world champion amongst many other achievements that include 2 wins at Erzberg.

It was interesting watching his video updates and I think it became clear that he was finding the navigation a challenge but also that he was a bit shocked at the risks that the top guys were prepared to take on a daily basis.

It'll be interesting to see if he goes back, but regardless it was a great achievement for him to get a decent finish at his first attempt and underlines his talent. What it doesn't mention above is that he suffered two cracked ribs on the second day but still knocked out another 9 days of 500-800km days in the saddle to get his finish - but I don't suppose you reach his level without a good bit of mettle.

We'll done Knighter.

Sam
18-01-2021, 08:44 AM
Find Reply