Murray Walker
bsa499 Offline

Threads: 48
Murray Walker
It was reported today that Murray Walker died aged 97. Nowadays he's best known as 'the voice' of Formula 1 motor racing, but well before that he succeeded his father as 'the voice' of the TT races. I well remember his commentaries of the TT races for the BBC, at a time when Grand Prix motorcycle racing actually received the coverage it deserved. A great man and a true TT supporter. Rest in peace Murray.
13-03-2021, 09:00 PM
Find Reply
scaramanga Offline

Threads: 25
RE: Murray Walker
just seen this
sad news
i lost a good friend last year who i met at the tt
his claim to fame was while we were at nec for bike show 1 year using the gents Murray turned up and stood next to him

rip murray
rip chris
ill miss both for different reasons both legends
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

proud to own and ride a british motorcycle  triumph daytona 675 Hehe
13-03-2021, 11:08 PM
Find Reply
Revvin rich Online

Threads: 70
A true legend and a very passionate person about motor sport everybody will remember him for F1 but his first love was motorbike racing and especially the TT where his father was a TT winner                                                RIP Murray you will sadly be missed
14-03-2021, 08:52 AM
Find Reply
BRADDAN OAK Offline

Threads: 21
VERY SAD NEWS, HE WAS ONE OF THE BEST, R. I. P. MURRAY.

14-03-2021, 10:21 AM
Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
[Image: MurrayWalkerRIP.jpg]
Murray Walker with Manx Radio's Tim Glover

TT fan Murray Walker has died

Legendary Formula One commentator passes away

Legendary Formula One commentator Murray Walker has died at the age of 97.

Despite being famous for his love of four-wheeled motorsport he often referred to the TT races as the 'greatest sporting event of any kind in the world'.

His father, Graham, competed at the event from 1920 to 1934 and won the 1931 Lightweight class.

Murray himself commentated on the TT, for the BBC, in 1949 before Manx Radio was established in 1964.

It was reported he wanted his ashes scattered at Guthrie's Memorial on the Mountain Course.

He also commentated for Manx Radio TT, at the 2011 celebration of the centenary of Mountain Course, when a special parade marking moments of TT history was staged.

He spoke to Geraldine Jamieson for Manx Radio in 2000:

[Image: manxradiologo.jpg]

14-03-2021, 01:31 PM
Website Find Reply