Home hero Lowes to start from front row at Silverstone
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Home hero Lowes to start from front row at Silverstone
[Image: SamLowesSilverstoneFrontRow.jpg]

Elf Marc VDS Racing Team rider Sam Lowes came within a whisker of taking a sensational home pole position at Silverstone this afternoon, with the Briton qualifying third and Augusto Fernandez starting the 18-lap race from the third row of the grid.

A record-breaking Moto2 Q2 session ended with Lowes missing out on a third British Grand Prix pole position by just 0.081s, with Fernandez close to the top six in a session that took place in the hottest conditions of the weekend so far.

The 18-lap British Grand Prix concludes the World Championship race action tomorrow at 1430pm local time.

AUGUSTO FERNANDEZ: 7th, 2:04.588

After a problematic FP3, the Spaniard launched a brilliant recovery in Q2 and set his best time of the weekend on his last flying lap in the dramatic 15-minute session.

Despite missing out a top six grid position, Fernandez still firmly believes he can fight for a second British Grand Prix success and extend his stunning podium streak to four in four successive races.

“We’ll try to fight at the front in the race”

“I’m happy with my performance in Q2 and I’m satisfied even though it would obviously be better to start inside the top six. We got a bit lost in FP3 this morning, so it was great in such a short Q2 session to find a good feeling again and be competitive. We made a good step in Q2 but it’s clear we’re still missing something, but we can analyse the data tonight and try and be stronger to fight at the front in the race.”

SAM LOWES: 3rd, 2’04.069

Inspired by a passionate home crowd, Lowes powered his Kalex machine to a sensational time of 2:04.069 on his third lap in Q2, which set a new all-time lap record around Silverstone’s fast and challenging layout.

Records continued to tumble and while Marco Bezzecchi delivered a show-stopping pole lap of 2:03.988, Lowes was still able to secure his seventh front row start of 2021.

“I know I will be in the fight at the front”

“I’ve got to be happy because that’s my best Moto2 lap ever here at Silverstone and I know I gave it my all. It would have been brilliant to take another pole position but I’m still happy to be on the front row. I’m looking forward to a good race now. I feel we’ve had good pace all weekend and I’m ready. I expect a lot of guys to be fast and in the lead group, but I know I will be in the fight at the front. It’s incredible to feel the support of the home crowd and I’m determined to send them home happy tomorrow with a positive result.”

[Image: ElfVDSLogo.jpg]

29-08-2021, 10:04 AM
Website Find Reply