No TT Zero for two more years
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
[Image: ManxRadioLogo.jpg]

Category was temporarily pulled in 2019

The TT Zero will not be returning to the Mountain Course for the next two years.

In 2019 it was announced the category would be removed from the schedule - the TT was then cancelled in 2020 and this year due to Covid-19.

At the time the Department for Enterprise said this was due to low participation numbers and the slow development of clean-emissions machines.

Minister Dr Alex Allinson has confirmed his department is also looking to create policies, and practices, to reduce the carbon footprint of the TT races in general:

[Image: ListenHere.jpg]

10-12-2021, 10:14 AM
Website Find Reply
Revvin rich Offline

Threads: 70
RE: No TT Zero for two more years
I know it's technology and this will be the future in years to come but sadly they don't do much to create my interest when there's only 7 or maybe 10 bikes in the race and no sound and only 1 lap no thanks I've been going to the TT since 1962 and heard all sorts of bikes singles twins 3 cylinders 4 cylinders 6 cylinders now that's what I call interesting viewing, I can't see personally people paying a lot of money to watch electric bikes round the TT course for 2 weeks but of course that is only my view.
13-12-2021, 11:41 PM
Find Reply
sprocket Offline

Threads: 7
I don't think you're alone on this Rich. For me, as a petrol head, it's about the noise and smell of engines that gives me goose bumps.
Last time I watched the zero race was from Union Mills and a lot of people were saying it just doesn't 'hit the spot'
14-12-2021, 10:17 AM
Find Reply
eman1948 Offline

Threads: 6
What race, it was a joke.
14-12-2021, 10:20 AM
Find Reply
Splashdown Offline

Threads: 32
Although I am completely anti electric vehicles, (except for city centre use), I would say that a field of 50+ electric bikes would still be a spectacle. Yes, the sound and the smell would be gone, but watching the top men (and ladies) through (say) Gorse Lea would still be a sight to behold. Only problem is that the best entry so far has been for about 10 machines!!
I still hold out hope for the good old I.C.E. I am reasonably confident that someone will come up with either a 2 stroke or a 4 stroke engine that has a better carbon footprint than an electric motor, especially when you consider the battery.
14-12-2021, 11:14 AM
Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Offline
Administrator

Threads: 13
I totally fail to see how the heavy industry mining of expendable rare metal ores and the shipping to refining factories can ever be signed off as green, if the Zero Racing didn't come with so much force-fed climate doublespeak i'd be more interested but like many of these agendas there's never a balanced view offered ... that and my friends bike shop has an importer currently trying to offer electric bikes which are £20k new and have a truly outstanding ground breaking mileage range of..........................80 miles..........80 whole miles I tell thee.
14-12-2021, 11:05 PM
Find Reply