Baz makes WorldSBK return with Bonovo action BMW alongside Laverty at Jerez test
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Baz makes WorldSBK return with Bonovo action BMW alongside Laverty at Jerez test
[Image: ELavertytesting1.jpg]

The expanded Bonovo action team got on track in Spain to conclude their first test with Loris Baz and Eugene Laverty

Bonovo action BMW Racing Team took to the track at the Circuito de Jerez – Angel Nieto for the first time as a two-rider line-up in the MOTUL FIM Superbike World Championship as Loris Baz made his return to the Championship. He was joined on track in southern Spain by Irishman Eugene Laverty, embarking on his third season as a works BMW rider.

Baz is returning to a WorldSBK after a year competing in the United States and on a BMW machine in WorldSBK for the first time since 2018, when he rode the BMW S 1000 RR which was replaced in the Championship in 2020. It was therefore his first taste of the BMW M 1000 RR with his new team. On Wednesday, the first day of the test, Baz was able to complete 90 laps, and while official lap times were not provided for the test, Speedweek reported Baz posted a 1’41.135s on Wednesday before improving to a 1’40.797s on Thursday. Baz spent the test understanding how the BMW machine works after riding a Ducati in the United States and a Yamaha in WorldSBK in 2020.

Explaining his thoughts on his full-time return to WorldSBK action, Baz said:

“I am happy to be back with BMW and the opportunity to be back in WorldSBK. I was really looking forward to that test to have a first impression. The test was a lot of work, we did a lot of laps. Also, I was back on the bike after nearly three months and it is never easy when you jump on a bike that is completely different. The test was about understanding how the bike works and also to try to give the best input based on the differences of all the bikes I know. The M RR has a lot of strong points, we just need to put them together to get a bike that works well from a riding side. When you start working with a new bike, you have to switch from one riding style to another, but we did a good job, completing over 150 laps. We tried some new parts for next year and mainly a lot of things on the electronics, and with every run we went faster, and I felt a bit more confident on the bike. I am satisfied with the job so far.”

Laverty helped develop the M 1000 RR before it was introduced for racing and will embark on his third season in WorldSBK on BMW machinery after joining the factory team in 2020, before a switch to the satellite RC Squadra Corse outfit for 2021. Both Laverty and Baz have spent time at the Bonovo factory but were able to get back on the bike, with Laverty reportedly posting a lap time of 1’40.612s on Wednesday and 1’40.483s on Thursday. Laverty was able to complete 69 laps on the Thursday of the test.

Reflecting on the test, Laverty said:

“The first test days with the team have been very positive. I felt comfortable on the bike immediately after the first couple of exits on day one. I feel good in braking which is an area I am always working on. I am happy with the progress we are making. There is still work to do to improve our turning in the long corners compared to the other BMW riders but I am happy that we are right there in the mix. There is a really good atmosphere in the box, I get on very well with Loris. He is a fast guy and that’s important, to have a fast teammate to push you. We work together well, and all the guys are experienced as well. It’s a great crew and I think we have a good year ahead of us.”

Michael Galinski, Team Manager at Bonovo action BMW Racing Team, added:

“It has been the first test for the new season and the first time for us to be at the racetrack with the big team. We have a lot of new people with us, also the riders are partly new for us. Of course, we have known both for many years. Loris has already raced for our team and I have also known Eugene for quite some time. Both did a great job at the test. But not only that, it was also important for me to gel with the new members as a team and to get used to each other. That worked very well. The collaboration with SMR and Bonovo action also works very well. There are always a lot of things to try and when time allows, we share this between us. The test has been very positive in all aspects, we are also happy with the lap times. But we still have some things to find and work to do.”

[Image: wsblogosmall.jpg]

17-12-2021, 12:33 PM
Website Find Reply